China Cruises Cancelled?

mugtech

3 hours ago, AlanTBT said:

We are due to pay our cruise balance this Friday for our 22nd May Hong Hong/Shanghai/China/Japan cruise. This morning the UK Governement issued their updated travel advice to 'only essential travel'. I have checked with our insurance company and this means if we go ahead and make the final payment then we are not covered for any cancellation (including our own illness). I have spoken to the agent today and they have put the final payment date back by 4 weeks. Hopefully in that time either, NCL will have made alternative arrangements for the cruise or the spread of the outbreak will be better understood and the travel advice relaxed. Sadly I fully expect neither to occur.

Alan,

I just spoke to a friend who is on a similar trip to you in March, Hong Kong > Shanghai > Korea > Japan with Cunard.

They have received a letter today to say they will still stop at Shanghai for 2 days but nobody will be able to depart the ship.

However, the same trip in February Shanghai has been replaced by Singapore so he is expecting a similar change closer to the time (depending how the virus progresses).

Thought this info might be helpful to you to see how Cunard are handling it.

It's less deadly than the flu.  Many more people die from the flu every year, in every country.  I really don't see why everyone is panicking so much over Coronavirus and not the flu.  Places oceans away are selling out of masks and yet I see no one banging down the doors of their local drug store to get this year's flu shot.  It's just plain ridiculous.

The media likes scaremongering for clicks, I guess.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, desibee said:

It's less deadly than the flu.  Many more people die from the flu every year, in every country.  I really don't see why everyone is panicking so much over Coronavirus and not the flu.  Places oceans away are selling out of masks and yet I see no one banging down the doors of their local drug store to get this year's flu shot.  It's just plain ridiculous.

The fact that China is building 2 new hospitals just for the Coronavirus terrifies me.  If anything, we are not getting all the info vs scaremongering like you suggest.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

The fact that China is building 2 new hospitals just for the Coronavirus terrifies me.  If anything, we are not getting all the info vs scaremongering like you suggest.

It's pretty standard procedure to build new hospitals for outbreaks.  Beijing did it for SARs. after all.  It's still not a reason to be terrified.  Guess who died from SARS?  People with compromised immune systems, the elderly, and young children.  Guess who dies from the flu every year?  People with compromised immune systems, the elderly, and young children.

Did you also freak out over swine flu?  MERS? 

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. As such, due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, we are implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all passengers embarking in Hong Kong. Our vessels are currently not calling to ports in mainland China. Guests who register a body temperature screening of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher and are embarking on a voyage in Hong Kong, will not be allowed to board. In addition, guests who have visited mainland China in the last 30 days, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. Please note that mainland China does not include Hong Kong. At this time, there are no changes to our itineraries. We also have the flexibility to alter our itineraries as needed to avoid areas of concern. As always, we will monitor the situation closely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Norwegian Cruise Line said:

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. As such, due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, we are implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all passengers embarking in Hong Kong. Our vessels are currently not calling to ports in mainland China. Guests who register a body temperature screening of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher and are embarking on a voyage in Hong Kong, will not be allowed to board. In addition, guests who have visited mainland China in the last 30 days, will not be allowed to board any of our vessels. Please note that mainland China does not include Hong Kong. At this time, there are no changes to our itineraries. We also have the flexibility to alter our itineraries as needed to avoid areas of concern. As always, we will monitor the situation closely.

Considering the news about the likely incubation period of this virus and that not all those infected will show symptoms, this non-touch temperature screening is nothing more than 'security theater' not unlike how the TSA functions in airports.  It's mostly useless but the show will ease the fears of the general public and prevent lawsuits. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, desibee said:

Considering the news about the likely incubation period of this virus and that not all those infected will show symptoms, this non-touch temperature screening is nothing more than 'security theater' not unlike how the TSA functions in airports.  It's mostly useless but the show will ease the fears of the general public and prevent lawsuits. 

Well said. Many cruise lines and airlines are allowing flexibility to passengers. NCL ( and Holland America, I think) being extremely rigid with foolish policies that do little, if anything, to ensure the true safety, health, and well-being of their passengers. Also, assuming your flight isn't cancelled,  they're requiring passengers to possibly travel in, near or through territories where virus has presented itself in order to meet the ship in Hong Kong. Think about that scenario....someone picks up the illness at an airport or on an airplane en route, shows up at the port without symptoms so passes the "screening", and boards the ship infected. So careless and irresponsible.

In an overabundance of care and caution, MSC, Royal and Costa have done the prudent thing, which is to cancel sailings calling in, near, or around infected territory. Their actions (not words) speak to their true concern for the safety, health and well being of their passengers 

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Well said. Many cruise lines and airlines are allowing flexibility to passengers. NCL ( and Holland America, I think) being extremely rigid with foolish policies that do little, if anything, to ensure the true safety, health, and well-being of their passengers. Also, assuming your flight isn't cancelled,  they're requiring passengers to possibly travel in, near or through territories where virus has presented itself in order to meet the ship in Hong Kong. Think about that scenario....someone picks up the illness at an airport or on an airplane en route, shows up at the port without symptoms so passes the "screening", and boards the ship infected. So careless and irresponsible.

In an overabundance of care and caution, MSC, Royal and Costa have done the prudent thing, which is to cancel sailings calling in, near, or around infected territory. Their actions (not words) speak to their true concern for the safety, health and well being of their passengers 

Next time I book(over 30 cruises so far), I WILL NOT book with HAL.  I will look at RCCI, MSC.  I will not spend a penny on HAL ever again.  

5 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Don't misunderstand, I think all this fuss and bother over coronavirus is stupid in the extreme.  If you wouldn't close an airport for an outbreak of the flu then you shouldn't be champing at the bit to do so for this.  If you're old, already sick or immuno compromised, or a baby/toddler then stay home.  Otherwise wash your hands, stop touching your face, and get on with your life/vacation.

However, I do think that if people want to cancel their cruises because of their panic/paranoia then they should be allowed to do so and receive a full refund.  I think you should receive a full refund if you cancel your cruise for any reason up to a certain time period before embarkation.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrpotatohead said:

We are on the Jade from HK to Singapore today, and just got an email stating that anybody who has visited mainland China in the last 30 days will be denied boarding with a full refund. I imagine we will see some angry people at the terminal this morning. 

But at least they will get a refund.  HAL said they cannot board(if visited Wuhan in last 14 days I think) and no refund will be given.  

Health Alert – U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau (28 January 2020)

Home | News & Events | Health Alert – U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau (28 January 2020)

Event: Coronavirus Outbreak in China

The Department of State has raised the Travel Advisory for mainland China to Level 3: Reconsider Travel due to the novel coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Warning: Avoid all nonessential travel to mainland China. Chinese authorities are imposing quarantines and restricting travel throughout the country. Travelers to mainland China should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.

The State Department’s Travel Advisories for Hong Kong and Macau have not changed at this time. The Hong Kong and Macau governments have both placed restrictions on entry to their respective special administrative regions to individuals who have been to Hubei province, China within the previous 14 days. The Hong Kong government announced January 28 it will close temporarily certain transportation links and border checkpoints connecting Hong Kong with mainland China beginning January 30.

Hong Kong and Macau have both reported cases of the novel coronavirus in their special administrative regions. Hong Kong has declared the coronavirus outbreak to be an emergency, the highest response level, and may quarantine those it believes have been exposed to the coronavirus.

Actions to Take:

• Reconsider travel to mainland China. If you do travel, review the China International Travel Information website at travel.state.gov.
  • Monitor the Hong Kong government’s website on the coronavirus infection.
  • Monitor the Macau government’s website for updates on the coronavirus infection.
  • If you traveled to Hubei province and feel sick, or were exposed to someone who was in Hubei province in the last six weeks who has fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, seek medical care immediately. For the most up-to-date information, consult the CDC website.
  • CDC recommendations include frequent, thorough hand washing and cough etiquette (maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, and wash hands).

Assistance:

U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau
+852 2841 2211
+852 2523 9011 (after hours)
ACSHK@state.gov

Got the following mail regarding my upcoming cruise:

Dear Valued Guest,

Due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, we will be denying boarding to any guest who has visited mainland China in the last 30 days. These guests will receive a refund for their cruise provided they provide proof of travel in the form of airline tickets or similar. Please note that mainland China does not include Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan.

In addition, we are implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all passengers embarking in Hong Kong. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board. These guests will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider. 

Please know that the safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for your diligence and assistance in helping to ensure all our guests and crew remain in good health. We also thank you for your continued loyalty. For questions regarding the coronavirus, please visit the website for the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

To begin the refund process, please submit your proof of travel in the form of airline tickets or similar, along with your cruise reservation number to guestrelations@ncl.com.

49 minutes ago, lixogab said:

Got the following mail regarding my upcoming cruise:

Dear Valued Guest,

Due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, we will be denying boarding to any guest who has visited mainland China in the last 30 days. These guests will receive a refund for their cruise provided they provide proof of travel in the form of airline tickets or similar. Please note that mainland China does not include Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan.

In addition, we are implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all passengers embarking in Hong Kong. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board. These guests will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider. 

Please know that the safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for your diligence and assistance in helping to ensure all our guests and crew remain in good health. We also thank you for your continued loyalty. For questions regarding the coronavirus, please visit the website for the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

To begin the refund process, please submit your proof of travel in the form of airline tickets or similar, along with your cruise reservation number to guestrelations@ncl.com.

Does this apply to all NCL sailings?

6 minutes ago, blcruising said:

What am I missing here? This policy required them to know who has or hasn't traveled to mainland China. I wonder how they intend to obtain that information?

That’s an interesting question. Who has the burden of proof?
Let’s suppose the guest is a Chinese citizen and has no foreign country residence card.

Will NCL assume he is coming from China?

50 minutes ago, blcruising said:

What am I missing here? This policy required them to know who has or hasn't traveled to mainland China. I wonder how they intend to obtain that information?

Looking at their passports, home address and flight info they entered online can be one way of knowing.

Edited by sfaaa

6 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Looking at their passports, home address and flight info they entered online can be one way of knowing.

Good point. I wonder if they would consider a stopover at the Shanghai airport to be a visit to mainland China? As it relates to US travelers, many flights from JFK connect to Hong Kong via a layover in Shanghai. I wonder if that would disqualify someone from sailing?

8 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Does this apply to all NCL sailings?

It is a NCL letter. 

If you have proof you have been in mainland China, you get a refund. If you show up to board with a fever, you loose all of your money and need to file an insurance claim. 

59 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

So basically no large Chinese tour groups on sailings for the near future. Interesting. 

There HAVE been many Chinese tour groups of late..at least I can say from my experience on my last 3 cruises. 

23 hours ago, desibee said:

I don't think it is panic. Its a virus that is emerging and they do not know everything about it. If its not a big deal then Why did the Americans that were evacuated from china  need to go to a military  base and need 3 days of CDC screening. If neg they can leave and will need to be followed up for another 10 day or so by their public health dept. If  they do not want to stay for the 3 days of screening it will be discussed with the CDC and other depts as how to handle it. 

So yes this is a big deal.The State Department issued a Level 4 advisory for Wuhan, meaning Americans should not travel to the city while the virus has an impact.  It ordered personnel working at the US Consulate in Wuhan to depart for the United States.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, desibee said:

The government has issued a level 3 advisory, Reconsider Travel. I suppose they have reason to believe it is more severe than flu. I think its the unknown of what it could be or could become. Originally thought to have been spread by animals, I believe, but now seeing person to person transmissions. I don't believe there is a vaccine available. Plus, we don't know how many people have been infected yet, we only know what has been reported. I would revise your first sentence to say it is currently less deadly than flu. It is also a much newer virus.

I also agree with your comments about the news media. Lots of hype to get a "story", so you have to sift through the fluff.

1 hour ago, tumblew467 said:

I don't think it is panic. Its a virus that is emerging and they do not know everything about it. If its not a big deal then Why did the Americans that were evacuated from china  need to go to a military  base and need 3 days of CDC screening. If neg they can leave and will need to be followed up for another 10 day or so by their public health dept. If  they do not want to stay for the 3 days of screening it will be discussed with the CDC and other depts as how to handle it. 

So yes this is a big deal.The State Department issued a Level 4 advisory for Wuhan, meaning Americans should not travel to the city while the virus has an impact.  It ordered personnel working at the US Consulate in Wuhan to depart for the United States.

It's a coronavirus, same as SARS and MERS were coronavirus.  And the CDC can take precautions as they wish but it's still silly for someone who's never been to Wuhan and who is young and healthy to freak out about this infection when they probably didn't freak out about MERS a couple years ago.

• Like 1