China Cruises Cancelled?

mugtech

8 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Flying to Hong Kong today for our cruise on the Jade which departs on 30th January.  There’s no indication it will be cancelled as all our ports are in Vietnam and we finish in Singapore! 

Oh man you gotta tell us about halong bay when you get back, onboard shore excursion or independent, book in advance or after you got off the tender, etc...  Have a blast we so want to go on this 7 day adventure, cause we really just want to see halong bay but i cant get off work until feb 6, then i have the rest of the month off, arh ah the timing of it all, oh the horror such great pricing for this incredible itinerary and we cant go

4 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Oh man you gotta tell us about halong bay when you get back, onboard shore excursion or independent, book in advance or after you got off the tender, etc...  Have a blast we so want to go on this 7 day adventure, cause we really just want to see halong bay but i cant get off work until feb 6, then i have the rest of the month off, arh ah the timing of it all, oh the horror such great pricing for this incredible itinerary and we cant go

What is the great pricing per person including port fees & taxes, excluding tips

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

What is the great pricing per person including port fees & taxes, excluding tips

$279 us dollars + $104 tax + $105 tips, ncl jade jan 30 hong kong to singapore , 7 nights, Wow what a great deal, so hard to get to halong if you are not on a cruise

4 minutes ago, Newleno said:

$279 us dollars + $104 tax + $105 tips, ncl jade jan 30 hong kong to singapore , 7 nights, Wow what a great deal, so hard to get to halong if you are not on a cruise

NCl Jade is  slightly cheaper on 17 Feb, HK to Singapore, $523 for 10 nights@53/night, including port fees & taxes, excluding tips.

But no Halong bay

Hong Kong to Singapore  Lowest Price Ever!
10 nights
February 17, 2020
Nha Trang Bangkok Ko Samui Singapore
$526 Inside
$53/day

5 minutes ago, drsel said:

NCl Jade is  slightly cheaper on 17 Feb, HK to Singapore, $523 for 10 nights@53/night, including port fees & taxes, excluding tips.

But no Halong bay

Hong Kong to Singapore  Lowest Price Ever!
10 nights
February 17, 2020
Nha Trang Bangkok Ko Samui Singapore
$526 Inside
$53/day

Yes thank you but as you said no halong bay, halong bay that is the deal breaker

14 hours ago, Newleno said:

Well it is a fluid situation, all depends on the definition of "is" or in this case, "tours", some of the cruises i have been looking at go from sin to hkg, never setting foot on mainland china

13 hours ago, mugtech said:

Dock at Hong Kong is on the mainland, not the island. 

The dock is still in Hong Kong though.

While it is part of China, Hong Kong is a special administration area and consists of the mainland and islands, it has a border and people can't move freely between the two areas. 

It is not unusual or unreasonable to say you are not visiting "mainland China" when visiting Hong Kong, everyone knows what you mean, although technically wrong it is exactly how it feels and is governed with different laws and a land border.

Believe me, the current disorder would not be happening if it was on "mainland China".

• Like 1

The updated news is not good.  As of Sunday Jan 26 we have learned that carriers of this disease can spread it to others before any symptoms appear (symptoms appear 2 -14 days after infection). 

Also the number of infected within China is being greatly under-reported based on first-hand accounts and also based on math... the number of infected people worldwide is 1/25 of the reported cases in China.  That means one in 25 infected people in Wuhan chose to travel internationally... statistically very unlikely.

Current reported death rate is 15%.

Enjoy your cheap cruise.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, dougypk said:

The updated news is not good.  As of Sunday Jan 26 we have learned that carriers of this disease can spread it to others before any symptoms appear (symptoms appear 2 -14 days after infection). 

Also the number of infected within China is being greatly under-reported based on first-hand accounts and also based on math... the number of infected people worldwide is 1/25 of the reported cases in China.  That means one in 25 infected people in Wuhan chose to travel internationally... statistically very unlikely.

Enjoy your cheap cruise.

We are booked on that cruise and have been for 9 months so our balcony stateroom wasn't cheap. We expected the unrest in HongKong to stop by now and things do seem somewhat calmer. We have reservations at the Intercontinental in Hong Kong and they have been very good with advice and we thought that was our biggest worry. How wrong we were every day the news on the virus gets worst, the cruise is in the middle of a trip to the Middle East to see our son so flights and hotels have been sourced independently and although we have insurance the picture on cancellations isn’t clear. Ie if the cruise goes ahead and we decided not to travel to Hong Kong we can’t claim etc

Its a birthday celebration , one of those with a 0 so if it is sensible to go we will.

Honestly for the first time I feel aggrieved with the influx this week of people joining the roll call having bought the cruise at a fraction of the price we paid. I know its not the point and it’s a set of circumstances and neither the lucky folks that have got a good deal or NCL are doing anything wrong its just business.

Its just the price difference is huge. But the price to bid on penthouse balcony or Haven are still high. Mini suites were relative cheap to bid on low bid $45 each but we didn’t want to risk being below public spaces so didn’t bid on those.

@ppcox

I know that you are past Final Payment but phone your TA or the cruise line direct  (personally, I would actually do it by email) and explain.  "We paid $x and the same stateroom is now $y.  Is there anything that you can do for us, please?"   Don't say anything else, no justification, no complaint, no nothing.

With booking reference included in my email and that is all I do.

1 minute ago, casofilia said:

@ppcox

I know that you are past Final Payment but phone your TA or the cruise line direct  (personally, I would actually do it by email) and explain.  "We paid $x and the same stateroom is now $y.  Is there anything that you can do for us, please?"   Don't say anything else, no justification, no complaint, no nothing.

With booking reference included in my email and that is all I do.

Thanks I’ll try that. 

9 minutes ago, ppcox said:

We are booked on that cruise and have been for 9 months so our balcony stateroom wasn't cheap. We expected the unrest in HongKong to stop by now and things do seem somewhat calmer. We have reservations at the Intercontinental in Hong Kong and they have been very good with advice and we thought that was our biggest worry. How wrong we were every day the news on the virus gets worst, the cruise is in the middle of a trip to the Middle East to see our son so flights and hotels have been sourced independently and although we have insurance the picture on cancellations isn’t clear. Ie if the cruise goes ahead and we decided not to travel to Hong Kong we can’t claim etc

Its a birthday celebration , one of those with a 0 so if it is sensible to go we will.

Honestly for the first time I feel aggrieved with the influx this week of people joining the roll call having bought the cruise at a fraction of the price we paid. I know its not the point and it’s a set of circumstances and neither the lucky folks that have got a good deal or NCL are doing anything wrong its just business.

Its just the price difference is huge. But the price to bid on penthouse balcony or Haven are still high. Mini suites were relative cheap to bid on low bid $45 each but we didn’t want to risk being below public spaces so didn’t bid on those.

Usually if the price drops after final payment, you can request compensation in the form of an upgrade, OBC, or future cruise credit.  It's a one-time deal, so if prices go down again, there won't be a second adjustment.  An upgrade would be free or pay the cost difference.  OBC is usually 25% of the cost difference.  FCC is 50% of the cost difference.  If you want an upgrade, do a mock booking to see if there is an actual upgraded room available (not gty) - you (or your TA if you booked through one) can request an upgrade to that specific room and circumvent the bid.

5 hours ago, Newleno said:

We were in Halong Bay in March 2018....I’ve attached a link to the review I did of the whole cruise.   If you scroll through you will find a post dedicated to Halong Bay.  If you have any questions feel free to ask but maybe on the other thread bc technically we are “off topic” on this thread😁

Hopefully the link works...it’s a bit of a challenge on an iPad (for me)!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, julig22 said:

According to the Jan 30 roll call:

Due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, we are implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all passengers embarking from Chinese ports. Guests who register a body temperature screening of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board the ship and will be directed to seek local medical treatment. Guests who are unable to sail, will not receive a refund and will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider.

Thanks for sharing. This is kind of a dumb policy though, in my opinion. From my limited reading, it sounds like it could take days for symptoms to present themselves. So, someone could have a normal temperature reading at embarkation, but still have the infection.

3 hours ago, dougypk said:

Enjoy your cheap cruise.

someone mentioned to me that 1/3 ppl infected develop ARDS, which has a high mortality. 

A more logical approach would be to require documentation proving where a person has been in the last two weeks.  If a person is denied boarding because they have been in a quarantined area, they get their money back.  If a person refuses to provide proof, they are denied boarding and no refund.

Fairly easy to determine from travel tickets combined with home address.  Might miss a few who find a way around the system but probably a more accurate assessment, since I'm assuming people might be able to spread the virus before they have symptoms.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, julig22 said:

Guests who are unable to sail, will not receive a refund and will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider.

Also, not sure how NCL can unilaterally cancel guests vacation and not be required to refund the cruise fare. I briefly reviewed the passenger contract and it does mention they can refuse passage to anyone. It also says the passenger is entitled to no compensation, but I wouldn't consider the refund of a original cruise fare to be compensation. 

Why wouldn't they offer them a future cruise credit instead of "sticking it" to the passenger in this unfortunate situation?

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1