New to NCL...reservation question

kelship

Cruising on the Breakaway in April, group of 4 in 2 rooms. 

I've never cruised on NCL...none of us have. I've made the reservations for our specialty dining, do we also need reservations for say, the comedian?

How/when do we do that? I dont see much available on the app at this point. 

Can we just walk to the venue around 645 for the 7 o'clock show?  I'd love to not have to reserve much, especially since their tagline is "Freestyle cruise". 

What else should I be looking into reserving? Any advice on what not to miss?

Thankya!

Edited by kelship

4 hours ago, kelship said:

do we also need reservations for say, the comedian?

Highly recommended if you want to see the show.

How/when do we do that?

Embarkation day, I believe that's done in The Social.  It is on the Bliss, which is a newer generation of that class of ship.

Can we just walk to the venue around 645 for the 7 o'clock show?

You can try getting in the standby line, but you might want to be there earlier than that.

I'd love to not have to reserve much, especially since their tagline is "Freestyle cruise"

They can't have 4,000-seat venues for everything.  That's really the only way to ensure everyone can do whatever activity they want when it's scheduled to happen.  Ok, that might be a bit extreme, but imagine the crush of people, and the disappointment, when even half the ship tries to get to the comedy venue without a reservation system and only 200-300 people are allowed in.  The "freestyle cruising" is really referring more to dining in the main dining rooms where you can reserve if you want, but you're free to arrive any time you want if that's your preference.  Other lines have pre-set times for dining.

The section of the site advertising it says "no schedule to follow but your own".  If that were to be taken literally, you could ask a performer to get on stage at 2 AM because that's when YOU want to see their show.  That's just simply not the case.  There IS a schedule still and some things need some pre-planning.

the only things you should really think about prior reservations, are the specialty restaurants, and if there is a must see tour. actually the only specialty restaurants that seems to fill out quicker than the others is le bistro and teppanyaki. remember, however, there are a few 1000 other people on board so if it's someting you really want to see, ie; the comedian, its best to get there early. i think those shows have very limited seating

Alternate solution see if that comedian has more than one disappearing act ah er show !

Form a rabbit out of the hat back up plan for that 2nd showing.

If there is only to be ONE show well by golly you will have to conjure up some seating.

If in a Suite/Haven use whatever leverage the Concierge can provide in getting seats and times !