Pullman vs Sofa bed for 3 person cabin

ilovetotravel1977

Every time I search for an oceanview balcony for three people, I get the two twin beds and the sofa bed options.  How do I get the options with the pullman for the third bed?  I can't imagine that sofa bed is very comfortable (even for a 12 year old).  

Is there anyway to search for a particular cabin number on Carnival's website?

The sofa bed isn't like a traditional sofa bed that you think of at home. I am 6'2" and 275 and have slept on the pull down and sofabed. Both are just as comfortable as the actual bed. 

I think if the cabin as a sofa, it is used as bed 3. Most if not all ocean view and balconies (besides Fantasy class ships) have couches.

25 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

I can't imagine that sofa bed is very comfortable (even for a 12 year old).  

My husband is a very active 80 year old. Just slept on one for 8 nights. Ask for a mattress pad under the sheet. BTW we are booked on a 14 night. Same beds. We are fine with it.

56 minutes ago, leen50 said:

My husband is a very active 80 year old. Just slept on one for 8 nights. Ask for a mattress pad under the sheet. BTW we are booked on a 14 night. Same beds. We are fine with it.

mattress pad, as in the thin mattress protector, or more of an egg crate/memory foam pad?

1 hour ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Every time I search for an oceanview balcony for three people, I get the two twin beds and the sofa bed options.  How do I get the options with the pullman for the third bed?  I can't imagine that sofa bed is very comfortable (even for a 12 year old).  

You may have to look for an oceanview for four people to get an upper pullman and a sofa.

Whether Carnival will let you book one of them for three people will depend on a couple of factors such as how close you are to final payment date and whether the ship is at or near capacity.

Edited by bury me at sea

8 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

So, would those cabins with the pullman ALSO have a seating area?  Because there is another room category that has both the sofa bed and the pullman. 

I can't answer that question.  There are cabins designated as oceanview, deluxe ocean view, scenic oceanview and on some ships I think I have seen grand scenic ocean view (rare.)

You might benefit from talking to a TA or a Carnival pvp.

My friends hated the sofa bed. The newer ship sounds like they will be using an actual mattress in the new design tho. But the older sofa beds are hard. They had nothing for us to use other than blankets, and even adding extra blankets don't help.

Edited by Ellusionz

20 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

I had 2 twins and an upper pullman for 3 people in an oceanview (no balcony) on the Ecstasy.  The twin beds were in an "L" shape - one was against the wall that the window is on, the other was where a sofa would be.  The pullman came down on top of the 2nd bed.  You get a lot more floor space in the smaller cabins that way, and Ecstasy (fantasy-class) doesn't have the larger OV cabins that the newer ships do.  That being said, in studying different deck plans that show the types of beds, I have concluded that only smaller (185 sq ft) OV or interior cabins will allow for that setup.  The larger oceanview and higher, which are 220 sq ft (except standard balcony rooms), will have the sofa bed as a 3rd bed.  So essentially you have the same amount of floor space in a 220 sq ft cabin with 2 twins/king and sofa bed as you do in a 185 sq ft cabin with 2 twins and upper pullman.

Without a sofa bed, there is no seating area.  There is a small chair/bench if you need to sit to tie shoes or something, but typically you aren't in the cabin long enough to be chilling and entertaining where you need a seating area.  

Where there is a pullman, there is a sofa bed. The pullmans are designed for the 4th person. However there is not always a pullman AND a sofa bed. These are limited on any ship. Your PA will tell you which rooms have the pullman. This is what Carnival told me. I assume if you have a room with both, you can just utilze the pullman.

The sofabeds are quite comfy. I didnt find them small at all.

39 minutes ago, Luv2Cruze4 said:

Where there is a pullman, there is a sofa bed.

Not true - see my reply above.  We had 2 twin beds and a pullman on the Ecstasy, no couch, and I THINK, but not positive, all fantasy-class ships are like that when there are 3 people in a cabin.  The ship's deck plans have symbols that tell you what type of beds are in each cabin.

48 minutes ago, dlphn501 said:

Not true - see my reply above.  We had 2 twin beds and a pullman on the Ecstasy, no couch, and I THINK, but not positive, all fantasy-class ships are like that when there are 3 people in a cabin.  The ship's deck plans have symbols that tell you what type of beds are in each cabin.

That is because only suites on the fantasy have couches.... 

Ack! Sorry...looking at the Breeze.  Another thought. 

Could I book a fourth person just to get my desired room, but then cancel them before final payment?

Would I just lose my deposit for that person?

Would they then reprice the room at three people vs four?

When I search for four people, the cabin I want is available to select.

7 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Could I book a fourth person just to get my desired room, but then cancel them before final payment?

Ah, sneaky! That might work! But is it worth it to lose the deposit? That could be a few hundred dollars or more.