upgrade if price drop after final payment???

healthworker

50 minutes ago, healthworker said:

hope someone has the answer to this!  booked cruise three days ago..after final payment. Noticed a price drop today of approx. 150 pp.  I know I don't get any refund,but am I able to get an upgrade if available? Booked a balcony guarantee.thanks!

Call your TA. I have gotten a price drop ( money refunded) after final payment. Also have gotten an upgrade but was not happy about it from aft facing corner balcony to obstructed view mi ni suite did not find out cabin until boarding. 

Edited by dog

you are very lucky. I emailed my travel agent and she said "once full payment is made, they will not refund or give any obc".

Very aggravated,because could have done a courtesy hold for a couple of days.  who knew??? Also, it seems even if I upgrade to the highest balcony category,would still be 20 dollars less than what I paid.  I know with many cruise lines has to be more than what I paid to get upgrade,even if only one dollar. Is this so with princess as well??

1 minute ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Sorry to hear that you had no luck. We have gotten several refunds or sometimes OBC after final payment. Sounds like you could use a new TA.

Yes, several times my TA has come through for me   If you are ever booking direct with Princess it is worth calling back and asking again. Different agent, different answers

1 hour ago, healthworker said:

you are very lucky. I emailed my travel agent and she said "once full payment is made, they will not refund or give any obc".

Very aggravated,because could have done a courtesy hold for a couple of days.  who knew??? Also, it seems even if I upgrade to the highest balcony category,would still be 20 dollars less than what I paid.  I know with many cruise lines has to be more than what I paid to get upgrade,even if only one dollar. Is this so with princess as well??

It’s your travel agent (or agency) telling you no, not Princess. It’s a hassle for agents to have to give back part of their commission when refaring after final payment so many issue the blanket “no” answer. But many of us do it for our clients because we want to get the best deal for them.

I’ve never had a problem refaring a client after final payment. It usually is refunded to the credit card with 10-15 business days. Princess usually tells me it can’t be done if the specific category is sold out or if the new fare is for new bookings only. 

Edited by idahospud
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, dog said:

Call your TA. I have gotten a price drop ( money refunded) after final payment. Also have gotten an upgrade but was not happy about it from aft facing corner balcony to obstructed view mi ni suite did not find out cabin until boarding. 

Oh no!!!!!!!! We have had the corner aft twice and will miss it this next go round. I would have cried. I did make sure to call and say no upgrades/room changes on our booking. I was scared this may happen. 

5 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

We also have received a price reduction and credit card refund of the difference after final payment by going directly through Princess.

This is correct.  Made final payment a while back and just did it.  I was able to buy back the options that were no longer available with reductions and still got money back.  Win-win situation and I also booked directly with Princess.

Edited by Ereggae

31 minutes ago, healthworker said:

wow, you have all been so lucky! Two of the travel agents called for me and got nowhere.  Price dropped two days after booking ! They said because I booked some "flash sale",no upgrades,obc,or refunds were possible.

Yes, flash deals are oftentimes very restrictive.  Plus, it sounds like your agency doesn't want to give up a portion of their commission so may not be your best advocate.  

However, this is what I've done in the past ... 

Asked for an upgrade.  Most of the time, they are happy enough to do this.  

Ask how much it is to cancel and rebook under the new fare?  Sometimes, you may still come out ahead.  Since they don't want to have to go through all that work, they may just give you what you want.  

Have your travel agent armed with what you are willing to take / do before they call Princess.  

Don't beat yourself up about not taking the courtesy hold.  The pricing could have just as likely gone up and the courtesy hold is on a cabin, not a fare.