Why does HAL's web site Check In continue to frustrate me?

Jersey42

When HAL revamped their web site a while back I found a lot of things frustrating. Some things were confusing, some did not work and other tasks just seemed to be more complicated than necessary.  Over time, HAL has made some minor improvements and I guess I have gotten used to some of the quirks.  The one thing that continues to frustrate me is accessing the Check In screen for an already booked cruise.  Even when I am logged in, it seems like most links to the Check In page get me to an unformatted page that is useless.  Refreshing the page does not help.  If I try to reach it in other ways, it usually does the same thing and eventually I can get to a valid screen 😀.  Now I can proceed, but even though I am logged in and it usually knows the booking number, it still wants me to enter first name, last name and answer a security question. By the way, as long as I am logged in, the answers to the security questions are readily viewable in my account, so they provide no security at all.   Am I doing something wrong, or do others have the same problem?  I doubt it is my web browser (Chrome on Windows 10) because it sometimes/eventually works.

Here is a screen shot of the problem page.  The second screen shot shows it properly formatted and working:

1176925153_HALCheckIn.JPG.8e812a085de716d1cac4a606d38423fd.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

820679710_HALCheckIngood.JPG.d04d28e08c908aed78628a143a7c5d9f.JPG

Couldn’t agree more - have already put information in to log in - so why again?   I have to search on my phone or iPad for booking number and it should not be necessary or should be on a drop down to choose which cruise you have booked and are nw checking in!!

I always leave my frustration on the feedback button! It is better,  but there are still many improvements they need to make. 

Try this:

1) Open the HAL website.

2) Right click in some white space somewhere on the screen, then choose "Inspect" or press Ctrl + Shift + I

3) This will open the Web Inspector.  You want to find the top menu items, they start with Console, Sources, Network, Elements, etc.  Look for the one called "Application" and select it.

4) Under "Application" you should see "Clear Storage" - click that

5) You should then see an option to "Clear site data" - click that

This is much different than simply clearing cookies/cache within a browser.

I've attached an image showing you where all the options are.

Good luck.

Annotation 2020-01-29 074439.png

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DivotMaker said:

Try this:

1) Open the HAL website.

2) Right click in some white space somewhere on the screen, then choose "Inspect" or press Ctrl + Shift + I

3) This will open the Web Inspector.  You want to find the top menu items, they start with Console, Sources, Network, Elements, etc.  Look for the one called "Application" and select it.

4) Under "Application" you should see "Clear Storage" - click that

5) You should then see an option to "Clear site data" - click that

This is much different than simply clearing cookies/cache within a browser. 

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.  It did not appear to do anything at first, but I tried several things and I found out the following.  I am not sure if this would have worked the same had I not "Cleared Site Data".  At least I think I have found a way to consistently bypass the useless unformated "Check In" page.

1. If I am logged in (or not logged in) and attempt to access the Check In page from the HAL home page via "ALREADY BOOKED" | "Check In", I consistently get the bad page☹️
  2. If I log in and attempt to access the Check In page by clicking on my name at the top of the page, then "My Account" | "My Bookings" then click on my booking number, then click on "Check In", I get the good page. 😀

I also noticed that once I get the good "Check In" page, as long as I remain logged in (and HAL has not timed me out), I continue to get the good page, no matter what link I try (even the one that consistently fails in #1 above. I don't why I would want to do this, but if anyone from HAL ever sees this post, it might help them diagnose the problem. 

Screen shot for #1

953982720_HAL1.jpg.cb5cb82703aa5a5041a64662f9a93052.jpg

Screen Shot for #2

1674539592_HAL2.jpg.7f2c57b7babcfbba1ad5cf9f13bd635d.jpg

Edited by Jersey42

28 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Thanks for the advice.  It did not appear to do anything at first, but I tried several things and I found out the following.  I am not sure if this would have worked the same had I not "Cleared Site Data".  At least I think I have found a way to consistently bypass the useless unformated "Check In" page.

1. If I am logged in (or not logged in) and attempt to access the Check In page from the HAL home page via "ALREADY BOOKED" | "Check In", I consistently get the bad page☹️
  2. If I log in and attempt to access the Check In page by clicking on my name at the top of the page, then "My Account" | "My Bookings" then click on my booking number, then click on "Check In", I get the good page. 😀

I also noticed that once I get the good "Check In" page, as long as I remain logged in (and HAL has not timed me out), I continue to get the good page, no matter what link I try (even the one that consistently fails in #1 above. I don't why I would want to do this, but if anyone from HAL ever sees this post, it might help them diagnose the problem. 

Yeah, I'm a website developer and agree, there's definitely something odd about their site.  My suspicion is it has something to do with what's called a "session" which essentially remembers all your details once you've logged in.  That "session" is supposed to remember you from page to page, but when it stops remembering you, that's when things go crazy.  You will either get logged out completely, or be at a page that expects you to be logged in and since you're not, it will not be able present the page correctly.

• Like 1

The website redesign was done badly. There's too much "dynamic" content, resulting in bandwith usage issues (it would be great IF you were hooked RIGHT into the server, which of course the developers were), and you're exactly right, there's no good single sign on/identity management - which is why every time you go to a different function set (reservations/payments/looking for a cruise) you have to log in again. Bad, thoughtless design.

I'm a IT professional so I'm picky I suppose.

However, due to the bad UX and poor architecture, the PHONE is now overloaded. If anyone knows a secret phone number, please share, I've been literally calling for days (I dial in and put it on speaker for a few hours, then they drop the call and I start again).  

I agree with all of the posts.  The website is one of the worst I have seen for a cruise line.  I was told that the China Virus issue is having a HUGE impact on their call volume so that is probably why you are having issues.

I am equally frustrated with trying to  book airfare thru their site.  Very unfriendly....we are unable to book people together from several rooms in our group.  You have to book one room at a time and then hope the flight is available (it hasn't been) or the price hasn't gone up (it has) within minutes.  Anyone else?

Kathy

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

My bookings are on a drop-down.

Hi Miss G! Same here I have a drop down on our cruises. On the 26th I was able to do our boarding passes and I went to the HAL site. With OP’s screen shot I got the same thing which was new, but all they want Is for you to put in booking number name etc. now the security question was for us choose a question ours 1what port are you leaving from 2 what port is your debarkation etc. no big deal give an answer and than it takes you to your check in. Go to docs upper right side press and print!

Denise😊

• Like 1

I don't think they pay much attention to updating the site.  I checked in again this morning to get my boarding pass.  Not that I need it again, but it has the itinerary for the cruise on one of the pages.  It still shows me boarding in Hong Kong on 1 February and disembarking in Shanghai on 15 February and the itinerary has not been updated.  Useless.

1 hour ago, jimmy2x said:

Strangely enough, when I printed out the docs for our upcoming Koningsdam cruise, had absolutely  no problem using Safari. Last year required 3 calls and a linked email from HAL. Go figure 🧐

Although I could enter all the info using  my Safari browser  ,instead of my  Google Chrome browser ,it would not take nay credit card information  .one CC expored in 08/23  & another credit card expired  12 /23  /Their web site rejected both credit cards saying some thing about the credit card must be good through out the cruise dates ;but both cruises are in 2020 

I am so darn frustrated with Holland America  auto cancelling my phone calls 3 times  that I turned this over to my Travel Agency .  If they can't get this stuff resolved with HAL ,we will simply cancel the cruise 'as it is a Dec 2020 cruise . Really irks us that HAL is so unresponsive to their customers .When i was in business that  was  called a crippling  blow  to sales & profits  .But ,does Orlando care ???

11 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

What's the answer, IT experts? I agree it's goofed up, but I am NOT the one to explain this to HAL.

Yes the web site needs  IT experts  ;but , are they willing to pay to fix it ?  

When a business has these kind of problems 7 then magnify  the damages by  cutting off attempts to reach a representative by phone  ,that to me  is  killing the goose that laid that golden egg . If my TA comes back to me with a trivial reply from HAL , my reply will be cancel the booking  .

For what its worth, I see many of the same issues on both X and Princess. With all the hacks that go on, today I contacted HAL today to acquire a PCC. Spoke with Jason. May be the “Start of a beautiful relationship “🤗

51 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

What's the answer, IT experts? I agree it's goofed up, but I am NOT the one to explain this to HAL.

Based on what everyone is saying, I’m still thinking the primary issue has to do with it not keeping your login information because some web developer is missing some code that passes along your active session to another part of the site.  I’m new to HAL and their website but it appears as if the part you see and the backend where all the exchanging of your login information takes place has a disconnect.   The reason for this is that on many website updates that I oversee, programmers focus too much on the part you see but often neglect what’s behind the scenes (which is what I specialize in).   I am writing an email right now that I’ll be submitting to HAL’s web team in the hopes that someone will see it and agree with my findings.  

OP here. HAL's inability to keep my login information was really just a minor pet peeve for me.  I can easily deal with it, but they should be able to do better.  The real issue for me was getting the following useless unformatted page.  I was eventually able to figure out a way to get to the good screen, but I bet lots of others would just give up and then have to tie up a phone rep.  By the way, I do not get the "bad page" using Chrome on my Android phone or using Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. I still consistently get it using Chrome on Windows 10 unless I use the workaround I mentioned in post #4.

1176925153_HALCheckIn.JPG.8e812a085de716d1cac4a606d38423fd.JPG

The phone number under Help for the website now takes me to a Press Company---NOT HAL. And the chat feature does not work at all for me, even in an open browser with no security engaged. My personal cruise consultant does not answer her phone and she does not reply to emails. So frustrated trying to book today.