Ocean Cay Question

Sthrncrusr

15 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Which sunscreens do they consider reef-safe?

Absolutely Natural.

Absolutely-natural.com

There's others also, quick Google search shows them.. while it's not checked on the island, we all should be using reef safe subscreen anyways, doing our part to help out, even a little, to keep reefs/oceans healthier.  

On 1/30/2020 at 11:00 AM, MJC said:

Water bottle.

Non plastic water bottle.  That is what is MSC says is allowed.  I didnt see plastic water bottles being confiscated but if you want to be sure, take metal.  Or they will sell you a metal one on the island for about $20.

2 hours ago, aprilF said:

Non plastic water bottle.  That is what is MSC says is allowed.  I didnt see plastic water bottles being confiscated but if you want to be sure, take metal.  Or they will sell you a metal one on the island for about $20.

In the YC restaurant the bottles are free and you can take them with you. They have stainless steel exteriors with a special plastic coating inside (somewhat heavy even empty). They are specifically designed, and intended, to be refilled and reused indefinitely. Naturally, MSC only sells new bottles, but we took ours home so I could check into them. 

Below is a link to the company that sells the bottles (prefilled with purified water). We first bought one case of 25 oz bottles to use as needed (every day in my case). We have now decided to buy additional cases from time-to-time to eventually become our stock of backup water for hurricane season.

Excellent product. I recommend that you look at them and see if you could use them.

https://drinkpathwater.com/

• Like 1

I did mean to recommend your own refillable water bottle, not a single-use plastic bottle. Also Boca clips to attach your towel to the lounge chair. I find them very handy, especially if it's windy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sptrout said:

In the YC restaurant the bottles are free and you can take them with you. They have stainless steel exteriors with a special plastic coating inside (somewhat heavy even empty). They are specifically designed, and intended, to be refilled and reused indefinitely. Naturally, MSC only sells new bottles, but we took ours home so I could check into them. 

Below is a link to the company that sells the bottles (prefilled with purified water). We first bought one case of 25 oz bottles to use as needed (every day in my case). We have now decided to buy additional cases from time-to-time to eventually become our stock of backup water for hurricane season.

Excellent product. I recommend that you look at them and see if you could use them.

https://drinkpathwater.com/

I did see those on the island when we were there.  No YC on our sailing so I guess just for sale in the shops.  I figured those were the bottles they were selling for $20, I didnt realize they came with water in them already.

A little pricey for us to use as hurricane backup water.  We tend to just keep gallon jugs of RO water and then a Costo pack or two of singles around.  Unfortunately the Brunswick County NC area is undergoing a water crisis, our drinking supply is some of the most contaminated in the country so I am all too familiar with schlepping gallon RO jugs to be refilled.  😞

3 hours ago, MJC said:

I did mean to recommend your own refillable water bottle, not a single-use plastic bottle.

I only mentioned because we had both metal (Manna and Tervis, we really like both) and plastic water bottles with us to take ashore so we could go longer between seeking out refills.  And then we had to leave our plastic bottles in the room per the note.  But no worries for those that havent yet been, there are plenty of refill opportunities.  We were just among the first to get there so we didnt know what we were walking into.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, CruisinCrow said:

Which sunscreens do they consider reef-safe?

Stream2Sea Sunscreen , an ecoconscious product line including sunscreen, created to be safe for people and the environment, has earned the Protect Land & Sea Certification (PL+S), guaranteeing it does not contain any ingredients known to be harmful to coral, fish, turtles and sea life.

Partner MSC Cruises.

Any chemical sunscreen is bad for ocean life....hmmmmm wake up people...it’s bad for you all too.  It’s a chemical you rub into the skin which is out largest organ.  Ever wonder why there is so much cancer? Read what those ingredients do...they produce free radicals when exposed to sunlight....cancer!! They are all toxic. Read that the younger you were using the chemical sunscreens the higher number of skin cancers. Actually read that people using nothing have a lower rate.   Use only mineral sunscreens.. non toxic for humans and for the ocean!

We took our refillable water bottles without any problems.  There were enough lounge chairs on all beaches and umbrellas too. I wanted to snorkel so we went to the beach near the wedding chapel but the water was too rough.  Even the ship cancelled their snorkel excursion.  We did lounge on that beach and it was beautiful with soft sand, turquoise water and no noise.  We watched the light show at the light house from the ship.  Great day all around.