Cruise Deposits going up

Kirchoff91

10 minutes ago, Kirchoff91 said:

NCL Deposits are going up Feb 4th, 2020. They will be $125 pp instead of $50 pp.

Thanks for the info. Another money making opportunity for NCL. They can make money on the interest earned on other people's money. Another reason to book last minute. The credit card bill comes after the cruise.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, julig22 said:

$50 deposits are when they are running that as a promo - not their normal deposit which I believe is $250 for 7 days or more.  https://www.ncl.com/about/payment-schedule

You are correct. What really sucks is that final payment dates have moved up.

Our 10/2020 cruise final payments in June. 3 months and 1 week before departure.

18 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

You are correct. What really sucks is that final payment dates have moved up.

Our 10/2020 cruise final payments in June. 3 months and 1 week before departure.

Now that's annoying.

But, I don't see how changing a deposit really matters since you can cancel before final payment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, April42749 said:

Now that's annoying.

But, I don't see how changing a deposit really matters since you can cancel before final payment.

I have no problem with the deposit amount just the final payment date.

The cancel time period is also shortened

I think final payment was more like 6 or 8 weeks before sail date in the past.  .

4 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

I think final payment was more like 6 or 8 weeks before sail date in the past.  .

I was agreeing...I may not have been clear.

Deposit is not important...the time to "change your mind" is.

19 minutes ago, April42749 said:

I don't see how changing a deposit really matters since you can cancel before final payment.

It makes little difference to you guys in the US but a massive difference to us in Europe as we lose our deposit if we cancel.

I recently repriced my Alaska cruise as the cost had gone down a lot, I lost the £100 (£50 x2) deposit and it was still very worthwhile, I won't be booking early if I stand to lose £250 (2x£1.25), if this is true I will take my chances with last minute from now on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

Full refund is 120 days  https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Are you booked directly with NCL?  I go through a TA and they always ask for final payment about 10 days prior to the NCL deadline.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Final payment due date used to be 90 days (3 months) before sailing. In the spring of 2018, they changed it to 120 day’s before sailing (4 months). 

On 1/30/2020 at 4:35 PM, blcruising said:

Thanks for the info. Another money making opportunity for NCL. They can make money on the interest earned on other people's money. Another reason to book last minute. The credit card bill comes after the cruise.

Amazing that posters make so many unsubstantiated assertions.

The current discounted deposit promotion is ending. Plain and simple. Not a "money making opportunity". If you don't want to pay the deposit, then wait until the week before cruise and accept pot luck in terms of fares, rooms left over, and promotions. Most people like to lock things in and know what they are getting. No one wants to get stuck with last minute airfare or a plane ticket they can't use because cruise is no longer available at an acceptable price. 

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Amazing that posters make so many unsubstantiated assertions.

The current discounted deposit promotion is ending. Plain and simple. Not a "money making opportunity". If you don't want to pay the deposit, then wait until the week before cruise and accept pot luck in terms of fares, rooms left over, and promotions. Most people like to lock things in and know what they are getting. No one wants to get stuck with last minute airfare or a plane ticket they can't use because cruise is no longer available at an acceptable price. 

I know, right? It's even more amazing when posters answer an unsubstantiated assertion with five new ones!!

Edited by blcruising