Bar Harbor excursions

thomastoo

We went on a sail on a schooner.  8 to 12 of us. It was the captains last sail of season and the wind was up.  He saw we were all game so we went on a thrilling sail.  It was great fun.  Also, good view of the mansions on the shoreline.  Since we had strong winds we covered a lot of ground. 

Some years ago we took the tour into the ?Acadia? National Park - the colours were breathtaking and we had a wonderful day (but had the schooner been on offer, I'd have been on board!!)

6 hours ago, rcandkc said:

We went on a sail on a schooner.  8 to 12 of us. It was the captains last sail of season and the wind was up.  He saw we were all game so we went on a thrilling sail.  It was great fun.  Also, good view of the mansions on the shoreline.  Since we had strong winds we covered a lot of ground. 

I made a mistake...it was Newport.  

5 hours ago, Gilly said:

Some years ago we took the tour into the ?Acadia? National Park - the colours were breathtaking and we had a wonderful day (but had the schooner been on offer, I'd have been on board!!)

Oh my, that is the MOST BEAUTIFUL tour there.  The park.  I think you were lucky.  We go there on that cruise all the time and have done them all.

@Caroldoll we are huge fans of the US National Parks and were fairly sure that this would be our only opportunity to see this particular corner of your vast country.  In my experience, these places seldom - if ever - disappoint and given the time of year, it was a no-brainer for us.

• Like 1

When we were in Bar Harbor on the Regent cruise from NYC to Iceland in June, we took a walking tour where we stopped for six different local delicacies.  It was a terrific tour.  However, if you are going in October I don't know how many of the shops will still be open.  Bar Harbor is beautiful no matter what time of year.  In October, you will get the fall foliage.

4 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

When we were in Bar Harbor on the Regent cruise from NYC to Iceland in June, we took a walking tour where we stopped for six different local delicacies.  It was a terrific tour.  However, if you are going in October I don't know how many of the shops will still be open.  Bar Harbor is beautiful no matter what time of year.  In October, you will get the fall foliage.

I did that one, also in June, and it was wonderful. I'd think the shops would still be open in October for the leaf peepers, but don't know for sure. But if this is a first trip to Bar Harbor, I think Acadia is a must-do. That being said, I was also there on a cruise in October, and the weather was cold, snowy and foggy in the park so we didn't get to see much of anything. Fortunately, I'd been before on a land trip. But still, it's worth the risk to at least try the park.