NCL-provided air flights: CATCH-22

JDBRANDT17042

I'm hoping for some C.C. assistance, from those more tuned in to NCL.

I received our NCL Air Flight Confirmation, and our outbound flight (to arrive at the port the day-earlier) leaves at 5:00AM, which we'd like to change to a later time.

So, I called the NCL Air office, at the 866-625-11** number.  They told me "the ticket has been issued, there's nothing we (NCL) can do."

So, I called the airline (which I just happen to have status with), and the airline told me that the ticket was purchased by NCL, and any changes need to come from NCL.  I escalated the call to the airline's Corporate Department, and was told that NCL would need to issue the change.

I'm a frequent business traveler, so airline actions that seem bizarre to others, don't surprise me.  But, in this case, I'm at a loss.

Does anybody have anything else that they would try?

Get to the airport by 4:00. 

NCL is going to chose an economical flight (e.g., 5 am). You even paid the upcharge to go a day early. Stick with the flight. NCL isn’t going to incur any costs on you behalf (change fee, more expensive fare so you can sleep in). 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

I'm hoping for some C.C. assistance, from those more tuned in to NCL.

I received our NCL Air Flight Confirmation, and our outbound flight (to arrive at the port the day-earlier) leaves at 5:00AM, which we'd like to change to a later time.

So, I called the NCL Air office, at the 866-625-11** number.  They told me "the ticket has been issued, there's nothing we (NCL) can do."

So, I called the airline (which I just happen to have status with), and the airline told me that the ticket was purchased by NCL, and any changes need to come from NCL.  I escalated the call to the airline's Corporate Department, and was told that NCL would need to issue the change.

I'm a frequent business traveler, so airline actions that seem bizarre to others, don't surprise me.  But, in this case, I'm at a loss.

Does anybody have anything else that they would try?

NCL has to reissue the ticket- IF the ticket was issued within 24 hours, there should be no penalty however if it was issued more than 24 hours prior, I would explain you would like to change the ticket to a later flight and find out what the fees would be. Once you know how much it costs you can decide if it is worth it to you to change. Good luck.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, emm126 said:

NCL has to reissue the ticket- IF the ticket was issued within 24 hours, there should be no penalty however if it was issued more than 24 hours prior, I would explain you would like to change the ticket to a later flight and find out what the fees would be. Once you know how much it costs you can decide if it is worth it to you to change. Good luck.

OK, I will agree that NCL is in control of the ticket.  This is the coding on the ticket that the airline agent read to me.

Now, in my case, my email about the ticket was received 19 hours ago.  So, based on your above comment, I rang up NCL one last time, and explained that '...somebody I know who cruises with NCL a lot...' told me that changes can be made inside the 24-hour window after issuance.

Based on his response, I'll say that, maybe NCL can reissue the ticket, but, in this case, '...because it was a promotional ticket...', the NCL rep told me that, once the ticket is issued, that's it.  No changes.  The 24-hour period doesn't matter. No IFs, No BUTs, No Coconuts.

--------------------

As I said in another thread, I have a BackUp plan.  According to the airline I have been booked with, if I wait until 24 hours BEFORE an alternative flight, I can call the airlines, and request a Same Day Change - THAT they will do, because the 'restricted' ticket, apparently becomes less restricted within 24 hours of a change.  This was news to me - but, then again, I don't buy plane tickets through agents.  Not much of a backup plan, but, a possibility

It explicitly states in the T&Cs that you cannot pick flight times and are subject to the flights NCL picks. Congratulations - you got exactly what you signed up for!

Though I'd suggest before 4am if you're checking bags. Hard cut off 45 minutes before if it's a domestic flight. 

18 minutes ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

OK, I will agree that NCL is in control of the ticket.  This is the coding on the ticket that the airline agent read to me.

Now, in my case, my email about the ticket was received 19 hours ago.  So, based on your above comment, I rang up NCL one last time, and explained that '...somebody I know who cruises with NCL a lot...' told me that changes can be made inside the 24-hour window after issuance.

Based on his response, I'll say that, maybe NCL can reissue the ticket, but, in this case, '...because it was a promotional ticket...', the NCL rep told me that, once the ticket is issued, that's it.  No changes.  The 24-hour period doesn't matter. No IFs, No BUTs, No Coconuts.

--------------------

As I said in another thread, I have a BackUp plan.  According to the airline I have been booked with, if I wait until 24 hours BEFORE an alternative flight, I can call the airlines, and request a Same Day Change - THAT they will do, because the 'restricted' ticket, apparently becomes less restricted within 24 hours of a change.  This was news to me - but, then again, I don't buy plane tickets through agents.  Not much of a backup plan, but, a possibility

the 24 hour rule is standard airline policy, not sure about the answer they gave you but since NCL issued the ticket, they do have final say. Good luck!

24 minutes ago, emm126 said:

the 24 hour rule is standard airline policy, not sure about the answer they gave you but since NCL issued the ticket, they do have final say. Good luck!

Even if NCL bought tickets that could be changed between the change fees and walkup rates you'd have to pay it'd likely be a pretty penny to change - if they let you. 

I tried to change a flight in November, but a RETURN flight and I tried to change on disembarkation day.  NCL booked us on a red-eye from LA to PHI to then change planes to our home airport.  That left us with 12 hours to kill in the LA area unless we could get the earlier flight.  I called before getting off the ship and was told we MIGHT be able to change at the ticket when we got to the airport, for a $75 fee.  Got there, they said it was going to be MUCH more because of the way it was booked (through NCL) so they actually accepted our checked luggage at 10 AM for an 11:30 PM flight and we went to rent a car and tour the area.

In our case, we feared that schedule but we also anticipated it would happen.  Oh yeah, our flight out to LA was of similar dislike - 6 AM from the home airport and arrived in LA at 11 AM but the day before.

Bottom line, as someone else said, you got what you signed up for - flights booked by NCL that you either didn't pay anything for or paid very little for.

The question of changing flights used to come up on this forum A LOT.

People seem to think tickets are all the same.  Absolutely not. NCL buys the cheapest highly restrictive fares.   You agreed to allow them completely control what you get.   It’s clearly stated-NO changes.   Most flights go well. But the problems are escalated with these tickets.  They are the last accommodated and many times no Interline benefits.   Go to the Cruise Critic Cruise Air board.  A very informative sticky about Cruise line perk air.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Even if NCL bought tickets that could be changed between the change fees and walkup rates you'd have to pay it'd likely be a pretty penny to change - if they let you. 

oh I agree with that. my original comment was see what the fees would be and if it is worth it to you to change. There most likely will be a change fee and the ticket would have to be repriced since the change is to the outbound flight. 

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

People seem to think tickets are all the same.  Absolutely not. NCL buys the cheapest highly restrictive fares.   You agreed to allow them completely control what you get.   It’s clearly stated-NO changes.   Most flights go well. But the problems are escalated with these tickets.  They are the last accommodated and many times no Interline benefits.   Go to the Cruise Critic Cruise Air board.  A very informative sticky about Cruise line perk air.  

Exactly. They don't realize that there are other fares than the ones you can pick going to the airline's website. NCL is not paying the same rate Joe Schmoe is. 

It's similar to those websites that can get you really cheap airfare. It's through fare codes not available to the public and are often highly restrictive. If everything goes smoothly you don't realize it, but if there's a hiccup the restrictions can come back to bite you in the butt. 

They gave us a red eye home on Alaska airlines from LA. saver fare.  So you can't pick seats until you check in.    I just went online to AA and used a web special with miles to get home.  
We leave to go to miami at 8 am on AA.  That's fine we'll do that.  So it was worth the $49 airfare I paid I guess.    We leave the morning of the cruise unless there is a storm on the east coast then, since I have status on that line anyway, I'll switch us to leave earlier. 

I would not do it again. 

I would never book NCL if there was any chance I would be unhappy with the flight times. Going this route was certain to give you the cheapest tickets and that always is at some of the worst hours ........super early or late. I can’t even imagine or even having the patience to call NCL to fight them for giving me exactly what I paid for and agreed to. 

Edited by tallnthensome

12 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

If you care about when your flights are, then having someone else book them (at the cheapest possible rates, no less) is not the best thing to do.   

this can be said when people book guarantee cruise fares and rolling the dice with the Upgrade Advantage Program......  read the T&Cs to make an informed decision and when you get what you paid for don't complain about it 

• Like 2

I am reading this thread just to be prepared as our next three cruises we either have reduced or free airfare. Not going to be upset no matter what happens as it is was my choice to do it. All three cruises we fly into New York from Detroit two days early so no concern about missing the ship. First one we do 21 nights on the Bliss and fly home  from Seattle $99 per person. Second fly home from New Orleans after 13 nights on the Breakaway spending  two nights after cruise free airfare.  Third cruise fly home from Rome after 18 nights on the Getaway and spending two nights post cruise for $299 per person. For me it is a low risk deal until I am proven wrong.

Edited by swmichigan cruiser
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

For me it is a low risk deal until I am proven wrong.

It’s a no risk deal as long as you don’t care about when your flights are, how inconvenient they may be, etc.  That’s fine for some folks and it sounds like you are okay with it too.  The issue is not folks like you, it’s people complaining when they get the crappy flights that they voluntarily put themselves in a position to get. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

If you care about when your flights are, then having someone else book them (at the cheapest possible rates, no less) is not the best thing to do.   

I live near a smaller airport. The limited flights are helpful to know what flights will be like if I book, or another party books. The flights I got were only an hour or two off from what I booked on my own last year. 

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s a no risk deal as long as you don’t care about when your flights are, how inconvenient they may be, etc.  

Exactly. On a recent flight that I booked myself, it was 17 hours nonstop. However, I could have gotten to my destination cheaper with options that last 29 to 38 hours. I did not want the layovers so I just spent a little more and the departure was at a reasonable time of the day.

Upcoming Sept. cruise Quebec to Boston will be our first time with an "included flight".

We paid for the extra pre &  post cruise days.

My concern is two fold. The flight says Vancouver to Montreal when the cruise leaves Quebec City. I was told not to worry it would be Vancouver to Quebec City. Then why does it say Montreal? That's a 3 hour drive between them.

Also we always get aisle & preferred seats as hubby has had knee surgery. Of course we pay extra, can we do that when NCL books the flight? 

54 minutes ago, eltigre said:

Upcoming Sept. cruise Quebec to Boston will be our first time with an "included flight".

We paid for the extra pre &  post cruise days.

My concern is two fold. The flight says Vancouver to Montreal when the cruise leaves Quebec City. I was told not to worry it would be Vancouver to Quebec City. Then why does it say Montreal? That's a 3 hour drive between them.

Also we always get aisle & preferred seats as hubby has had knee surgery. Of course we pay extra, can we do that when NCL books the flight? 

I'm remembering a previous thread about this and everyone pretty much flies into Montreal and then takes a train. Otherwise it's a layover somewhere. If the layover is in Canada it's in Montreal and the train is quicker than layover + flight. At least that's what I recall from a thread on it. 

There's no guarantee you'll be able to pay to select your seats. There are fares that don't let you do that and NCL could buy those. I've seen some post they can and some that they can't. 

This is exactly why we declined the free air when we booked our cruise.  We were told by our agent that we could end up on a red-eye.  We decided to just pay air out of pocket to get the flights we wanted.  

Our experience booking air through Princess was not terrific, either.  They booked us on a flight set to arrive mid-morning the day of the cruise.  Then, we get notification that our flight had been changed - to arrive after 2pm the day of the cruise - which left at 4pm.  Fortunately, they changed the flight yet again to arrive the day before.  However, this now meant that we had to get a hotel overnight & uber to dinner & back.  Now, they didn't have control over the airlines, but to try to put us on a flight arriving at the airport less than 2 hours prior to sailaway - that was ridiculous.

2 hours ago, eltigre said:

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

There's no guarantee you'll be able to pay to select your seats. There are fares that don't let you do that and NCL could buy those. I've seen some post they can and some that they can't. 

Our flights were through United and I was able to choose our seats. Something that is confusing, on the information that NCL sent to us about the flights, the confirmation number for the airline was labeled record locator. I wonder if people who couldn't change their seats didn't know that was the number to get into the reservation. I couldn't change anything else, just the seat assignments.