Uber Or Lyft from Hotel to Ship

DoggyDaddy

Which would be more convenient/cheaper/faster from a Hotel on 16th Street (Embassy Suite) to the Holland America dock, Uber, Lyft, or. Taxi?  Would the same apply from the Airport to the Hotel?  The hotel has a shuttle service, but I assume it is $$$ per person, but can consider it.  I have never used Uber or Lyft before but have an account for both.  What is normal for tipping, if any? If so, would it be in cash or via the app? I would feel funny giving a driver a $1 bill for an inexpensive ride.

Thanks in advance.

DD

First of all, we can only assume you are referring to Ft Lauderdale, as there is an Embassy Suites on 17th there. If you look on the Florida Departures board, you will see many discussions in this vein. Taxi airport-hotel will be just under $15, before tip, Uber a little over $10. Hotel to Port will depend on what Terminal and traffic. $10-20 for taxi, a little less for Uber. 

For Uber, you can tip in cash, or in the app. How much you tip depends on the service, as always. Up to 20% is fine.

Embassy Suites has a shuttle...the price has gone up recently, I think it is $12 per person for both transfers.

6 minutes ago, DoggyDaddy said:

Which would be more convenient/cheaper/faster from a Hotel on 16th Street (Embassy Suite) to the Holland America dock, Uber, Lyft, or. Taxi?  Would the same apply from the Airport to the Hotel?  The hotel has a shuttle service, but I assume it is $$$ per person, but can consider it.  I have never used Uber or Lyft before but have an account for both.  What is normal for tipping, if any? If so, would it be in cash or via the app? I would feel funny giving a driver a $1 bill for an inexpensive ride.

Thanks in advance.

DD

My experience at ES is that you often have to take the shuttle.  It has been hard to get a cab.  Not sure about Uber or Lyft of course.

For the nominal amount, it wasn’t worth the worry and I took the path of least resistance and the fastest service.

Shuttle was $8 pp last time we were there but that was a couple of years ago.

I use Uber. The shuttle means waiting for other people, waiting for luggage to be loaded. Waiting for the Uber takes less time. I can't remember how long, and I'm impatient so it couldn't have been very long! For two people, Uber is definitely less than the hotel shuttle.

7 hours ago, kazu said:

My experience at ES is that you often have to take the shuttle.  It has been hard to get a cab.  Not sure about Uber or Lyft of course.

For the nominal amount, it wasn’t worth the worry and I took the path of least resistance and the fastest service.

Shuttle was $8 pp last time we were there but that was a couple of years ago.

We routinely stay at the Embassy Suites and always use Uber/Lyft to get to the port.  I do not think we have ever waited more then 10 minutes for our ride.  The cost varies but is generally less than ten dollars. 

Hank

Can’t answer for Embassy Suites,. But We had trouble with LYFT connections when we were in Fort Laudedale. The app said finding drivers and just spun until it timed out. Both from the airport and from the ship. Others around us were having similar problems. When we finally connected, The driver from the airport that LYFT found was 11 min away and never moved from their  spot, after 15 min we cancelled the request and ordered another, waited 9 min. From the port we finally got connected to a ride  waited several minutes then watched as he passed the entry to the pickup area, then through no action on our part we were notified a new ride was coming, new driver had no,idea what happened and said the app led him right to us, luckily we were not in a hurry either time, it was quite frustrating. A couple of positives,  we were expecting to have to fight a cancellation charge for the ride we cancelled, but we did not ever get one, I assume either they could see we cancelled after quoted  pick up time or that the driver never moved and we have used LYFT in many other locations nationwide and never experienced anything similar. Just a heads up. 

Edited by imescaping
Adde content to clarify

I’ve used Uber in Ft. Lauderdale from a hotel to pier instead of signing up to wait around for a crowded free shuttle that sometimes stops at multiple pick-up points, and occasionally drop-offs at more than one ship.

Very fast Uber response, good vehicle, 100% satisfaction.

We have stayed at the ES in Fort Lauderdale several times.  The first time we took the paid shuttle offered by ES.  We had to wait around for the shuttle to fill up. At that time the cost was $10 per person.   We were in the last row in a hot crowded van.  Once we arrived at the port, we had to wait for all the luggage to be unloaded.  

After that experience we started to use Lyft.  We had a ten minute wait for a clean, cool car.  No problems with luggage.  Last year the cost was about  $12 plus a $3 tip.  

We used Uber to the port.  There were 10 of us, so there were three calling Uber.  All got picked up within minutes and the cost was a bargain.

On the other hand, you can run into lots of delays afterward getting from the dock to anywhere.  There were six ships that arrived the morning we got back. Not only did we wait more than an hour in the heat for the Budget shuttle (others waited just as long for their shuttles), but when we finally got to the Budget office there were at least 50 others waiting for cars.  We waited an hour and a half there before getting a car.  They only had two at the desk (only one if one went on break or had to attend to returns).

You would think they'd know how many ships were coming in and staff accordingly. It isn't as though Ft. Lauderdale isn't used to ships arriving.