Nile Cruise -- Inoculation for Egypt

kcscrapper

We don't see any tour operator "recommended" inoculations for an upcoming Egypt/Nile adventure.

Does anyone have experience or information as to NOT getting shots before Egypt - when we are traveling with a well-known tour provider?

Egypt does not require any inoculations for travelers coming from the US or most developed countries.

US Centers for Disease Control https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/egypt

recommends the standard shots they recommend for travel to most developed countries as well as developing countries (shots that many, if not most, people who travel will have already had for their own personal protection). 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm late to this topic, but for anyone else looking for this information...  We spoke to our PCP and she suggested being fully up-to-date on all the normal stuff (Covid, MMR, influenza, pneumonia, shingles depending on your age, DPT, etc.) and also wanted us to get Hep A and B. 

She also referred us to a travel medicine clinic who suggested Typhoid and rabies.  We will definitely do Typhoid before we leave, we're still thinking about rabies, but leaning towards it as our travel plans for the next few years include a number of high risk regions.

Our PCP also gave us prescriptions for Cipro which we will fill and take with us.  It's our understanding that in Egypt is' not if but when the "Pharoah's Revenge" will hit you, regardless of how careful you are.

8 hours ago, ducklite said:

She also referred us to a travel medicine clinic who suggested Typhoid and rabies.  We will definitely do Typhoid before we leave, we're still thinking about rabies,

For typhoid there were 2 types of inoculations:  Injection or oral.  The injection is good for two years.  The oral is good for 5 years.  If you get the oral, if will need to be refrigerated.

9 hours ago, ducklite said:

Our PCP also gave us prescriptions for Cipro which we will fill and take with us.  It's our understanding that in Egypt is' not if but when the "Pharoah's Revenge" will hit you, regardless of how careful you are.

Certainly you should take an anti-diarrheal medicine with you, just in case.  

But to give you some comfort, we travelled through Egypt on a 2-week cruise and never had any stomach problems.  Of course, we ate either at our hotel, on board the ship, or at places that were included in the ship's excursion ... and bought some plain baked goods at the local markets a few times.

16 hours ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

Certainly you should take an anti-diarrheal medicine with you, just in case.  

But to give you some comfort, we travelled through Egypt on a 2-week cruise and never had any stomach problems.  Of course, we ate either at our hotel, on board the ship, or at places that were included in the ship's excursion ... and bought some plain baked goods at the local markets a few times.

We start the trip in the Ukraine prior to a currently unknown country (hopefully Austria where we know the water/food are fine) before Egypt.  The Ukraine is also an iffy place in terms of food and water sanitation, and we are spending some of our time there in a more rural area, so we are going prepared.  🙂 

• Like 1

I recall a rather and lengthy thread a few years ago. I’m not sure whether it was here on cruise critic or another board. It involved a Ukrainian (not sure whether by nationality or heritage) who took a poster to task for using the term “the Ukraine.” She said it was very insulting; up until I read that thread, I never thought three little letters could be so problematic. 

Folks traveling to Ukraine might want to read this article - https://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine/ - before traveling. It’s one of several articles that can be found by searching “is using ‘the Ukraine’ insulting.” No sense stepping on land mines and boobie traps unnecessarily. Just a heads up.

Watching the Euro 2020 with my kids, they also kept taking me to task over using "the" before Ukraine.  Tough to break old habits.  

The article also points out that Kiev is the Russian spelling, while Kyiv is the Ukrainian spelling.  Does it work out that way using the Cyrillic alphabet?

Edited by sharkster77

I talked to a neighbor who came to the US from Ukraine as a teenager after WWII. He said the two Cyrillic alphabets are different and the name of the city is different in each language. The difference must be important to him as he sent me an article that had this - “Ukrainian, the word for the city is Київ, while in Russian, it reads as Киев...”

Take it for what it’s worth to you.

Added note of trivia . . . The Russia protested Ukraine’s Euro 2020 kit to UEFA. UEFA split the baby. Ukraine got to retain the map outline on the jersey that included Crimea but had to remove a written motto that was deemed a political statement.

31 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I talked to a neighbor who came to the US from Ukraine as a teenager after WWII. He said the two Cyrillic alphabets are different and the name of the city is different in each language. The difference must be important to him as he sent me an article that had this - “Ukrainian, the word for the city is Київ, while in Russian, it reads as Киев...”

Take it for what it’s worth to you.

Added note of trivia . . . The Russia protested Ukraine’s Euro 2020 kit to UEFA. UEFA split the baby. Ukraine got to retain the map outline on the jersey that included Crimea but had to remove a written motto that was deemed a political statement.

Interesting--did not know that there was more than one Cyrillic alphabet.

A quote (Albert Einstein) from my youth that has always stuck with me is "The day you stop learning is the day you start dying".  Have tried to live my life that way, always LOVE learning new things (comes in handy watching Jeopardy!)

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I recall a rather and lengthy thread a few years ago. I’m not sure whether it was here on cruise critic or another board. It involved a Ukrainian (not sure whether by nationality or heritage) who took a poster to task for using the term “the Ukraine.” She said it was very insulting; up until I read that thread, I never thought three little letters could be so problematic. 

Folks traveling to Ukraine might want to read this article - https://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine/ - before traveling. It’s one of several articles that can be found by searching “is using ‘the Ukraine’ insulting.” No sense stepping on land mines and boobie traps unnecessarily. Just a heads up.

Interesting--I'll keep that in mind moving forward!

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Interesting--did not know that there was more than one Cyrillic alphabet.

A quote (Albert Einstein) from my youth that has always stuck with me is "The day you stop learning is the day you start dying".  Have tried to live my life that way, always LOVE learning new things (comes in handy watching Jeopardy!)

So agree on the quote.  I did know that there are numerous Cyrillic alphabets.  I've noticed small but distinct differences between the Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Serbian, Uzbek, and Montenegrin alphabets as I've researched various trips--either taken/actively planning, or dreaming of.  🙂