News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

26 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

Not on the Westerdam. After all this thread is on the Westerdam.

there is an epidemic of coronavirus which made people consider cancelling the Feb. 1 sailing out of HK...the cruise line chose to operate and are now in a cruise to nowhere (unless they have found a spot not sure) .  Most insurance does not cover this situation where you choose not to go because of this threat. Now US airlines are not flying into or out of HK and in retrospect cancelling would have been a very wise decision.  So no maybe no on board the ship but in general area which impact ports and flights.  Those considering cancelling were finding out insurance did not cover them  and went.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

When this is over, there’s a good chance it will be quick.  The SARS epidemic was raging in late April, and two months later in late June, it was declared over. People will take a little longer to start booking travel to Asia, but there will be promotions and this may fade from memory surprisingly fast.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_SARS_outbreak

this will take quite some time to settle down...people in China (some) are being asked to report for work this week...people are returning from NY trips etc. the peak is expected in Wuhan in mid Feb. so who really knows...but like SARS the immediate effect will be very light bookings for quite some time.  

5 hours ago, bobnatt said:

This is a situation that is truly an act of god and the cruise lines should be more concerned about their reputation rather then their internal rules or next quarters earning report.  This is what should be done for this on the cruise now: 1. Full refund (not credit) 2. FCC credit for the same level cabin for any cruise in the next two or three years 3. Full payment for the air fares and hotels  and 4. an inconvenience fee for an amount which I would peg as $10,000. They shouldn't worry about precedent as this is a once in a lifetime situation.

If they don't treat the customers fairly they will be in for class action suits and congressional hearings...it is a lot cheaper to do the right thing now

If it is an act of God other industries have outs (see airlines in regards to weather).

In regards to compensation  I can see a full refund OR a FCC valid for two years based on the price they paid for this cruise.

In regards to air fares and hotels.  This hasn't happened yet.  The people are still on the ship.  As of right now no one knows what will happen when the ship finally docks for disembarkation.  The interesting part will be how the passengers will get to their home countries, considering that many of airlines have cancelled flights.  It will depend on which of the two countries will allow them to disembark passengers or even both countries.

In regards to the $10,000 for their inconvenience.  Yeah right.  The only inconvenience they have had is being on a ship that hasn't stopped at any port.  They are still being fed, able to enjoy the shows and other facilities onboard ship.

Class action law suits????  I imagine they could find an attorney to file some type of lawsuit.  However keep in mind that the home countries of the passengers is much more diverse than your standard Caribbean cruises.  I am guessing there are US, Japanese (I think are several hundred), Mainland Chinese, Australian among others.

In regards to congressional hearings, they may happen.  But most likely won't register on anyone's radar by the time it happens.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Class action suits for what?  They have clearly followed all the guidances that were available to them at the time.  What are they going to be charged for/with??

are you kidding me? suits (class action or other) happen all the time with or without merit, and the meritless ones often win BIG. smart companies try very hard to stay out of court.

Edited by Viv0828
  • Like 1

Frankly the issue is not legal it is more marketing and customer relations.  Turn a lemon into lemonade.. In order to maintain the goodwill of the passengers and more importantly travel agents the cruise line should go the extra mile.

bing! bing! bing! winner with common sense and experience here!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

I personally think a cruise vacation is an investment you want to protect.

we don't buy cruise insurance. we self insure as do many others. even if we did not get a refund for our cancelled feb 15 cruise, we would have been ahead rather than buying insurance on all our previous cruises.

everyone needs to cost it out and see what works best for them.

we always have a medical policy. we can afford to lose a few thousand dollars if we miss a cruise but we cannot afford hundreds of thousands of dollars for a medical emergency.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gatour said:

The only inconvenience they have had is being on a ship that hasn't stopped at any port.  They are still being fed, able to enjoy the shows and other facilities onboard ship.

every time i see this sort of remark i see red. i would be in a psychological panic. i may be getting all my physical needs met, but there is more to that in a person.

some people may be enjoying an exciting adventure and others may be feeling like they are in prison - a luxourious prison but prison nonetheless. 

please don't judge all people by your likes and dislikes.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Which 2 countries/cities are the possible debarkation ports?

Kuala Lumpur? Singapore? Or, seen the course of the W, maybe Laem Chabang? At midnigth PST HAL will have the answer.

At 4:45 EST the Westerdam was off Cam Ranh Bay according to VesselTracker.com doing 15 knots.  The track looks more like they plan to turn west and then north to go up to Bangkok rather than bending more to the south to Singapore.  Yesterday Mein Schiff 6 and and Sapphire Princess docked there at Laem Chabang.  Sapphire is still there, and Silver Spirit had been lurking offshore and is now approaching the port.  So it looks like Thailand is accepting ships.  Crystal Symphony is near Westerdam off Vietnam, but is heading more south, and it's AIS reports Singapore as the destination.  Norwegian Jade is approaching Sihanoukville.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I just heard from our friends, SailingDutchy, on the Westerdam.  They are well, no one is ill on the ship and they are nearing their 14 day time to be clear.  Just waiting for the decision as to where they will be able to debark, as the next segment has been canceled.

"Thank goodness for the great staff, fabulous food and free alcohol."  Plus they have been given free internet to contact family and friends.  And Martha attached a map of where they are.

.IMG_5179.JPG.f1f4a6fa52e0c25864b69817b88222de.JPG

Thank you Ann, for posting this update.

1 hour ago, Viv0828 said:

we don't buy cruise insurance. we self insure as do many others. even if we did not get a refund for our cancelled feb 15 cruise, we would have been ahead rather than buying insurance on all our previous cruises.

we always have a medical policy. we can afford to lose a few thousand dollars if we miss a cruise but we cannot afford hundreds of thousands of dollars for a medical emergency.

If you cannot afford hundreds of thousands of dollars for a medical emergency, that’s why you buy insurance! All it takes is one of those and you’re faced with a huge financial hit. Hard to justify not paying for travel insurance. You’re playing Russian Roulette.

1 hour ago, Viv0828 said:

My apologies! I didn’t realize you said you always have a medical policy. 

1 hour ago, JennysUncle said:

Crystal Symphony is near Westerdam off Vietnam, but is heading more south, and it's AIS reports Singapore as the destination. 

Crystal Symphony is definitely planning on Singapore February 12 (of course that could change as fast as events are moving but I think it's pretty solid).   Authorities are requiring twice daily temperature checks for all pax and crew so it sounds like the authorities have a plan.  I would assume Singapore is not one of Westie's candidates or else someone would surely have reported temperature checks there.  Port Klang or Laem Chebang sound like reasonable possibilities for Westie.

Roy

10 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

If you cannot afford hundreds of thousands of dollars for a medical emergency, that’s why you buy insurance! All it takes is one of those and you’re faced with a huge financial hit. Hard to justify not paying for travel insurance. You’re playing Russian Roulette.

Amen to this. We’ve always purchased travel insurance for cruises and for international trips. Never used it until two years ago. We purchased the staterooms for 8 family members on a cruise. Our daughter-in-law fractured her back 4 weeks before sailing and the doctor recommended not going. Insurance saved us the cost of one those staterooms. Last year, my wife was hospitalized twice, once in ICU. We had to cancel an expensive international trip. Insurance allowed us to recoup the entire cost.

in my opinion, it is very short-sighted to not purchase travel insurance when making significant investments in a cruise or land vacation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viv0828 said:

Your medical policy...what was is that?  When I broke my leg on a trip, the foreign hospital didn’t want health insurance card from another country, didn’t want the trip insurance info and wouldn’t take credit cards. Cash only. Then you file loads of paperwork back home and wait to get reimbursed. I got paid from Allianz (broke it in the country before boarding) and from the ships insurance for not being able to make the trip. 

28 minutes ago, trav25 said:

Your medical policy...what was is that?  When I broke my leg on a trip, the foreign hospital didn’t want health insurance card from another country, didn’t want the trip insurance info and wouldn’t take credit cards. Cash only. Then you file loads of paperwork back home and wait to get reimbursed. I got paid from Allianz (broke it in the country before boarding) and from the ships insurance for not being able to make the trip. 

we have a yearly policy from geo blue. you can google it to see if it is appropriate for what you need. we have never made a claim but it has excellent reviews.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1