News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

6 minutes ago, dado123456 said:

No, it was the same supervisor, parallel wiping both ships. 😄

Now that makes more sense than some of the other comments I have been reading. Seriously though, I do feel for the passengers on both the Westerdam and the Diamond. Honestly do not know how I would handle this situation.

20 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

How do you know this was the same woman?

The question was what kind of behavior creates a 'super-spreader' on a ship. 

This woman after whom the supervisor wiped the surfaces she had touched was on a totally different Princess ship. She was an example of a 'super spreader' for noro. She touched everything only hours after the captain announced that noro cases had been detected and he gave advice on what to do to prevent further spread. Passengers were not supposed to touch everything unnecessarily.

I hope that confusion is now cleared up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

Agree on all points.

Cant fix previous mis-posts

To be clear:

- supervisor following woman case was on Princess, not on HAL.

- And suspicion was noro, not COVID-19.

Perhaps, you should take a break. Sometimes, we get overly emotional about a hot topic.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, hobo1937 said:

Looks like Canada is being proactive. Just read about a local Henderson NV couple who returned home from the Westerdam via Singapore and LAX and they say they are going shopping at Costco. We have 2 here in Henderson and I would love know which one so I can avoid going there!

I wouldn't say they are being proactive...they are still allowing flights from China!

3 hours ago, hal2008 said:

May be someone on this board will know better.

One of the post above as well as CDC website mention that rRT-PCR takes few hours.

Why is screening in Japan takes 2-3 days?

You wud assume that people being takem on the evacuation plane by USA wud get the best screening possible but 14 people were found during the transfer from bus to plane based on tests done 2-3 days ago.

Bit confused.

Its just logistics, the lab might be miles away.

The Japan Government was only using "government labs" for running the tests,  they are now allowing "private pathology labs" to run tests which is allowing for quicker results.

Edited by ThePenguin1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IRL_Joanie said:

Just saw this on Yahoo News. Awesome to see the Cambodian Premier shaking the hands of Westerdam Passengers as they came off the ship:) https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/cruise-passengers-took-cambodia-bus-204551389.html

Joanie

Not Awesome -- AWFUL. 

He also reprimanded people for wearing masks.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hobo1937 said:

Looks like Canada is being proactive. Just read about a local Henderson NV couple who returned home from the Westerdam via Singapore and LAX and they say they are going shopping at Costco. We have 2 here in Henderson and I would love know which one so I can avoid going there!

Geez! 

1 hour ago, Love the beach said:

I wouldn't say they are being proactive...they are still allowing flights from China!

Not certain Canada blocking direct flights from China will be effective when there are so many other connecting options.  To reach Canada from China you could easily connect through JFK, LAX or a host of other European, Asian. Africa or Middle East gateways.

There is no direct service between Cambodia and Canada.  However these passengers are managing to get back via intermediate transit hubs.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

That’s a good question.  They were bused to the airport and then would have taken a charter flight to Phnom Penh.  From there these passengers were flying to Kuala Lumpur where the passenger tested positive.  It takes about two hours to fly to Kuala Lumpur.  

Add to that the time for the charter flight, busing, security and wait time at Phnom Penh which is an unknown.  But, I certainly suspect there were a number of hours involved.

At the minimum, I would think it would have had to have been at least 7 hours between the loading of buses, travel, charter flight, etc.  It could possibly have been much longer depending on how long the wait was at Cambodia airport for their connection and depending on how long they waited for their testing.

was more thinking if they were allowed off ship on the 13th, prior to departure on the 14th

1 hour ago, IRL_Joanie said:

Just saw this on Yahoo News. Awesome to see the Cambodian Premier shaking the hands of Westerdam Passengers as they came off the ship:) https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/cruise-passengers-took-cambodia-bus-204551389.html

I agree. Welcome to our country as guests, not barely tolerated patients approached with masks and gloves. I'm sure he was acting on the best medical advice.  How good that advice was ... well, I'm not going to Monday morning quarterback it from the distance of a bulletin board. 

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1

I apologize if this has been answered previously....have read last several pages and from the beginning but could have missed some pages.   Is the CDC tracking the Westerdam passengers to ensure the virus is not being spread?   

I pray that all who have been sent home already stay well for their sakes for the  health of everyone in their home countries and along the way home.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

I apologize if this has been answered previously....have read last several pages and from the beginning but could have missed some pages.   Is the CDC tracking the Westerdam passengers to ensure the virus is not being spread?   

I pray that all who have been sent home already stay well for their sakes for the  health of everyone in their home countries and along the way home.

To my knowledge, CDC is not tracking them.

Border Security (Canada Customs here) has been alerted to the passengers and for those already home here (Canada) they have been tracked and asked to be self quarantined according to reports.

Not sure what exactly is happening in the U.S.

1 hour ago, npcl said:

was more thinking if they were allowed off ship on the 13th, prior to departure on the 14th

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

My understanding is that they were allowed off on the 13th and some passengers did go exploring.

1 hour ago, HokiePoq said:

I suspect it varies from country to country.  Not certain what the CDC is using in the US.  

For flights into Canada the airline has to transmit the passenger manifest to Boarder Services before take off.  They are comparing that to Westerdam passenger list and stopping them when on the jet bridge when they land in Canada.  The local health region is then alerted and tracks the passenger when they get home.  For the ones that slipped through that process the local health region is tracking down and monitoring. 

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

To my knowledge, CDC is not tracking them.

Border Security (Canada Customs here) has been alerted to the passengers and for those already home here (Canada) they have been tracked and asked to be self quarantined according to reports.

Not sure what exactly is happening in the U.S.

Glad Canada is being proactive.  Have not heard what is happening if anything in US.   Lots on news about the Princess passengers.   Not so afraid of that as they are being quarantined on arrival.    It's the unknown factor that is scary with so much opportunity for transmission if anyone had it and was asymptomatic when they left Cambodia.   

3 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

Glad Canada is being proactive.  Have not heard what is happening if anything in US.   Lots on news about the Princess passengers.   Not so afraid of that as they are being quarantined on arrival.    It's the unknown factor that is scary with so much opportunity for transmission if anyone had it and was asymptomatic when they left Cambodia.   

If it helps, the 400+ passengers that were held back when the one woman tested positive have all tested negative.

That’s over 35% of the passengers on the ship.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kazu said:

They were ALL from Diamond Princess.  it was one of the flights that the U.S. chartered - a converted cargo plane.

Yes, I know.  Thus my comment that the other passengers on the chartered flight were from the Diamond Princess.  Someone may misconstrue that the 14 passengers were on a flight with non Diamond Princess passengers.  I was trying to clarify.

1 hour ago, HokiePoq said:

Yes, the Passengers who have already returned home have been contacted by their local Department of Health.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kazu said:

If it helps, the 400+ passengers that were held back when the one woman tested positive have all tested negative.

That’s over 35% of the passengers on the ship.  

On HAL site it said they were "screened", I am not sure it that means tested.  It might be the same thing as taking temperatures, not sure.

"Guests at a hotel in Phnom Penh have all completed the COVID-19 screening. Results are being returned when completed, with the first batch of 406 all being negative"

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Level six said:

On HAL site it said they were "screened", I am not sure it that means tested.  It might be the same thing as taking temperatures, not sure.

"Guests at a hotel in Phnom Penh have all completed the COVID-19 screening. Results are being returned when completed, with the first batch of 406 all being negative"

They were tested.  That’s how the one passenger was discovered.

Lots of info on the news of the testing.  

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

They were tested.  That’s how the one passenger was discovered.

Lots of info on the news of the testing.  

The passenger was found in Malaysia at the airport.  Not in Cambodia or on the ship obviously.  

Even passengers at the hotel have twitted that it was temperature taken. 

Testing and screening are different.  They were all screened on the ship, which involved taking temperatures and answering questions, only a few were tested.  It is a big difference.  

Obviously I am not trying to convince you of anything because neither of us know what is actually happening.  I was supposed to be on this cruise, so I have followed it closely and also looked up the sources carefully, so I am confident in what I am saying. 

Edited by Level six
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Level six said:

The passenger was found in Malaysia at the airport.  Not in Cambodia or on the ship obviously.  

Even passengers at the hotel have twitted that it was temperature taken. 

Testing and screening are different.  They were all screened on the ship, which involved taking temperatures and answering questions, only a few were tested.  It is a big difference.  

I am fully aware that the passenger was found in Malaysia at the airport.  I never said anything different.

I have been keeping up very carefully as I had friends on this ship and have an interest as well since many are coming back to Canada.

And to correct you no, passengers at the hotel have been been tested. I am not relying on HAL’s reports 😉 

I know what I have read & seen as does my DH who is glued more than I and knowledgeable on this.  

I guess you have a bee in your bonnet and want to argue for arguments sake.

So be it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1