newbie questions about having laundry done on ship

We never do laundry (back in the day when they had coin-op machines) on a cruise because we've never gone for more than 7 days.  We just pack enough clothes.  Going on a much longer cruise this year and needing to think about that strategy, esp since the airlines are now charging for luggage.

So ... how does it work?  Can you really send out everything, not just stuff that would normally go to the dry cleaners?  Like blue jeans and socks and underwear and t-shirts?   Is it expensive?  And what is the quality of the work done?  Wife will not be happy if they put a red shirt in with her white socks and it all comes back pink!  LOL

Just need the basic info on sending out laundry.  We'll be on Explorer - no coin-op machines so it's either bring enough clothes or pay Explorer to do it for us.  What do I need to know?

I have used their laundry service many times.  They will offer a special where you fit as many items as you want into a bag they give you.  The price will vary on whether you are diamond. Emerald etc

I think the regular price is $35.  

I was just on a b2b for 3 weeks and on average I fit about 20 items into the bag.  That includes underwear shorts capris pjs tshirts.  I bring a small bottle with woolite and handwash bathing suits and bras and hang on clothesline in the shower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are two kinds of laundry service for which you pay. 

One is “real” laundry. You pay by the piece. They are careful and clean your things well. This is not inexpensive, but most ppl think that prices are not out of line with what you would pay at home for this service. 

Then there is the “wash ‘n’ fold” service, which we often call “stuff a bag.”  For $35, they will wash all the underwear, socks, shorts, pajamas, t shirts you can stuff into a smallish plastic bag. And you can stuff a lot in there!  But they use hot water and hot air so don’t send anything that isn’t color-fast or shrink- resistant. 

IMG_4412.JPG

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have used their laundry service many times.  They will offer a special where you fit as many items as you want into a bag they give you.  The price will vary on whether you are diamond. Emerald etc

I think the regular price is $35.  

I was just on a b2b for 3 weeks and on average I fit about 20 items into the bag.  That includes underwear shorts capris pjs tshirts.  I bring a small bottle with woolite and handwash bathing suits and bras and hang on clothesline in the shower.

IME, there is no need to bring a bottle of woolite.   The shower gel that is in the small tubes or in the shower dispenser is an excellent hand-wash laundry soap.  It cleans well and rinses out easily and completely.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is just ridiculously helpful.  I really appreciate it!

Seems like on our 5 day in November we got a paper bag a couple of days in that had a "special" price on it for laundry.  Anybody know about when that special bag shows up?  

I agree with those that say - 'be careful' what you send in.  I have had items ruined - colors changed.  I have used the shower gel to hand wash items and hang to dry.  I cold wash some of my clothes at home, since I don't want them to shrink.  Not available onboard ship.

29 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

This is just ridiculously helpful.  I really appreciate it!

Seems like on our 5 day in November we got a paper bag a couple of days in that had a "special" price on it for laundry.  Anybody know about when that special bag shows up?  

It should be a plastic bag.  The paper bag is for "real" laundry, with the price list I posted above.

You can ask your cabin steward for the bag.  You don't have to wait for a specific day.

Depending on the ship, it takes 24-48 hours.  On a five night cruise, you need to be aware of those times.  (are you traveling before your cruise and plan to board with dirty laundry?)

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I had a pair of slacks ruined and husband had a new golf shirt ruined.  I only send underwear, socks, shirts, pjs since then.  As Merion Mom said, they use HOT water and hot air dryers.

Yeah, oops. Laundry Bag wash/fold special is restricted to Undies, Sox, PJ's, Swimsuits, Gym clothes Tshirts/Shorts. No pants, Cargo, button up shirts, any nice clothes. It use to say if put wrong item in bag you'd get charged the reg one item price, now think they'll wash/dry(Fade/Shrink) in Hot anyway... Though most my stuff comes back Wrinkled/Faded instead of Wash/Fold. Still use it since Free(Diamond Plus) and always Cruise 21+ nites minimum

Be careful to ensure your steward knows that you want the wash and fold special.  On a recent cruise we stuffed the bag for the wash and fold special announced in the Compass. (We also had a $10 discount as Diamond category).  There was a misunderstanding, and the laundry came back on hangers and in some cases seemed to be ironed, and with a price of over $70.  I straightened it out with Guest Services, but would rather no have had the issue at all.

We have often used wash and fold in the past, and as long as you don’t include delicate fabrics or saturated colours, the results are just as if you ran the load through the hot wash and dry cycles at home. Very handy for long cruises, and it helps to reduce the amount you need to pack.  We have a bachelor friend who always gets the wash and fold just to ensure he arrives home with mostly clean laundry!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

IME, there is no need to bring a bottle of woolite.   The shower gel that is in the small tubes or in the shower dispenser is an excellent hand-wash laundry soap.  It cleans well and rinses out easily and completely.

This is my experience as well.  

I bring these small magnetic hooks and wash an item in the sink with the body wash in the shower dispenser, let it drip in the shower, then squeeze out the last of the water by rolling the item in a towel and stepping on it (gets out WAY more water than wringing, and doesn't wrinkle or stretch the fabric like wringing).  

Then I use a clothes hanger to hang the item from the magnetic hook from the ceiling, preferably by the air vent or in front of my little desk fan for fastest drying.  Works wonderfully!  (If the only hangers you have in the closet are the straight kind that hook into the closet rod, ask your room attendant for a few "real" hangers to hang from the hooks.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:43 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah, oops. Laundry Bag wash/fold special is restricted to Undies, Sox, PJ's, Swimsuits, Gym clothes Tshirts/Shorts. No pants, Cargo, button up shirts, any nice clothes. It use to say if put wrong item in bag you'd get charged the reg one item price, now think they'll wash/dry(Fade/Shrink) in Hot anyway... Though most my stuff comes back Wrinkled/Faded instead of Wash/Fold. Still use it since Free(Diamond Plus) and always Cruise 21+ nites minimum

I have used the laundry special bag on several cruises.  Just last week I put his and her shorts as well as 2 pairs of capris  2 polo shirts and 2 button down short sleeve shirts along with underwear and t shirts and everything came back in great condition.  No extra charge for shorts etc.  

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have used the laundry special bag on several cruises.  Just last week I put his and her shorts as well as 2 pairs of capris  2 polo shirts and 2 button down short sleeve shirts along with underwear and t shirts and everything came back in great condition.  No extra charge for shorts etc.  

Not supposed to, luck that werent charged...or wrecked