MSC ranked among the worst cruise ships.....

BermudaBound2014

2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

"I doubt that is true." 

RE: the OP.

The study isn't true? I'm not following. Just a quick look at the current reviews substantiates the article.

I stand behind the claim... If sailing on <insert any ship on the list> you are less likely to report a positive experience when compared to other ships that are reviewed here on CC.

We've all had stats101 and understand the limits of the article when generalizing to a larger population. However; I've never attempted to do that. In fact, I've been very careful to state the limits of the study.

If you have data to refute the claim, I love a good discussion.

The only problem when comparing written to video reviews, is that it's much easier to scan through the written stuff I don't want to get to the points I want to see. I don't need to read about someone's travel from packing until they get to the port.

When watching videos, a lot of people spend a lot of time with the same types of irrelevant background information. Videos are a lot harder to scan to get to the point. I find this true with all informational & instructional videos.  

That said, they can be very helpful; just far more time consuming.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

People shouldn't toss around terms like meta analysis without understanding what they mean as I don't know what this 'study' was, but it was nothing like a meta analysis.

I do understand what a meta analysis is, and agree, it's probably not the best term to describe this article. However; in a broad sense, if we treat each reviewer as a separate study, and cc uses a formula to combine each 'study' (N=1), then the term is relevant, yet outside of the statistical correctness.

Besides, we aren't here to prove or disprove the stats in the article, are we? CC has already done that, please go review if in doubt. I outlined the limits of the 'study' (in parenthesis) right out of the gate. Some will love the 13 ships on the list. You might even be able to make the claim that most will love the 13 on the list. However; what claim you can not make is that the 13 ships on the list gather the same amount of positive reviews comparatively.

Are you disagreeing that those 13 ships have the lowest reviews? If so, please point me to your evidence. Otherwise, I'm going to agree with the author and in claiming that the 13 on the  list are the 13 ships least likely to elicit positive reviews. Nothing more. Nothing less.

C'mon, in a even broad sense it's obvious, no? 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The study isn't true? I'm not following. Just a quick look at the current reviews substantiates the article.  Really?  For ALL cruise ships of all cruise lines?  Sorry, not even remotely close.  The historic and cumulative current reviews for almost one hundred other ships on other cruise lines would make "this list" moot at best and a total joke at worst.  Seriously, look at all of the ships from all of the cruise lines and for one to assert "this list" is the worst is a total garbage hit job, specifically on MSC; but subtle asides to another.  IMO.

I stand behind the claim... If sailing on <insert any ship on the list> you are less likely to report a positive experience when compared to other ships that are reviewed here on CC.  Agreed.

We've all had stats101 and understand the limits of the article when generalizing to a larger population. However; I've never attempted to do that. In fact, I've been very careful to state the limits of the study.

If you have data to refute the claim, I love a good discussion.  Not my job, the "source" didn't present the data for "all ships" on "all cruise lines."  WHY?  IMO, they didn't do such.  Again, look at all of the ships on all cruise lines; these are the worst?  Seriously, or contra; it doesn't pass the smell test.  I don't need to provide the 'data; "they do."  Shoot them an email and ask for "the entire CC ratings for all cruise ships."  I do not believe you will get such.  WHY?  I do not believe they even conducted such scope "to all."

Thanks for the reply, we simply disagree.  

These, for me, is where there is a RED LINE that make it 'a joke IMO compared to so many other ships on so many other cruise lines.

13. Ovation of the seas

12. Quantum of the seas

11. Princess Majestic

10. MSC Meriviglia

1 minute ago, Formula280SS said:

Thanks for the reply, we simply disagree.  

These, for me, is where there is a RED LINE that make it 'a joke IMO compared to so many other ships on so many other cruise lines.

13. Ovation of the seas

12. Quantum of the seas

11. Princess Majestic

10. MSC Meriviglia

I don't think the author was trying to make the claim about ALL ships. I believe the intent was to list only those ships which are reviewed here on CC. Of those ships, those with the 13 lowest ratings were listed. I've looked at the average scores here  on CC and agree with the author. Note, I'm not agreeing that these are the 13 worst ships sailing, I'm agreeing that these are the 13 lowest ranked here on CC. 

Regarding 12 and 13 making the bottom on the list, it doesn't surprise me. I've been on Anthem (sister ship) and believe there is a significant design flaw (although 270 is an excellent space). I know nothing about Magestic Princess and while I have not sailed Meraviglia personally,  some of CC's most positive MSC fans have reported here on the forum that  they very much disliked Meraviglia. In fact, there are 3 people who I would consider MSC experts and they have all given Meraviglia a big thumbs down. Enough that I wouldn't select her unless there were outside circumstances effecting my decision. 

Thank you for a good discussion. I love a debate that doesn't get personal and attempts to take both sides into account.  I'd probably enjoy sharing a beverage with you..... .on Seaside or Divina :). 

I don’t understand. How can a survey be garbage? By definition it is someone’s opinion. 

now- if you are suggesting the survey has been tampered with and that is what you mean by “I have gone to the source and taken time to see how they cook the ratings”, that is another thing entirely. It seems you have a responsibility to expose such corruption. 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't think the author was trying to make the claim about ALL ships. I believe the intent was to list only those ships which are reviewed here on CC. Of those ships, those with the 13 lowest ratings were listed. I've looked at the average scores here  on CC and agree with the author. Note, I'm not agreeing that these are the 13 worst ships sailing, I'm agreeing that these are the 13 lowest ranked here on CC. 

Regarding 12 and 13 making the bottom on the list, it doesn't surprise me. I've been on Anthem (sister ship) and believe there is a significant design flaw (although 270 is an excellent space). I know nothing about Magestic Princess and while I have not sailed Meraviglia personally,  some of CC's most positive MSC fans have reported here on the forum that  they very much disliked Meraviglia. In fact, there are 3 people who I would consider MSC experts and they have all given Meraviglia a big thumbs down. Enough that I wouldn't select her unless there were outside circumstances effecting my decision. 

Thank you for a good discussion. I love a debate that doesn't get personal and attempts to take both sides into account.  I'd probably enjoy sharing a beverage with you..... .on Seaside or Divina :). 

Don't have time currently, but will address other issues re: CC ratings by CL and ship.

RE:  the proffer that it wasn't about "all ships" (versus the defense that it was only about ratings on CC); a reasonably prudent person (and then everyone else) will see only the title (which has no such 'scope limitation).

As an aside, for those down-thumbing MSC, not a problem for us.  We'll $ail it over and over and over.  Meraviglia?  Yep.  

msc.JPG

I must be a glutton for punishment.  I just booked my second MSC cruise.  On top of that I'll be on the Ovation of the Seas again in two months.  To be honest I wasn't impressed with MSC nor the Ovation but that doesn't stop me from having a good time.  I'm on the cruises for the people and the ports.  The food and service is secondary.  I still don't have to make my own bed nor cook my own meals - I'm happy.

I find it interesting than many of MSC's European cruisers don't like their experience when cruising the Caribbean out of Miami.  MSC in recent years has so Americanized its Caribbean cruises with different rules, products, food, and passenger treatment, that Europeans prefer to cruise the other side of the pond where the experience is Italian style.  Unfortunately few of them post on Cruise Critic or submit reviews of their cruise.

p.s. I'm an American ex-pat and understand both sides.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Capricruiser said:

I find it interesting than many of MSC's European cruisers don't like their experience when cruising the Caribbean out of Miami.  MSC in recent years has so Americanized its Caribbean cruises with different rules, products, food, and passenger treatment, that Europeans prefer to cruise the other side of the pond where the experience is Italian style.  Unfortunately few of them post on Cruise Critic or submit reviews of their cruise.

p.s. I'm an American ex-pat and understand both sides.

I'm a Canadian and have cruise MSC in Europe 6 times, and have 7 and 8 coming up in May-Jun.

I am very reluctant to cruise MSC in the Caribbean for all the reasons you state here.

I don't want an American experience on MSC. If I did, I'd sale an american cetric line.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, electro said:

I'm a Canadian and have cruise MSC in Europe 6 times, and have 7 and 8 coming up in May-Jun.

I am very reluctant to cruise MSC in the Caribbean for all the reasons you state here.

I don't want an American experience on MSC. If I did, I'd sale an american cetric line.

I think I'm beginning to understand why our cruise last week was so different from what we were expecting. Each night, the waiter asked how our day in port was. I was thinking on the inside, "I was looking forward to not having to make small chat with our waiter!!!"

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 10:31 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Below are the 13 'worst' cruise ships identified by "far and wide'. You can determine if this study is credible or not.

https://www.farandwide.com/s/worst-cruise-ships-c8eb6e9ffd384546

Another crappy slide show site. Not worth looking at and the information isn't worth anything either.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:52 AM, ronbe65 said:

Another "Worst Cruise Line" title is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1WXgNyysiA&t=990s

What makes me cross however, is that the poster ( that considers himself an expert) is taking the garbage survey as a real thing instead of telling his subscribers: "Hey, there is another garbage survey out there. Watch your steps! Don't take it seriously. Just smile!"

I have taken the time to go to the original source and see how they cook their ratings.

It wasn't professional. But many resources have already quoted that nonsense...

Happy cruising!

What a ridiculous comparison Viking to MSC its a completely different experience, price point ,and demographic. Utter garbage.

• Like 1

Well I am trying out MSC in Jan. 2021.   And looking forward to bumping elbows with Europeans though I cant speak more than half a dozen words from the Old World.  If ice in my glass isn't exact ice cube count or if my dinner is not absolutely perfect I am going to enjoy myself regardless .  (And this farmer knows steak; even butchering; and had worst steak on a Princess Cruise but never mentioned it till now)  I read the reviews and now looking forward to Italy, Greece and Israel itinerary.  I intend to learn how to say 'Some of my fellow Americans are snob's; I am a simple farmer; whats your drink of choice."  

Edited by farmermark
Oops
  • Like 1