Expedition Cruising

jjs217

When Regent visits Antarctica, the itinerary states "Expedition Cruising" for three different locations.  What is the difference between that and just regular scenic cruising?  Of course, I'm not talking about at sea days where you don't see much.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, jjs217 said:

When Regent visits Antarctica, the itinerary states "Expedition Cruising" for three different locations.  What is the difference between that and just regular scenic cruising?  Of course, I'm not talking about at sea days where you don't see much.

Thanks!

Nothing at all.  Regent is trying to get some money from "soft" expedition cruising but you will never get in a small boat (unless you jump overboard and they come pick you up) and never get ashore.

Marc

This looks like a “drive by” cruise.  We did an exhibition cruise of Antarctica with Ponant.  There were two landings per day via zodiac and lots of wildlife.  However, the shades of white and atmospheric conditions would still make this an attractive cruise.  The Drake passage can be daunting but medication works.  

Regent has its various qualities but going to Antarctica with them would be a big mistake.  The nearest you can get to a Regent-style cruise that does deliver the goods in terms of luxury and on-board facilities would be Seabourn Quest and also Silversea's Cloud.  Also consider Scenic Eclipse.  Seabourn has a new ship from 2021 called Seabourn Venture and that might turn out to be the market leader in the luxury sector.

• Like 2

Thank you for your responses.  My husband said, "If we are going to go all the way down there - I want to at least step on the continent."  So, we will probably go with Seabourn as we have sailed with them before.  We took a Scenic Cruise on the Mekong River, and they were great. Their new expedition ship is gorgeous.  I've got some deciding to do, but won't go with Regent.  Thanks for the advice.

I agree that an exhibition cruise is the gold standard.   We had marvelous lectures and memorable landings.  However, that being said, some passengers may want to see Antarctica and, due to physical limitations, may not be able to handle the landings.   The scenery, the light conditions, the thousands of shades of white also make this an attractive cruise.   On our landings, we saw (and smelled) more penguins than I can count, we slid down a high snow bank, and we got up close and personal with molting elephant seals.  But, we also saw huge whales bubble feeding (using the ship as a plankton corral), hunting orcas, and a stranded emperor penguin (that the naturalist couldn’t figure out how he got there) - all seen from the ship.  All this to say that a “drive by” would not be a waste of time, although, if you are able, an expedition is better. 

• Like 3

Concur Rachel; we also have done many classic voyages on both Regent and Silversea. 

Now, prefer expedition cruising on Silversea (e.g.Arctic last summer, Ushuaia to Capetown in two weeks, and the Northwest Passage in the next few years).   For this Cape to Cape voyage, we have over a dozen zodiac landings planned.  Weather/sea conditions permitting, landings over three days in the Falklands, we have 5 zodiac landing days in South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, and Landing days in three islands of St. Helena)

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Concur Rachel; we also have done many classic voyages on both Regent and Silversea. 

Now, prefer expedition cruising on Silversea (e.g.Arctic last summer, Ushuaia to Capetown in two weeks, and the Northwest Passage in the next few years).   For this Cape to Cape voyage, we have over a dozen zodiac landings planned.  Weather/sea conditions permitting, landings over three days in the Falklands, we have 5 zodiac landing days in South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, and Landing days in three islands of St. Helena)

I'm sure you are aware, Les, that your Cape to Cape cruise does not visit St Helena, famous as Napoleon's last home.  Your cruise goes to Tristan da Cunha, Nightingale and Gough which are now treated as a separate British Overseas Territory whereas until recently they came under the jurisdiction of St Helena which is a 1000-odd miles away.  

The South Sandwich Islands are about 500 miles from South Georgia though the UK regards them as in the same group.  To my knowledge, only Aurora Expeditions ever gets as remote as the South Sandwich group.  

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1