Bands are your keys

garymfreedman

In case this info helps anybody else....

I live in Australia and will be travelling around Canada and the US for 9 weeks before boarding the VV cruise at the end of my holiday. 

Since I won’t be home in the month before my cruise to receive my band, I live chatted them today.

They made a note on my booking for the band NOT to be posted out and said I could pick it up at the port on check-in. Phew! 🙂

• Thanks 1

It's interesting they are mailing them out. Seems an unnecessary waste of money.  I like how Celebrity is doing the boarding now with the keycards waiting at your cabin. Would not be surprised to see Virgin switch to something like that within the first year.  No need to mail them in advance, we can get them at the ship.  Looking forward to seeing how these work out in August when we board.

Edited by creativegenius

15 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I wonder if they will have keys available for those that don't want bands. Even Disney has regular keys available, though they tell you not to use them.

Honestly curious, why would you not want to use them? Wristbands are much more convenient than the cards. Thanks for your thoughts!

6 minutes ago, creativegenius said:

Honestly curious, why would you not want to use them? Wristbands are much more convenient than the cards. Thanks for your thoughts!

Not original commenter, but some people are very picky about stuff they wear on their bodies. For example, I'm one of the lanyard haters. Sometimes it can be for fashion reasons, I suppose others may have skin/allergy stuff. (For lanyards, I just don't like stuff hanging around my neck, and can only wear very thin/lightweight necklaces.)

I'm just guessing though. 

Edited by perditax

Princess medallion class ships already do this. Our last cruise there were no cards.  We just had the medallions and it was great. They sold lots of accessories so you could choose how to wear it.  I chose a bracelet, there were also necklaces and watch band styles to choose from as well as wearing it in it's case on a lanyard.  I think it's great they're doing this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Princess medallion class ships already do this. Our last cruise there were no cards.  We just had the medallions and it was great. They sold lots of accessories so you could choose how to wear it.  I chose a bracelet, there were also necklaces and watch band styles to choose from as well as wearing it in it's case on a lanyard.  I think it's great they're doing this.

That's great! So there was no extra charge for the medallions even on the lowest price inside cabins?

48 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I don't wear "bracelets". Only stuff I wear on my arm is my wedding band and a watch. Even last time I was at Disney I had my magic band in a bag and only took out if necessary. A band is not convenient to leave in my pocket, like a flat card.

A watch is just a bracelet with a clock

Edited by hotsauce126
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love it.  It's not an entirely new concept, but it's a great execution.   I actually have several men's bracelets that have a similar nautical look.  Rope and anchor/hook which I mostly wear on cruises, so this will be similar. 

30 minutes ago, garymfreedman said:

What would be really cooll, would be if they eventually set it up so your iwatch could be your "key". My iphone is already my key in some hotels, why not a cruise ship...

You can use your smartphone on Celebrity Edge-Class Ships to open your cabin doors.

I have tried using my phone in hotel rooms. Sometimes it works great, sometimes no so much.