Finally booking.. have some questions

Sersee

After talking to my family, we have finally agreed to book the Breakaway. We were all nervous because we have Read  some negative reviews And it’s different then what we are used to( only been on Carnival). 

The most we read is the pool deck is small, but we don’t care about that. People told me it’s overcrowded. Hopefully we enjoy the ship!! 

We thought the rooms looked nice(balcony). There seems to be a lot on board. My kids are 23 , 18 and 15 years old .  My daughter’s  Boyfriend also is coming and he is 25.  So we went for it. We have connecting rooms With 3 each, so we got offers for both rooms.

Now I wAnt to learn as much as I can. We did get all free at sea offers . I’m excited about the specialty dining .

1)For my son (who is the third in our room), do I pay a cover for specialty dining or just pay what each item costs like a restaurant? I then need to tip on his portion correct? 

2)My husband wears a C pap so what is the plug situation ?  On Carnival , I was able to use an extension cord. It plugged in across the room. There wasn’t a table on my side so I was unable to use my phone in bed and had to charge it on the desk. 

3)C pap wise, is Norwegian like Carnival where you just carry it on?

4) We are cruising out of Miami . I will be flying into Ft Lauderdale. Is it easier to Uber to Miami and just stay down there for the night? 

5)Any tips for the Breakaway?

thank you!!!

54 minutes ago, Sersee said:

After talking to my family, we have finally agreed to book the Breakaway. We were all nervous because we have Read  some negative reviews And it’s different then what we are used to( only been on Carnival). 
Just because it is on the internet, it doesn't make it true. People (especially those on the NCL forum) like to complain. We have sailed on the Breakaway (BA) 4 times... soon to be 5 and have enjoyed every minute. 

The most we read is the pool deck is small, but we don’t care about that. People told me it’s overcrowded. Hopefully we enjoy the ship!! 
It is one of NCL's megaships with tons of things to do and see. Lots of entertainment venues to enjoy live music every night. Yup, you will be onboard with 4200 of your new friends. But we have never had any problems with it. We enjoy live music and the broadway shows. 

We thought the rooms looked nice(balcony). There seems to be a lot on board. My kids are 23 , 18 and 15 years old .  My daughter’s  Boyfriend also is coming and he is 25.  So we went for it. We have connecting rooms With 3 each, so we got offers for both rooms.

Now I wAnt to learn as much as I can. We did get all free at sea offers . I’m excited about the specialty dining .

1)For my son (who is the third in our room), do I pay a cover for specialty dining or just pay what each item costs like a restaurant? I then need to tip on his portion correct? 
Most people find it [a lot] cheaper to buy a 3-meal Specialty Dining Package for $118 per person for the 3rd person in each cabin. That way, they feel free to order what they want. 

2)My husband wears a C pap so what is the plug situation ?  On Carnival , I was able to use an extension cord. It plugged in across the room. There wasn’t a table on my side so I was unable to use my phone in bed and had to charge it on the desk. 
NCL does not provide any outlets bedside. You should carry your own extension cord to bring power from the desk to the CPAP. We always carry a lightweight 12' cord and a lightweight 6' cord to cover all room configurations (especially if you have a 3rd person sleeping on the sofa). They must be plain extension cords with no surge protection. 

3)C pap wise, is Norwegian like Carnival where you just carry it on?
You can carry it on if you want. We travel a lot and don't have any issues with just leaving it in our checked luggage. 

4) We are cruising out of Miami . I will be flying into Ft Lauderdale. Is it easier to Uber to Miami and just stay down there for the night? 
That's really up to you and your hotel preference. We stay in downtown miami and uber from the airport to the hotel, then from the hotel to the terminal in the morning. 

5)Any tips for the Breakaway?

As I said earlier, it is one of NCL's megaships. You should make dinner and show reservations (Six and Burn the Floor) exactly 120 days prior to your departure. As you get closer to your departure date, restaurants and shows will sell out. NCL holds some seats at restaurants and shows for onboard bookings. 

Complimentary comedy shows, complimentary escape rooms can only be booked once you are onboard and should be a priority when you embark. Comedy shows can be booked on any of the touch screen kiosks near elevator lobbies. The escape rooms can only be booked at the show reservation center (check your Welcome Aboard flyer you get at check-in for the current location). 

There is a dinner show Velvet (extra charge) and Canvas by U (painting class -extra charge). 

Enroll the 15 year old in the Entourage teen club on embarkation day and make sure they go on the first night to make friends. You will never see them again after that. 

The 18 year old can drink beer and wine if you sign the alcohol waiver at Guest Services on embarkation day. 

thank you!!!

Enjoy the beautiful Norwegian Breakaway!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Enjoy the beautiful Norwegian Breakaway!

Thank you for the info!  Almost everything needs to be prebooked then? I knew the shows needed to and the specialty dining. .

I have looked at so many ships that im getting them all confused. On NCL it’s “freestyle” correct? So we can Eat when we want? Do I need to make reservations for the main dining rooms?

On Carnival, we had to immediately meet with the Maitre d about my sons allergy and it was noted on our reservation. When our waiter came they were already aware . He always picked his meal the night before. Is it similar?

I Do know about the non surge extension cords. Is there only one plug? Are both outlets US ones? 

6 hours ago, esm54687 said:

2) if he uses a humidifier...... just call and request distilled water be delivered to your room. NCL will do that for no cost. 

Oh good to know!  I wasn’t sure if I had to preorder it .

3 minutes ago, Sersee said:

Oh good to know!  I wasn’t sure if I had to preorder it .

I meant to call NCL (or TA) before departure so it will be in the room waiting....... this way the steward has time to get it while he's doing his "cruise turnover setup".   It's just a courtesy for them so they don't have to run around on a crazy day.  You can still wait until you're on board to ask but it's just making it easier for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sersee said:

On NCL it’s “freestyle” correct? So we can Eat when we want? Do I need to make reservations for the main dining rooms?

MDR does not require reservations.

1 hour ago, Sersee said:

On Carnival, we had to immediately meet with the Maitre d about my sons allergy and it was noted on our reservation. When our waiter came they were already aware . He always picked his meal the night before. Is it similar?

You can email accessdesk@ncl.com to notify in advance so it's noted on the reservation, but they are also VERY conscious of asking for any food allergies when they seat you.  I'm not sure if they'll let him pick his meal the night before, I haven't sailed NCL with someone with a food allergy.

There is also a form - https://www.ncl.com/case-submission/ad-cust-cases-us

On some lines the access desk can also be used for requesting an extension cord to be provided and routed before you show up in your room, or if you ask your room steward they would provide and route it so it's not a tripping hazard.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

Thank you for that. I will contact them. That makes it easier than having to meet with the Maitre d. On my last cruise, they went above and beyond even to the point of making him a special dessert. It’s  nice to hear I can contact them and find out exactly how it works!

2 hours ago, Sersee said:

Thank you for the info!  Almost everything needs to be prebooked then? I knew the shows needed to and the specialty dining. .

I have looked at so many ships that im getting them all confused. On NCL it’s “freestyle” correct? So we can Eat when we want? Do I need to make reservations for the main dining rooms?

I Do know about the non surge extension cords. Is there only one plug? Are both outlets US ones? 

While it is nice to prebook, especially specialty dining, it is by no means necessary. NCL releases around 35% of available dining spots for booking before boarding, and holds back about 65%. If you don't like what you can get before boarding, there will be a designated place to make dining reservations. Go there when  you board and you should have no trouble making reservations.

There is no need for reservations n any of the three main dining rooms. sometimes there is a short wait, just like at home, but they will give you a pager and let you know when your table is ready. I find that reservations in the main dining rooms are pretty worthless.

The allergy situation is handled in a similar fashion.

I can't remember if there is one plug or two, but you can always bring an adapter and use the European plug that is available.

NCL is great with allergies, if you contact them ahead of time the dietary manager will come to your table in the MDR on embarkment lunch, Dd preordered dinner and breakfast every day (you will call when you are headed to whatever dining venue you choose and it will be delivered to your table).

• Like 1

Another question:

I just put down my deposit and went into my ncl to see all the information. I was looking at excursions. For Harvest Caye there are only 7 options. Does that mean everything was booked already? Also I didn't see the Mr. Sanchos people talk about in Cozumel or Natchi?