Princess Memory Foam Mattresses

Sky Princess Memory Foam Mattresses: After sailing with Princess for more than 20 years, I considered Princess to be one of the best in the Carnival Corporation, I sailed with them long before they were part of Carnival. That said, they have decided as a group to change over to installing memory foam mattresses in all of their ships. Memory foam beds are great for some people and others their worst nightmare. I fit into the latter, as Memory foam stores body heat and does not disperse it, so you sleep warmer, this suits some people but not others. If you suffer with body heat, then you are going to sweat or feel hot then cold as the body tries to regulate your sleeping temperature. As you sleep your body temperature drops slightly, nature’s way to keep you asleep longer but the manufactures of memory foam say, that with its product, the memory foam releases that heat back to you and consequently you will sleep deeper. However, 1 in 13 people cannot sleep well on memory foam and will not be able to sleep well at all and, indeed, will sweat and become over heated, as I do. Not only that, Princess now add a 2 inch polyester mattress topper to all of their beds, thus polyester, is another manmade product which does not disperse body heat but stores it too, so the combination for some, like me, will cause your body to overheat and not allow you to sleep as you should. Therefore, be aware that on Princess Cruise ships you will have no alternative other than to suffer excessive body heat retention if memory foam is not suitable for you. They have no alternative to offer you and, as was my case I had to turn the matters over and sleep on the underside of the mattress, which is extremely hard, as it´s the base and not a sleeping surface. So on my 14 night Christmas and New Year’s cruise, I didn’t sleep well and throughout the cruise was constantly tired and irritable. This ruined my cruise and the crew could offer me no solution or remedy as they say, we are not able to help you with your problem, as most people love our new beds. After a ruined cruise for me, Princess will not offer me any compensation for not providing me with a mattress that I could sleep on. They say, that their new mattresses have glowing reviews from their passengers and I am the only person to ever complain about heat of these memory foam mattresses. So, as said, after 20 plus years of sailing with Princess, I am no longer able to cruise with them. Nor would they entertain any refund for the cruise, although they admit they know I never slept well and could not rest fully at night but, that´s your medical problem and not our fault. So whilst we sympathize with you, we feel we have filled our obligation to you in providing you with an luxury bed. Any suggestions of how to seek redress or indeed obtain satisfaction to my complaint of bed being too hot or, if you found these new beds too hot and they affected you, I´d love to hear your experiences. Princess offered me a luxury hamper, by way of an apology but said, that was it and, they were only doing this as they knew I couldn´t now travel with Princess as all of their ship will be changing over to these memory foam mattresses, this was their parting gift to me. Having taken over 85 cruises in the last 20 years, I am now limited to the companies that can I am able to use to cruise with.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lissie said:

First paragraphs help. 

Second - what do  you expect them to do - provide a different mattress in your room compared to the other 1000 odd cabins? 

I agree Lissie, I had the best sleep on the Golden Princess which has the latest mattresses in its cabins. I wonder why the OP thinks the mattresses are memory foam? I could find no mention of it in the blurb on the website. I found the beds so comfortable, but I guess what I found comfortable, others won't.

Leigh

• Like 1

We love the new Princess beds. From the Princess website, it appears that the mattresses are constructed with coil springs, topped with a layer of high density foam.

Scientifically Designed,
Beautifully Styled

The Princess Luxury Bed was created in conjunction with Dr. Michael Breus—who served as the official sleep expert of WebMD and appears regularly on the Dr. Oz Show—to create a mattress utilizing the latest in sleep science research and technology for the ultimate night of sleep on board.

1) 3 Ply Circular Knit fabric; 2 1-inch quilt foam; 3 1.75 inch high density upholstery foam; 4 full foam encasing; 5 individually wrapped coils; 6 high density base foam

Investing in the Sleep Experience

Developed exclusively for Princess by the manufacturer of some of the most comfortable hotel beds in the world, our luxurious new beds will envelop guests in opulent style and pure, blissful comfort.

We've invested in ultra-premium features including a plush two-inch thick pillow top, a nine-inch single sided medium firm mattress for enhanced support, individually wrapped coils for less partner disturbance, a European-inspired duvet and 100% luxurious Jacquard-woven cotton linens.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

What I have found is that the Princess air con in the cabins doesn't seem as effective these days as on our first couple of cruises in 2014/15. I've checked it with a thermometer when the air con has been set on the lowest temperature setting and it rarely drops below 22C - which I consider should be the mid-setting temp not the lowest.

Plus in some cabins the air con outlet is at the foot of the bed where, due to very low air flow, it drops down to the floor and out the door vents. The room temperature at the head of the bed can be 2-3 degrees warmer which translates to too hot for me. I now take a good fan and put it in position where it blows across the air con flow pushing cool air further up the bed. It works very well.

Also those doonas are too thick for me and the beds are often made with it folded over at the top giving a double thickness just where I don't need it. On Sea Princess last year I would pull the duvet half out of the coverings each night so the upper half of my body only had the double thickness of the covers but the lower half had the added warmth. That worked well. Mind you that only worked because we had the beds in twin mode in an inside cabin so could tuck the excess doona down the end of the bed. It wouldn't be a good idea on the bigger ships with the bed in queen mode and where someone has to walk past the end of the bed to get to the bathroom. Knowing me I'd trip over the doona doing that!

• Like 1