Coronavirus: Is it time for us to pull out of our cruise?

1 minute ago, xcell said:

I'm assuming their passport would have been stamped (haven't traveled to Asia so can't really comment if this true or not) so when checking in at the cruise terminal, I'd assume that they would see that you were in Asia or not.

As an Asian from Canada, I have never seem them riffle through my passport, just look to confirm the picture but of course, this is before all this. I am assuming my upcoming March trip will be much more strict in terms of looking over my documents.

I have two passports since I have two nationalities. They only ask to see one of them. 

Well, then you have a way to cheat the system -- I am assuming most don't?

You’d be surprised how many people have more than one nationality. Especially among the demographic that is still actively traveling through Asia during this particular time. 

1 minute ago, lbjen said:

You’d be surprised how many people have more than one nationality. Especially among the demographic that is still actively traveling through Asia during this particular time. 

Well, it's no different then that health questionnaire they make us fill out before the cruise -- I am assuming many lie on that one.

There are no safe places -- you can catch it in the airport terminal, plane, train, cruise terminal, etc....

Well, it's no different then that health questionnaire they make us fill out before the cruise -- I am assuming many lie on that one.

There are no safe places -- you can catch it in the airport terminal, plane, train, cruise terminal, etc....

Hence why it’s unfair to suddenly restrict the movement of an entire nationality of people, which was my original point. 

To the OP: Admittedly I have not read all the responses here. I have empathy for you. You asked for thoughts, I'll share mine. Feel free to disregard entirely.

- I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks and do not plan to cancel at this time. With that said.........

-If I do cancel, it will likely not be because I am concerned with catching CoV, it will be because I am concerned about a possible quarantine. If you are following the Diamond Princess, you know why.

- I feel it's irrelevant to suggest things like "don't go to the grocery store if you are worried". So far, there is no protocol for quarantining 3,000 people in the local Piggly Wiggly.

- I am no expert, but I have read LOTS of press releases from authorities like CDC and WHO. At this time, this virus can not be treated like the flu because of the unknown. I'm not suggesting it's worse than Influenza A/B, I'm just saying we don't know enough.....yet. That may change next week, so no need to panic today.

- There is protocol for quarantining a ship with Noro, but I don't believe that Noro cruises have ever been quarantined for 14 plus days. The negative ramifications of being away from income/kids/aging parents/ etc.. proportionately increases with number of days in quarantine. 

I have a wait and see mentality at this point. However; I am attempting my best to gather as much information as possible. Unfortunately, it's hard to differentiate between media hype and facts.

My problem wouldn't be fear of contracting the virus.  My wife and son commute to Manhattan 5 days a week. My wife works in a hospital and my son works at a bank. No telling what they are at risk coming in contact with.  My concern would be delayed boarding, delayed departure or arrival, a shortened cruise or a completely different itinerary.  If I was booked for Asia I would cancel the first chance they offered and if it was before final payment I would cancel immediately.

Personally, I'm more concerned about sending my kids to school than going on our cruise next week. They had 110 kids out with the flu in one day when the semester started! 

I agree with others, concerning fears of being quarantined on the ship for 14 days though. But like with anything, I have to weight the odds of that happening. Yes, Diamond Princess got screwed, but that ship is A) sailing in close proximity to where the outbreak is, and B) passengers boarded that sailing before the current protocols were activated. 

If we start seeing ships being quarantined in this part of the world, I will definitely be more alarmed, but for now, I'm not. 

Edited by Tapi

29 minutes ago, freetalkfreelaugh said:

Hopefully a lot of people got the flu vaccine. That should help!

Sorry?  Help, possibly, with the flu.  Absolutely no impact vis a vis corona virus.

I have read that flu clinics are starting to see more people finally show up for their shots.  No idea if the people are under the misapprehension that it does anything with corona virus, or if they're finally understanding that the 'common' flu can be dangerous.

That said, I finally was able to get my shingrix vaccine protocol completed.  Took about a year before the vaccine was more readily available.  Again, lay people sounded so surprised that vaccines often do not appear in huge quantities by magic, LOL.

22 minutes ago, lbjen said:

I have two passports since I have two nationalities. They only ask to see one of them. 

Question - do the databases 'they' can consult show that a given person has more than one passport?  If so, I bet they start asking to see all passports held by an individual.  If not, I would hope databases are enhanced to indicate everything an individual holds.

1 minute ago, greykitty said:

Question - do the databases 'they' can consult show that a given person has more than one passport?  If so, I bet they start asking to see all passports held by an individual.  If not, I would hope databases are enhanced to indicate everything an individual holds.

I have no idea. I do not have to give the details of either passport when renewing the other one. But it’s not uncommon for people with dual nationality that have to travel to certain middle eastern countries to use their non-American passport to do so. 

7 minutes ago, greykitty said:

If not, I would hope databases are enhanced to indicate everything an individual holds.

I hope not; that’s just too much government ‘sharing’ in my view.

Edited by d9704011
Spelling error.

Just now, lbjen said:

I have no idea. I do not have to give the details of either passport when renewing the other one. But it’s not uncommon for people with dual nationality that have to travel to certain middle eastern countries to use their non-American passport to do so. 

Thank you.  I've often read that.  Just thinking now that people might use that 'loophole' to avoid being quarantined, etc., and that it might be time for that loophole to be closed - to avoid possibly hazardous medical situations, even if the dual passport deal has its political advantages.  I think I may be missing something - one country of nationality is not aware that the individual also holds a passport of another nationality?  That just seems weird to me somehow in these days.  But thanks again!

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I hope not; that’s just too much government ‘sharing’ in my view.

Ordinarily I would agree, but, not sure I'd be all that thrilled if people used a loophole to avoid cooperating with medical authorities - of any country.  Interesting question, to be sure.

1 minute ago, greykitty said:

Thank you.  I've often read that.  Just thinking now that people might use that 'loophole' to avoid being quarantined, etc., and that it might be time for that loophole to be closed - to avoid possibly hazardous medical situations, even if the dual passport deal has its political advantages.  I think I may be missing something - one country of nationality is not aware that the individual also holds a passport of another nationality?  That just seems weird to me somehow in these days.  But thanks again!

I think it may depend on how you acquired your second nationality. One of my kids has both from birth. The other one gained her second one automatically when we gained ours, but there’s no record of her gaining it, just of us gaining ours (through naturalization). It’s complicated. Some countries give citizenship on the basis of being born there, some don’t, which complicates it further. 

39 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Ordinarily I would agree, but, not sure I'd be all that thrilled if people used a loophole to avoid cooperating with medical authorities - of any country.  Interesting question, to be sure.

I don’t see it as a loophole; to me, it’s the way things have worked.  The number of people with a mix of passports they could use to ‘avoid’ this kind of screening is likely small compared to the number of people who will have their personal information shared amongst different governments for just about any reason for all time.  A situation just over-ripe for abuse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lbjen said:

Hence why it’s unfair to suddenly restrict the movement of an entire nationality of people, which was my original point. 

That has already happened and it had nothing to do with the coronavirus.

Holland America's Westerdam is having trouble finding a place to dock.  Japan has said no non-Japanese will be allowed to disembark at any Japanese ports.  Guam and Philippines have also denied the ship being allowed to dock.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:15 AM, CanonGraceCruiser said:

Sigh. So we are leaving on the Symphony next weekend, out of Florida. Part of me thinks: warm air, out of the NY area (thanks Anthem!) and no Chinese nationals etc so it's probably ok. 

Another part of me thinks, even if no coronavirus situation, someone might get the flu and get us all quarantined.

And then there is the small voice that says to tell them we were in contact with Chinese nationals (not true but maybe true--have been all over NY). If we can cancel, I can use the credit for later this year to cruise again. We have a place to go in Miami--and we have a cruise with our family at the end of the year.

My biggest fear is not getting the virus: my biggest fear is getting stuck on board. Between now and Feb 22, just wondering how much will change.

Thoughts?

I'm with you - my biggest fear is being quarantined to the inside stateroom I've booked (and is the air not circulated around the entire ship anyway???) But I won't be cancelling nor do I think you should! Cruise ships spread all kinds of viruses, this is nothing new. Just like airplanes. Just a risk of travel. It seems they are going to be keeping the ships extra clean due to the current fear of coronavirus so that is actually a plus!! There is a very low chance of quarantine, just like all of the other perils that could happen while travelling. Just enjoy your well-deserved vacation!

11 minutes ago, agibeault said:

I'm with you - my biggest fear is being quarantined to the inside stateroom I've booked (and is the air not circulated around the entire ship anyway???) But I won't be cancelling nor do I think you should! Cruise ships spread all kinds of viruses, this is nothing new. Just like airplanes. Just a risk of travel. It seems they are going to be keeping the ships extra clean due to the current fear of coronavirus so that is actually a plus!! There is a very low chance of quarantine, just like all of the other perils that could happen while travelling. Just enjoy your well-deserved vacation!

That's not how you catch it

I also think the ships will be on high alert and therefore extra cleaning as they do not want to loose another ship to quarantine. They will very diligent on who gets on the ship. Both crew and passengers will be very careful to wash hands and disinfect.
So I feel safe enough to travel to the Caribbean. My only fear is that they close some ports like St.Lucia did