Viking Coronavirus Update

Squawkman

15 minutes ago, tsakishuman said:

Any idea what happens if, God forbid, somebody has a temperature pre-boarding? I understand they will not be allowed to board but do they just get left at the dock and have to figure out how to get home?

No idea but somewhere on some thread or in the news, it was stated that whichever cruise line it was about would refund their fare....

18 hours ago, tsakishuman said:
On 3/6/2020 at 9:01 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Any idea what happens if, God forbid, somebody has a temperature pre-boarding? I understand they will not be allowed to board but do they just get left at the dock and have to figure out how to get home?

My understanding was that the temperature of 100.4° F (38° C) cutoff was in conjunction with a history of travel to or through . . . , or of one of the other things we are now all familiar with.  If the history is “My plane landed an hour ago, I ran for a taxi, loaded my own luggage and then had to dash to the gangway at this end.”, and the passenger presents with a temp of 100.6, but hot, disheveled, and with a sweaty brow, the medical officer will likely look at that individual differently than if his skin is dry and hot, his eyes are glazed and he was in Italy ten days ago!

Just postulating from a statement on the Paul Gauguin website.  No telling if it’s going to be universal practice.

Edited by Candlesmith
“to or through, or” unclear

Sad part by relying on a temperature is that there are many people like myself that runs a low temperature.  I am consistently 96.8.  I would actually be running a temp at 98.6 and could easily sneak by the authorities.  For the record, I don't have another booked cruise at this time.

13 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

Sad part by relying on a temperature is that there are many people like myself that runs a low temperature.  I am consistently 96.8.  I would actually be running a temp at 98.6 and could easily sneak by the authorities.  For the record, I don't have another booked cruise at this time.

I always run at 96.8 too.  I read somewhere that modern humans seem to be evolving to have a lower average temperature--who knows if that is true! 

Doesn't the virus spike a high fever usually though?  I have read of people having 104 degree fevers.  I think 100.4 is conservative, and if you have no other symptoms and are under that you should be fine even if you usually run a little cooler than 98.6.

32 minutes ago, bottomfeeder said:

Doesn't the virus spike a high fever usually though?  I have read of people having 104 degree fevers.  I think 100.4 is conservative, and if you have no other symptoms and are under that you should be fine even if you usually run a little cooler than 98.6.

The truth of the matter is that the taking of a single temperature, once, at an isolated point in time, is of no help at all in indicating whether an individual is incubating the virus or is likely to come down with it during an upcoming cruise, especially one of two or more weeks duration!

This is a “comfort measure” in that it gives comfort to everyone who thinks it’s making them safer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Candlesmith said:

The truth of the matter is that the taking of a single temperature, once, at an isolated point in time, is of no help at all in indicating whether an individual is incubating the virus or is likely to come down with it during an upcoming cruise, especially one of two or more weeks duration!

This is a “comfort measure” in that it gives comfort to everyone who thinks it’s making them safer.

Well it would also screen out some people who are actively ill at the time the temperature is taken (though one would hope they would have stayed home in that case anyway.)  I agree it won't find everyone who may be carrying the virus. 

I also honestly think we are all (i.e. everyone in the world) going to get it eventually anyway and there is no way to completely protect yourself from it unless I suppose you have been a doomsday prepper and have a bunker filled with food and water and are able to hole up there for an extended period of time--and do so before you catch the virus from someone.  🙂

I don't think my chances of catching it on the ship are worse than my chances of catching it during my normal life.  Now the flight I took to get to the cruise (I'm on the Sky now) was a different matter entirely...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DrJJ said:

The offer appears to have dropped off the US Viking site as well.

The offer from March 2 is still listed when you are logged in to  My Viking Journey under the News tab. That does seem to be the only place I can find it after a quick search.

11 minutes ago, Islandbc said:

At the bottom of the home page for "ocean" and "river" cruises, there is a navy blue box with the heading:

"Risk free cancellation...call for details"

Ah, you are a better detective than I am. Oddly, it doesn't show on just the generic Viking homepage, but I guess most people are searching either for Viking Ocean or Viking River.

This is such a very difficult time in so many ways. We currently have three Viking bookings, a River cruise scheduled for April 11 from Paris, an ocean cruise for late October from Athens, and one for fall of 2021. We have to decide whether to cancel the one for next month, and also whether to pay the balance due on the October cruise which is due the end of April. We are usually confident travelers, not too worried by strikes or terrorist attacks or even ordinary illnesses. This, however, seems like a more complex issue. I have personal concerns, of course, but there are greater concerns for the cruise lines, the travel industry, and the countries involved.

Yikes, Cruise Critic used to be the place I came to get away from all the troubles of the world! I do think this will all be resolved eventually, but the worst case scenarios can be pretty alarming.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Candlesmith said:

By taking temperatures, it is a risk factor, not only for COVID-19 but other medical issues. Viking have been taking temperatures on the Viking Sun for weeks now and stopped a group of local performers from boarding, as one of them had a temperature.

Did he have COVID-19 probably not, but he may have had another virus/medical issue we don't need on board. On board this ship we are all healthy, but have been refused entry into ports.

Viking have since made an Executive decision in an attempt to keep this ship healthy. No additional passengers can board until we reach London. Unfortunate for those who planned to join us in Bali or India, but they felt this was necessary based on our experiences these past few days.

Even new crew are being quarantined for 2 weeks prior to boarding and for an additional week after boarding. Viking are serious about keeping these ships healthy and it is more than checking your temperature at the gangway.

Can't speak for the other ships, but this is what is taking place on Viking Sun.

On the evening news tonight, it was announced that the State Dept issued a statement regarding Cruise Ship passengers:

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.  In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures.  While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

I will check with Viking but do others think this applies to river cruises as well?

1 hour ago, charmed1959 said:

Given the quarantined river cruise in Luxor, Egypt, I’d guess yes.

I hadn't seen articles about the quarantined river cruise in Luxor.  After reading one article, it looks very unlikely that we will be able to do this April trip in Germany.  I was so ever hopeful that we might still be able to go.  At least we are fortunate that the cruises are with Viking and the cancellation policy is very generous.

We’re onboard Orion now.  Viking is trying very hard to maintain a clean, safe environment.  There are hand washing stations at every food venue, monitored by an employee.  Today I saw a man in the World Cafe trying to slip past, saying he just washed.  The employee apologized but insisted he wash his hands again.  He did but wasn’t happy.  Yesterday I observed a man at the Pool Grill ‘pretending’ to wash, seriously?!

If you are going to go through the trouble of “pretending” to wash, why not just do it properly? I’m glad the crew are enforcing this. Why go to the trouble of taking everyone’s temps if morons are going to spread their grubby germy hands around? Maybe they should have passengers sign a hand washing contract with a noncompliance penalty of keel-hauling. 😜

• Like 1