Can guess the answer but.....question about upgrading handicapped cabin

Petoonya

I have a disability and have an inside handicapped cabin on Bliss.

If I bid on a balcony and by some strange chance it's accepted, I will get any balcony NCL has available, correct? Most likely around 99% chance not handicapped?

Did I guess right?

And if so I'll be content with what I have 🙂

Thanks so much.

If you are booked in an accessible cabin, NCL will not upgrade you into a non-accessible cabin.  That said, the chances of winning your upgrade are very slim due to limited availability of accessible cabins.  Also, even though you are in an accessible cabin,  you do not get "preferential" treatment.  For example, if you are in an accessible oceanview and bid $100 pp to win a balcony and there is another person in a NON-accessible oceanview who bids $200 pp to win a balcony - and the only balcony available is an accessible one - you do not win the bid.  In bidding, money talks, not need.

Better to just book the balcony outright if it is available now (if a balcony is important to you.)

They most certainly will upgrade you into a non accessible cabin thru the bidding process.

So if you require the handicap cabin due to having a wheelchair, do not bid.    You can watch for price drops, call and then pay the difference between you cabin and the one you'd like to go to if there is a handicap cabin open in that category.

NCL has only one type of handicap cabin and it fits wheelchairs.  Other lines offer cabins with different levels of accessibility. 

So yes, we book them and often bid out of them.   We just did on the NCL Joy.  Went from a handicap balcony to a non- handicap haven cabin.

3 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

If you are booked in an accessible cabin, NCL will not upgrade you into a non-accessible cabin.  That said, the chances of winning your upgrade are very slim due to limited availability of accessible cabins.  Also, even though you are in an accessible cabin,  you do not get "preferential" treatment.  For example, if you are in an accessible oceanview and bid $100 pp to win a balcony and there is another person in a NON-accessible oceanview who bids $200 pp to win a balcony - and the only balcony available is an accessible one - you do not win the bid.  In bidding, money talks, not need.

Better to just book the balcony outright if it is available now (if a balcony is important to you.)

Thanks so much. The balcony isn't as important as the accessible. I guess I'll keep with what I have. I had a devil of a time waiting for and snagging an accessible inside, so don't want the chance of losing it. Which the next post seems to suggest could happen. I guess I'm confused now- as the advice you is different from the next post.  Sure appreciate your help.

But ???

Thanks enormously for your reply.

54 minutes ago, MaryZ said:

They most certainly will upgrade you into a non accessible cabin thru the bidding process.

So if you require the handicap cabin due to having a wheelchair, do not bid.    You can watch for price drops, call and then pay the difference between you cabin and the one you'd like to go to if there is a handicap cabin open in that category.

NCL has only one type of handicap cabin and it fits wheelchairs.  Other lines offer cabins with different levels of accessibility. 

So yes, we book them and often bid out of them.   We just did on the NCL Joy.  Went from a handicap balcony to a non- handicap haven cabin.

Exactly what I expected 😞 A little confused as the previous post suggests otherwise. Know whichever way it turns out, 99% I won't get an accessible cabin anyway so no sense even trying. You've been through it and your advice is gold. Hope the Haven cabin worked out ok for yor needs.

The accessible is essential so I won't consider bidding.

Thanks muchly 😀

12 hours ago, MaryZ said:

First, as a disabled person, it's unfortunate that if you do not truly need an accessible cabin (since you've stated above you have cruised successfully in a NON-accessible cabin) that you even book them at all.  There are only a limited number of accessible cabins and many people with TRUE NEED.  I know there are people like you who do this all the time without thought of others, and my post won't change who you are, but I had to say it.

Next, NCL has assured me in the past that it was "safe" for me to bid for an upgrade because they would never upgrade me into a non-accessible cabin because of the notations on my booking about my disability.  So perhaps, again, you were able to be upgraded because your booking did not document an actual disability or need.  (e.g. I have heard of people booking accessible cabins because "we are older and it's easier for us" or "we are big people and we need the room" - not that they are actually in a wheelchair or can't walk, etc.)  Other lines, as you said, have cabin classes ("accessible-lite") for folks like those.  NCL does not.

Edited by pcakes122
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

First, as a disabled person, it's unfortunate that if you do not truly need an accessible cabin (since you've stated above you have cruised successfully in a NON-accessible cabin) that you even book them at all.  There are only a limited number of accessible cabins and many people with TRUE NEED.  I know there are people like you who do this all the time without thought of others, and my post won't change who you are, but I had to say it.

Next, NCL has assured me in the past that it was "safe" for me to bid for an upgrade because they would never upgrade me into a non-accessible cabin because of the notations on my booking about my disability.  So perhaps, again, you were able to be upgraded because your booking did not document an actual disability or need.  (e.g. I have heard of people booking accessible cabins because "we are older and it's easier for us" or "we are big people and we need the room" - not that they are actually in a wheelchair or can't walk, etc.)  Other lines, as you said, have cabin classes ("accessible-lite") for folks like those.  NCL does not.

Since you have no knowledge about my medical history, as a disabled person I find your attitude reprehensible.

Should NCL do as other ships do and build ships with all forms of accessible cabins, I would book one.  But since they have chosen to not do so,  what I book is what they offer. 

And to be clear, it is against the law for NCL to ask me to document my disabilities.  

I do and will continue to book cabins that accommodate my disability.  Regardless of whether you believe a disability only includes people in wheelchairs.  I feel for your ignorance.  It must be terrible to live with that condition.

The person who initially asked a question about would she receive a plusgrade bid upsell from a handicap cabin to another handicap cabin deserved a truthful answer. 
So I answered her.   Unless you are prepared to go into a non -handicap cabin, then you cannot bid.  Regardless of what documentation is on your reservation. 
If you happen to get an upgrade advantage email, you need to ignore it.  Plusgrade does not have that information in their algorithm and you will be left without a handicap cabin. 
So whoever told you that at NCL has absolutely no idea how Plusgrade works. 
So perhaps, even with you superior attitude about "who I am and you won't change a person like me",  my advice will help you also.
Or you can ignore it and when you win your bid and discover you are not in a handicap cabin, I hope it all works out well for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaryZ said:

Since you have no knowledge about my medical history, as a disabled person I find your attitude reprehensible.

Should NCL do as other ships do and build ships with all forms of accessible cabins, I would book one.  But since they have chosen to not do so,  what I book is what they offer. 

And to be clear, it is against the law for NCL to ask me to document my disabilities.  

I do and will continue to book cabins that accommodate my disability.  Regardless of whether you believe a disability only includes people in wheelchairs.  I feel for your ignorance.  It must be terrible to live with that condition.

The person who initially asked a question about would she receive a plusgrade bid upsell from a handicap cabin to another handicap cabin deserved a truthful answer. 
So I answered her.   Unless you are prepared to go into a non -handicap cabin, then you cannot bid.  Regardless of what documentation is on your reservation. 
If you happen to get an upgrade advantage email, you need to ignore it.  Plusgrade does not have that information in their algorithm and you will be left without a handicap cabin. 
So whoever told you that at NCL has absolutely no idea how Plusgrade works. 
So perhaps, even with you superior attitude about "who I am and you won't change a person like me",  my advice will help you also.
Or you can ignore it and when you win your bid and discover you are not in a handicap cabin, I hope it all works out well for you.

Sing it sister!

6 minutes ago, MaryZ said:

You're right, NCL doesn't require you to document your disabilities (clearly you leverage this as your "loophole" for booking accessible cabins. )  However, those in true need willingly share information about their disabilities and needs with NCL because we actually have special needs for which we need to engage the Access Department.

I once saw a mom and dad in a hallway with a disabled tween girl in a wheelchair.  The dad was holding the girl literally in his arms like a baby while the mom struggled to fold her wheelchair to get it through a standard cabin door.  As I paused to let them get in their room I said oh no - you do know that the ship has accessible cabins!  They told me that this was a family reunion trip and that all accessible cabins had been sold out, but they didn't want their daughter to miss the experience.  If I could have given them my cabin,  I would have.

I hope this wasn't a cruise you were on.

21 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I have a disability and have an inside handicapped cabin on Bliss.

If I bid on a balcony and by some strange chance it's accepted, I will get any balcony NCL has available, correct? Most likely around 99% chance not handicapped?

Did I guess right?

And if so I'll be content with what I have 🙂

Thanks so much.

OMG

Jan 30th you asked a question about the chances of winning a bid and going to a noisy cabin and now you are wondering about winning a bid and losing your handicap access cabin.......  which is it?? People are taking the time to honestly try to help you make informed decisions yet you are absolutely acting like a troll for those who are paying attention to your threads and drama. 

Asking for someone who's been one of those people........ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, esm54687 said:

OMG

Jan 30th you asked a question about the chances of winning a bid and going to a noisy cabin and now you are wondering about winning a bid and losing your handicap access cabin.......  which is it?? People are taking the time to honestly try to help you make informed decisions yet you are absolutely acting like a troll for those who are paying attention to your threads and drama. 

Asking for someone who's been one of those people........ 

Very sorry to offend you. I should have asked both questions at the same time, and am grateful for the kind replies I received.

I'll call NCL the next time I have a question and keep my drama to myself.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Petoonya said:

Very sorry to offend you. I should have asked both questions at the same time, and am grateful for the kind replies I received.

I'll call NCL the next time I have a question and keep my drama to myself.

Thank you.

Again with the dramatic response and playing the victim......  

It's not a matter of asking both questions at the same time......  but my goodness..... NEEDING a handicap access cabin should trump any noise level concern. You could get a cabin surrounded by the library but if it didn't meet your accessibility issues what good is it??

By the way, the other posts have included getting away from your DS' vial FIL and you / husband not wanting to be held responsible to assist him in any way because he recently had a stroke and travelling AMA....... so, I am also suspect as to your DS / DIL, who are both doctors, would want his mother / father to be available to help in an emergency who herself / husband require a handicap access cabin.

I'm sorry if you feel attacked or not able to post a question here...... but as someone who has taken the time to read all posts and then offer advice..... I feel I have a right to ask since it is related to CC and the forums. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I'm sorry if you feel attacked or not able to post a question here...... but as someone who has taken the time to read all posts and then offer advice..... I feel I have a right to ask since it is related to CC and the forums. 

Again sorry to offend. The accessible cabin is not for the FIL as there was no balcony accessible for them when they booked I was told.

The accessible cabin is for me and my husband who has a neurological disorder. Is this too much drama for you?

If your tolerance level for my questions is at an end you might compensate by putting me on ignore.

Problem solved.

Best wishes.

Edited by Petoonya

This handicap accessible cabin - - - usually a mobility impaired situation - - -

Is this because of the need of a Wheelchair - a W-I-D-E-R cabin door required for entry/exit ?

A Scooter is not so much a problem and the need of a handicap cabin not a real need.

Both the Wheelchair and Scooter will require and take up space within the cabin.

Wheelchairs and Scooters are not stored outside one's cabin door - safety egress compliance.

The handicap cabins generally have a bath/shower vanity compartment different from normal.

The best cabins if not able to get a handicap one is the side (width) ways inside cabin having

better space utilization. Limited balcony handicap cabins - book early !

Location of the handicap cabins is generally near elevator foyers for ease in entry/exit.

If you are in a handicap cabin and don't need it - NCL can remove you from that cabin if you

do not meet the necessary requirements - this to accommodate one who does. The bump may

result in a cabin upgrade for the ineligible guest.

Have a definite need for such a cabin - work out the details and booking with NCL as far in

advance as possible for the least problems and best resolution perhaps an unexpected upgrade. 

• Like 1