Edge Upgrade

travellovers2

I put another bid for concierge class. So now we have 2 bids. It's not the end of the world if we don't get it. It will be our first experience in an inside cabin and lucky for me, that I have claustrophobia, it's only 7 days.  🙂  I did try the promenade view cabin on our second time on the Oasis and loved it. 

I have to say that the negative reviews about the Edge did not impact our decision to try it. For us this is our 1 out of 5  weeks a year that we travel and we just want to relax, no plane or trains to deal with. We have sailed the Caribbean many times and most likely will not get off at any of the ports, but we're away from work for one week!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

There are many posters who indicated that they often times have been put off by the negative comments about The Edge and almost did not book. Not until a few of us assuaged their thoughts that many who post, which becomes evident, have never sailed on the ship, have always been negative on The Edge - hands down and never an issue, until it becomes boring to read again and not pointed to the question the OP may have asked.

I am one of those. I had originally had the Edge booked for Feb break of last year but cancelled it. I cannot remember if I had it booked for this year and cancelled and then rebooked, but I know I did a lot of pondering based on the (sorry, I have to) "loud and shouty" ones on here who have nothing good to say about the Edge. I was beginning to lean towards booking thanks to posters like @Bo1953, @Jim_Iain's live blog of his B2B cruises, and many posts by the late, great @VT Cruiser and finally had a chat with the owner of the travel agency I use and she encouraged me to give it a try. I'm excited to tra a new-to-me cruiseline, and knowing I have no other X experience, I feel like I can truly go in with fresh eyes and not be comparing it to an M-class or an S-class ship. I'm embarking in 4 days and cannot wait!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 6:55 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I would think you might be successful but why not put a little on top like $10 or 20 more to beat out anyone else who bids the minimum.   You might look at one of the sites that show all the open cabins and see how many IV's are open to gauge your chance of winning.

When I have won I was notified about 2 week prior to sailing if I won but exactly 48 hours before sailing if rejected

I checked several times to see what IV cabins were open and most of the time it showed 7212 and sometimes another one on deck 8. It did this even the day we got the upgrade. This upgrade bidding is very stressful for me. We like to choose where our cabin is going to be, so this does not work for us. We would not be happy towards the front of the ship due to my DH getting motion sickness. We always book midship or aft. I guess from now on we will stick to booking balconies and forget about the inside cabin experience. BTW the cabin number was updated in our celebrity pass, but not on the luggage tag. I called and spoke with Barbara who was very helpful. She put me on hold and called the documentation department and right away the luggage tag was updated and I was able to print and create our new tags.

Looking forward to our cruise in one day. Driving to Miami today. I just love not having to deal with planes before our cruise. We already have two planes booked for spring and fall this year. Not to get on a cruise, but to visit northern Italy and Switzerland. 

Happy Travels! 

989889.jpg

Edited by travellovers2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up. We loved the IV cabin and the decor. It's hot during the day when you get close to the glass, but we rarely did. The ship was nice, but the videos promoting it make it look better. The dark entrance to Eden is wasted space. The cruise director is great. The idea of the 4 dining rooms was nice, but you are not allowed to book more than 24 hrs in advance. That was a pain. Cyprus was our favorite. 

Embarkation was a breeze, but we were questioned by a guy with glasses who asked if we had been to China in the past 15 days and if we had any flu like symptoms, to which we said no. Then he was going to take our photo, but he had to cough into his arm and you could hear a lot of mucus moving. We then asked him if he had been to China in the past 15 days and did he have any flu like symptoms. Definitely not what you need before getting on a ship. They may want to ask him to stay home until he feels better.

Just an FYI - our move up offer was accepted on Thursday, we cruised on Sunday. My husband's suitcase was missing. I took mine when I saw it piled up down the hallway, but his was not there. At about 5:30pm or so, we were looking around the hallway and a guy came by with a walkie talkie, so we told him what was going on. He then told us that they had been trying to find out what to do with a red suitcase that they had left "all the way on the other side". The luggage tag had the cabin # and the name but it did not match the name that was on their paper list that was assigned to that cabin#. Do you think that maybe they could have looked on the computer system? BTW our suitcase was blue. I say was because when we finally got it, for some unknown reason the TAS lock was messed up and it would not open. The side of the lock was smashed. Nobody knows why. So we had to call maintenance who came to our cabin and broke the lock open because they don't have the key to open TSA locks. So it's now in the trash and we plan to get a new one. But be aware that they work off paper lists so this could happen to you.

Overall our cruise was great. We relaxed a lot and enjoyed the unlimited drinks in the Elite lounge.  We only got off in Grand Cayman, we've had enough of Key West and Cozumel. The stop at Costa Maya was canceled which was really the only one where we wanted to get off since we have only been there once and it was not much of a port then.

We are looking forward to our next cruise, not on the Edge, I think this will be a been there done that for us. 

Happy Travels! 

• Like 1