Future Diamond Princess Cruises Cancelled?

dearinger

I tried to login to my cruise personalizer for my cruise on the Diamond for May 10th, and it says that it has been cancelled. I checked my Roll Call and didn't see anyone else mention it (its also early still). My cruise was paid for already, but I haven't seen or heard anything from Princess about future cancellations. The cruise is still listed on their reservation page, but maybe that doesn't mean anything?

Has anyone heard that other cruises going into May are cancelled?

This is what is posted on Princess’s website

Diamond Princess Cancellations

M005  12-Feb-20  
M005B  14-Feb-20  
M006  20-Feb-20  
M006D  20-Feb-20  
M006B  22-Feb-20  
M006C  25-Feb-20  
M007  28-Feb-20  
M007B  1-Mar-20  
M007C  4-Mar-20  
M008  7-Mar-20  
M008B  9-Mar-20  
M008C  12-Mar-20 

• Like 1

I called Princess and it was just us. They cancelled our booking and couldn't give me any explanation as to why. Everything was already paid for (air & cruise) and they had a rough time trying to get everything back. I double checked to see if it was due to other cancellations but she said no and had no idea why it was cancelled.

They were very apologetic and gave me a bunch of OBC to make up for it.. 

Thanks for weighing in guys, as always appreciate it. 

• Like 4

I feel bad for some of the people on this board who had to make a decision early on if they should cancel a cruise that included "parts of Asia that is questionable or difficult to get to due to recent policies by airlines and governments". I have read accounts of individuals who lost money when they decided to cancel as they felt unsafe and if they waited, the cancellation fees would have been much worse. Then, Princess turns around and cancels sailings. I would hope that Princess would give them their money back but I guess that is doubtful. For North Americans to travel to Asia, it is an expensive trip and sometimes a once in a lifetime trip. People risked several thousands if they waited for Princess to decide. 

15 hours ago, Coral said:

I feel bad for some of the people on this board who had to make a decision early on if they should cancel a cruise that included "parts of Asia that is questionable or difficult to get to due to recent policies by airlines and governments". I have read accounts of individuals who lost money when they decided to cancel as they felt unsafe and if they waited, the cancellation fees would have been much worse. Then, Princess turns around and cancels sailings. I would hope that Princess would give them their money back but I guess that is doubtful. For North Americans to travel to Asia, it is an expensive trip and sometimes a once in a lifetime trip. People risked several thousands if they waited for Princess to decide. 

Princess has said they will refund 100% of money paid to Princess and also issue a future cruise credit for at least 50% of what was the cruise fare (the % is based on how far out the cancelled cruise was). They will consider other costs such as independent air fares on a case-by-case basis.

Those who cancel themselves and then later Princess cancels will not get any of the benefits of the Princess cancellation compensation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Those who cancel themselves and then later Princess cancels will not get any of the benefits of the Princess cancellation compensation.

These are the people who I am concerned about. Princess is waiting too long to cancel some of these cruises and some had to make the decision to cancel on their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

These are the people who I am concerned about. Princess is waiting too long to cancel some of these cruises and some had to make the decision to cancel on their own.

I agree. This is not going away anytime soon. It's not even a matter of not wanting to subject yourself to the virus. It's about canceled flights, Not being able to board a ship in the original embarkation port, being banned from calling on ports and possibly not being able to board the ship if you don't pass a physical. All of the cruise lines are in the same situation and it's not pretty.  Royal Caribbean's Anthem had an issue last week in New Jersey with boarding due to 25 Chinese nationals being on the ship. The 8 day Caribbean cruise turned into 4 days to Bermuda because they had to wait for the CDC to clear them. People had the nerve to complain that they were stranded in New Jerseys. They should have read the Diamond Princess thread and counted their blessings.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Coral said:

The decision makers are between a rock and a hard place.

If they cancel too soon and conditions would have allowed a cruise to take place, the passengers will have had their long planned vacation ruined when it did not have to be.

If they wait to cancel until they know there is no way the voyage could take place, the result is the same, vacations ruined.

It was the year of the Arab Spring when we had a Princess cruise that had Egypt on the itinerary., the reason we and many others had booked that cruise.

About a week before final payment time, the itinerary was altered to bypass Egypt due to security concerns. Many people cancelled (with no penalty since not final payment time) because of the altered itinerary. A number of people who liked the new itinerary then booked the cruise.

About a month before embarkation, conditions in Egypt had improved and the original itinerary was reinstated. Too late for those who had booked the new itinerary to cancel without penalty. Fantastic for those who had not cancelled when Egypt had been removed from the itinerary. It turned out to be a great, safe cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

The decision makers are between a rock and a hard place.

If they cancel too soon and conditions would have allowed a cruise to take place, the passengers will have had their long planned vacation ruined when it did not have to be.

It is but I think they need to realize a lot of these individuals are loyal passengers. They should maybe receive a future credit if they did cancel early (and their cruise was ultimately cancelled). 

Even before this happened - I double insured my next trip. Princess so I can cancel for any reason and Allianz for the better medical policy. I spent $$$ on insurance. I can say that if I had a trip in parts of Asia right now, I would cancel until this settles down.

Regarding the Royal Caribbean ship in Bayonne, my understanding is that people were upset because RC did nothing to assist them with hotels while the ship was delayed. There was a couple interviewed who had flown in from the UK and checked out of their hotel to board the ship for embarkation. When ship was delayed, RC did nothing to assist people. They were told to check the internet to find lodging while awaiting the ship to be cleared for departure.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, dearinger said:

I called Princess and it was just us. They cancelled our booking and couldn't give me any explanation as to why. Everything was already paid for (air & cruise) and they had a rough time trying to get everything back. I double checked to see if it was due to other cancellations but she said no and had no idea why it was cancelled.

They were very apologetic and gave me a bunch of OBC to make up for it.. 

Thanks for weighing in guys, as always appreciate it. 

Glad you caught it now and not a few weeks from now when flights etc were possible gone.

Glad they gave you some OBC to make up for the error.