Cancel after final payment

loungelady55

Hi,

Does NCL allow cancellation of a cruise after final payment for family medical situation?  I am asking for a friend who has a cruise booked 3-22--2020 and her brother is critical but does not know or have the frame of mind to ask.

Thank you in advance.

first .. prayers to her brother.

now I will assume they dont have insurance because then its possible and you should read the policy

if no insurance, the answer is no. They will get their port fees and gratuities back and thats about it

Thats why insurance is always recommended

4 minutes ago, loungelady55 said:

Hi,

Does NCL allow cancellation of a cruise after final payment for family medical situation?  I am asking for a friend who has a cruise booked 3-22--2020 and her brother is critical but does not know or have the frame of mind to ask.

Thank you in advance.

Yes. You can cancel at any time.

At 37 days prior to cruise, your friend would would incur a 75% penalty on their cruise fare. Under 30 days, it would be a 100% penalty on their cruse fare. They would be refunded port taxes and fees and any pre-paid expenses. 

Reimbursement of the penalty would be the responsibility of your friend's travel insurance. 

20 minutes ago, loungelady55 said:

Hi,

Thank you in advance.

Did they insure their trip?

I cancelled 3 days before my December cruise.I DID HAVE INSURANCE. It was my grown son that had a brain aneurysm. NCL refunded my taxes, port charges, tips, bottled water almost before i got off the phone. I printed up the insurance form and had it taken care of while he was still in hospital. He had been sent by copter 1 1/2 hour from home so i did it before we left.it is a very quick simple form. I took my print out of our cruise and submitted online. Very quickly i received my check in the mail.

good luck to your friend.

4 minutes ago, loungelady55 said:

No, I do not think she did take out insurance.  This was the first cruise for her

Sounds like she would get 25% of her fare back if she cancels in the next few days.  Plus prepaid fees.  Transportation refunds depend on how those were booked.  NCL airfare might not be refundable but if she had a shuttle booked that should be fully refundable.  She should also check her credit card if she used one.  Some do/did cover travel purchases. 

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

Sounds like she would get 25% of her fare back if she cancels in the next few days.  Plus prepaid fees.  Transportation refunds depend on how those were booked.  NCL airfare might not be refundable but if she had a shuttle booked that should be fully refundable.  She should also check her credit card if she used one.  Some do/did cover travel purchases. 

Yes, definitely have her check with her credit card, assuming she used one.  Quite a few credit cards now have trip cancellation insurance included - especially if it's a credit card with an annual fee.  A lot of the major airline/hotel branded cards do, as well as a number from each of the major card issuers out there (Chase, Citibank, Amex, etc).  Some are more restrictive than others about who is considered "family" for trip cancellation due to medical, but some are quite inclusive.  They also usually cover all "travel companions" which can include anyone who is traveling with you on the same itinerary/reservation.  So even if she didn't purchase separate trip cancellation insurance, she might not be totally out of luck.

Thanks for researching this for her, and prayers for your friend and her brother.