Tipping Tour Guide & Driver

Saildude16

1 hour ago, Saildude16 said:

I now understand tipping of servers, bartenders, etc., is unusual in Aust/NZ.  What about tour guides & drivers - same deal?

You do not need to tip anyone full stop in Australia and New Zealand. Tipping is not part of our culture. But that said some including me may for example at a restaurant round up - if the bill was $47.95 pay $50. I have also done this with taxis. Cafes may have a tip jar on the counter for customers to put in their loose change. 

Enjoy your trip down under.

Leigh

The rule for tipping in Australia and New Zealand is easy: if you wouldn't tip them on the cruise ship (over and above the automatic gratuities), don't tip them off the cruise ship! 

Remember, the last time an adult New Zealander got paid 2.13 USD per hour for their work was in 1984!

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

Please respect our culture, and do not tip.

Things get a bit complicated in New Zealand with Māori culture and the concept of koha (gift or donation). If you're going on a Māori cultural tour and asked to contribute towards koha, then $1 or $2 per person is customary. This money will be pooled together and put in an envelope to be given at the appropriate time.