Strange question about TVs on Anthem.

5 hours ago, dswallow said:

On Anthem you will need a Samsung remote control in order to switch to the HDMI input that you connect to, and of course an HDMI cable. All the TVs also support Miracast, but you'll still need a remote to be able to maneuver on the screens to set that up.

Samsung appears to have a very consistent remote control interface, so a programmable universal remote is generally sufficient, or you can buy one of the many Samsung-specific replacement remotes.

I bought one from an ebay.com seller, specifically advertised as a replacement for model "AA59-00652A". It cost about $8.17 including shipping a couple years ago.

For convenience, I carry around a 15-feet Redmere HDMI ultra-thin cable I had purchased a long time ago; the Redmere brand refers to it using a tiny transceiver chip in the cable connector to boost the signal over extremely small cabling, much thinner than typical. The benefit is having a very lightweight but lengthy cable to use when traveling. Search on amazon.com for "hdmi ultra-thin redmere" and you'll see several options and will see what I mean regarding cabling size. All the TV's are just 1080p capable, so you also don't really need to worry about 4K-compatibility though most can support the slightly higher bitrates needed for basic 4K/60Hz speeds.

We have/brought a universal remote (and of course bring a HDMI cable) that will work with Samsung...just couldn't get anything to work. We've always been able to change the HDMI but now with the newer access code with RCI's internet...nothing we tried worked as of our last cruise in 2019. Would love to hear how anyone has figured this out now.

Edited by Ashland

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks for your info.

But not interested in watching a movie on my phone.....if this is what you mean.

Wondering if a new firestick would make any difference?

I bring an HDMI adapter for my phone so I can watch on the big screen.  

3 hours ago, Speedbird01 said:

Twangster, thank you.

Is that simply a Lightning to HDMI connector?

Correct.  Allows you to connect a charger to keep the phone charged and an HDMI cable for the TV.  

Travel routers are not fool proof and I've noted some ships are finding ways to block them too.  By using my phone it is guaranteed to connect to Voom.  

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

Because...those of us that prefer to watch on a bigger screen :classic_rolleyes:

You're answering the question for the OP?  

I asked if there was a reason because why go to all this trouble considering the screens on the ship aren't that big?   

Edited by BND

I always bring my laptop on cruises as I must work even when away.   I never thought of this but sounds like I can simply hookup hmda cable from laptop to ship tv.  Is it as simple as that?  How do I change the input on the tv?  Sounds like I need to bring a samsung remote but what kind as there are so many options.

Edited by Sunshine3601

42 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I always bring my laptop on cruises as I must work even when away.   I never thought of this but sounds like I can simply hookup hmda cable from laptop to ship tv.  Is it as simple as that?  How do I change the input on the tv?  Sounds like I need to bring a samsung remote but what kind as there are so many options.

Laptops that feature an HDMI port are easy to connect to a TV that has an HDMI input.  The trick on a ship is changing the TV to that input.  That varies across the fleet.  On some ships the cabin remote is a stock remote that has an input button.  On newer or amplified ships it can become more challenging to change inputs even if you bring your own remote.  It can be done but requires more tech effort.  

Edited by twangster

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

We have/brought a universal remote (and of course bring a HDMI cable) that will work with Samsung...just couldn't get anything to work. We've always been able to change the HDMI but now with the newer access code with RCI's internet...nothing we tried worked as of our last cruise in 2019. Would love to hear how anyone has figured this out now.

This remote, along with the Lightning to HDMI connecter that Twangster mentioned worked for us on both mariner and Harmony.

Capture.JPG

On 2/17/2020 at 8:24 PM, Speedbird01 said:

This will sound very strange but I am on the Anthem in April and will be wanting to watch some videos that will be with me in my computer whilst in my stateroom ( nothing dodgy) I need to know what connections are on the rear of the TVs if any,  in the staterooms, USB, HDMI,Scart whatever so that I can see if it’s doable to watch on the TVs our not. (Some hotels have TVs specially made without any external inputs, maybe RCI do the same)

a photo would be best but a description will be more than good. 
thank you. 
Mike 

Strange question or not it helped me learn about how to get around the repeat shows or useless channels. Thanks for asking it. 

3 hours ago, BND said:

I asked if there was a reason because why go to all this trouble considering the screens on the ship aren't that big?

I'm not so spoiled by my 75" TV at home that the 46" TV on the ship is considered small.  My laptop has a 15" screen.  That's small.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not so spoiled by my 75" TV at home that the 46" TV on the ship is considered small.  My laptop has a 15" screen.  That's small.  

75" lol.  The largest we have is 55" and that's in the basement.  We routinely watch at 46" in our family room, but most ship tvs are NOT 46", more like 32" in most cabins.  We've been in a Spa JS and regular JS on Anthem.  My laptop is like 13" and perfectly usable.

Edited by BND

Just now, BND said:

75" lol.  The largest we have is 55" and that's in the basement.  We routinely watch at 46" in our family room, but most ship tvs are NOT 46", more like 32" in most cabins.

Topic is Anthem that has 46" in balcony cabins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Topic is Anthem that has 46" in balcony cabins.

Funny, stayed in JS and Spa JS on Anthem but never measured the tv.  The OP hasn't answered my question.  Everyone is just guessing they want it for movies.

3 hours ago, BND said:

You're answering the question for the OP?  

The TV screens in the suites even the JS are larger than my phone or laptop.

14 minutes ago, BND said:

Funny, stayed in JS and Spa JS on Anthem but never measured the tv.  The OP hasn't answered my question.  Everyone is just guessing they want it for movies.

TV's on Q class may be only 43" based on pictures. 

I think the TV in a JS is the same size as a balcony cabin. Here is a JS on Anthem from this year.  

an_day1cabin-8.jpg

In a JS the TV's don't swing away, they use a small square mount but the HDMI connectors are reachable if you have small hands and don't mind squishing them between the wall and the TV.  It's a bit of a pain but after a couple of tries it can be done.

an_tv-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BND said:

I think we can easily assume the OP is asking about movies (their from the UK and refer to them as videos) they have on their phone...what else can it possibly be ?

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

I think we can easily assume the OP is asking about movies (their from the UK and refer to them as videos) they have on their phone...what else can it possibly be ?

I wasn't aware of a previous question that i had not answered so apologies for that.

OK for clarity, to me a movie is for example Top Gun or Silence of the Lambs.

A video is any type of moving picture, youtube, even a one minute recording of your grandkids from your phone.

I think it was Twangster that sorted me much earlier with the HDMI connector from Lightning.

The one thing that is now surprising to me, is that I started this thread quite some time back and got a few replies, why oh why has this now gone popular and it was April 2020 that we were going on the Anthem, so that didn't happen did it Grrr!

18 hours ago, BND said:

Why do you need to watch them on the tv?  Watch them on your computer, then you don't have to worry about the connection.

Sorry for delay in replying I hadn't realised there was one here to answer.

I tend not to carry my laptop on holiday, sorry, vacation so the TV screen being there, a few cables is always easier especially when carrying luggage.

I guess I could use my iPad but again, a 32" tv screen is still better.

3 hours ago, BND said:

I can't answer for the OP, but we watch our local news feed, CNBC, the Golf Channel, Netflix, and streaming and several other live networks that have apps on our iPads.

5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I can't answer for the OP, but we watch our local news feed, CNBC, the Golf Channel, Netflix, and streaming and several other live networks that have apps on our iPads.

What does OP mean?

And I also watch Netflix, AppleTV+ that I forgot to add.

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

This remote, along with the Lightning to HDMI connecter that Twangster mentioned worked for us on both mariner and Harmony.

Capture.JPG

Great information - Thank you Everyone!    Not that I spend a lot of time watching TV in my cabin but when I do I get so tired of cruise TV especially if we are doing extended cruises and b2b's.     I have connected my laptop to other TV's to do photo shows for family etc but never tried on a cruise ship.   I will definitely do that on my next cruise (whenever that may be - LOL!).

17 minutes ago, Speedbird01 said:

What does OP mean?

And I also watch Netflix, AppleTV+ that I forgot to add.

OP is original post or original poster.

People aren't cruising so they are bored and so they bring up old threads.  😄

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Laptops that feature an HDMI port are easy to connect to a TV that has an HDMI input.  The trick on a ship is changing the TV to that input.  That varies across the fleet.  On some ships the cabin remote is a stock remote that has an input button.  On newer or amplified ships it can become more challenging to change inputs even if you bring your own remote.  It can be done but requires more tech effort.  

So easier to do this from a laptop vs firestick...bringing your own remote and HDMI cable.

How do you do this on the newer/amplified ships your "more tech" comment.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

OP is original post or original poster.

People aren't cruising so they are bored and so they bring up old threads.  😄

Regardless that this is an old thread....it's very helpful as I continue to want more info on this

and how exactly to do it especially on the newer ships.

We had no problem using our firestick on Vision 2019 but then on Adventure 2019 nothing worked.