Flight from Miami

cruisecle

We are looking at taking an AA flight on a Saturday that leaves MIA at 10:25 AM.  Our plans are to walk-off Symphony of the Seas as early as possible.  Will be able to make the flight?  Next available flight is 4 hours later but is over $100 more.

In June of 2018 we docked in Miami but my flight was out of FLL. We ordered an Uber when we got off the ship. It picked us up at 8:48AM  and was $34.50 from POM to FLL. We arrived at FLL at  9:28AM (40 minutes). The ride from POM to MIA should only take 10-15 minutes. If everything goes okay you should make it. Even with my more risk taking approach (I have been known to fly in the day of embarkation) I would take the later flight and consider the 4 hours and $100 peace of mind. Keep in mind they close the boarding gate about 10 minutes prior to the departure time. So you'd have to be at the gate by 10:15am.

Keep in mind time to check bags, get through security, etc. 

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

We had a 10am flight and we made it.  But, we were the first ones to leave the ship and got a taxi instead of Uber to save on time.  Our taxi driver got us to the airport fast and we were able to go through the self check kiosk in about 15 minutes. Half an hour later, the airport was jammed pack full of people. We are also pre checked so the line at the tsa wasn’t bad.  We had enough time to grab breakfast. 

Last month I had a flight at 9:20 A.M.  I know i'm crazy. But it was a good deal.

Empress Of The Seas docked at 6 and I was walking off at 7:20 and at the airport at 7:55. 

Had plenty of time to make my flight. Yes I did cut it close if the ship would have been delayed. 

1 hour ago, tropiclvrs said:

Good info to know.  I'm considering a 9:45am flight from MIA for our family of 4.  Taking a later flight is much more so I'm weighing the risks.  What is the typical time you can get off with self assist?

Typical time isn't much help. We did a B2B out of Miami the middle of October. After the first week walk off started around 7am. The second week, when we got off, it didn't start until about 7:45 and the place was packed with people wanting to get off so they wouldn't miss their flights. That's about the time we wanted to get off, but being is a suite, they walked us to the front of the line and off we went. The traffic wasn't bad and it took us about 30 minutes to get a taxi, plenty available since not many people got off before us, and make it to the airport. Security was a zoo any we didn't have any  priority so it was after 9:30 before we got to the gate. We had an 11am departure so we were ok. 

I think you have to be at the gate about 30 minutes early though. 

About the back up plan, with the planes being so full, what are the chances of getting on the next flight or any other flight, and will you make a connecting flight if you have one?  Is there a ticket change fee?

Getting off the ship and to the airport is not going to be a problem. The issue is that the last few times I have flown out of Miami on a weekend or a day with a lot of ships, the baggage drop and security lines at MIA were about 30-45 each. Their system is terrible.

You can probably do it, but I would be off the ship ASAP. FLL is so much easier. 

Obviously none of you risk takers are married or partnered with someone like my wife.  I was willing to take the risk for an early flight (8:30am) to save over $300 and she insisted we spend the extra to go at 2:00pm+ for peace of mind.  

Side note: I am planning to do an RCI excursion that morning to kill time as well as handle our bags.  Tour of the city kind of thing, IIRC.  Anyone done this in Miami?

On 2/19/2020 at 1:07 PM, Erik101 said:

We had a 10am flight and we made it.  But, we were the first ones to leave the ship and got a taxi instead of Uber to save on time.  Our taxi driver got us to the airport fast and we were able to go through the self check kiosk in about 15 minutes. Half an hour later, the airport was jammed pack full of people. We are also pre checked so the line at the tsa wasn’t bad.  We had enough time to grab breakfast. 

Do you have to wait in line to check in baggage?

Edited by Lorey2007

We always take the early flight home...and we don't even do "self-carry"....  About midway thru the cruise they ask all of those with EARLY flights to let them know...and you'll be put in one of the 1st groups off the ship.  You should be fine.

3 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Do you have to wait in line to check in baggage?

1. The first time, which was the 10am flight, we did not wait.  Our 15 minute wait during checkin included dropping off our bags.  Again, we were one of the first to arrive at the airport before an onslaught of other cruisers arrived after us. 
2.  The 2nd time, I think our flight was at noon, we waited about 45 minutes at the self check kiosk and the lines were long.  Dropping off the bags were fine as that part of the line is fast.  The problem is from the self check kiosk where there are passengers who don’t speak English nor Spanish and are using google translate to figure out the TSA questions.  What takes 3 minutes to complete takes about 20 minutes for others.  It’s just the way it is.  

On 2/19/2020 at 3:13 PM, grandgeezer said:

I think you have to be at the gate about 30 minutes early though. 

Correct.  Most airlines have a policy that if you are not in the gate area 30 minutes ahead, you can lose your seat on the flight. 

The other thing people sometimes don't realize is that there is a cutoff time to check bags.  It depends on the airline and the specific airport, but is typically anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes pre-flight. 

My general list of things that can help a cruiser make an early flight:

1. Willing and able to self-disembark, and lining up well ahead of the announced time in case its busy

2.  Willing to take a waiting cab, instead of waiting on uber, looking for car service driver etc.

3.  Check in via phone for flight and fly carry on only so no need to wait in line for airline check in or bag check

4.  If #3 not possible, having airline status or flying in premium cabin if there are separate check-in lines for either

5.  Having TSA PreCheck and/or Clear to get through security more quickly