MDR- how much time?

Aprilgwynne13

Good morning, I was interested to know how much time it usually takes to have dinner in the main dining room. We have YTD with a group of nine on Carnival Horizon in April. I haven’t been on Carnival in a few years and was hoping you guys could provide some insight. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess it depends on how fast you eat, if you have assigned dining or your time dining, etc. We always do YTD and tell our wait staff we don't want a long drawn out process. We're have absolutely no interest in spending the night in the MDR. We're typically out within 45 minutes, which is an appetizer, entree and dessert for 4 people. I know some people enjoy spending time in there and are there for a couple of hours. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aprilgwynne13 said:

Good morning, I was interested to know how much time it usually takes to have dinner in the main dining room. We have YTD with a group of nine on Carnival Horizon in April. I haven’t been on Carnival in a few years and was hoping you guys could provide some insight. Thanks in advance!

For YTD, assuming you stay for dessert, I would say between an hour to an hour and a half, but that probably varies depending on when you go and how busy the servers are. Set dining times tend to be more efficient at getting you in and out though, in my experience.

Edited by MisterOJ2
  • Like 1

My boyfriend are "get in, get out, let's do as many activities as possible" kind of people. Looking back at my iPhone photos to see pictures I've taken throughout my dinner, I'd say about an hour. It allows us enough time between drinks and each course of our meal. We aren't rushing, but rather "going with the flow". We pretty much know what we want when we look at the menu. Having a larger party, I guarantee some people will need some time to look at the menu, wait to order to have some conversations, so I'm sure you'll be there longer than us. 

Edited by Danca4eva1994

2 hours ago, HeavyMetalDeacon said:

The DW and I , especially when we travel with friends allow at least 1.5 to 2 hours in the MDR. 

never 2 hours, I agree with Techno, never been more than an hour and we do YTD. IMHO YTD is faster and more efficient than fixed dining. Maybe 2 hours in the Steakhouse, but usually 1-1/2 in the Steakhouse.

Our average was a bit over an hour with dessert and going at a relaxed pace.  A couple times we were in more of a hurry and were out in about 45 minutes by skipping dessert.  The longest was 90 minutes when we had dessert, watched the show, and had an extra glass of wine to wrap up.

We normally got to the dining room around 6 before the big rush started, so minimal wait to be seated and get orders taken.  

40 minutes ago, GradUT said:

For a group of 9 with YTD, I would allow at least 90 minutes, but it could easily take longer. 

I totally agree.  With a party that large chances are slim of everyone arriving at the same time,  (won't be seated until everyone is there), being ready to order simultaneously, being ready for dessert at the same time, etc.  I woud say 90 minutes minimum from agreed upon arrival time.

Noticed a change in dining from February  2019 to February 2nd 2020. Supposedly the change happened about a month ago. The servers take the complete order including desert at the very start when you arrive (they didn't wait for your diner mates to get there) . I noticed that this cut down our dining time from 2 hours down to 1 1/2 hours.

If we are dining at a table for two, which happens a lot since I turned Diamond, MDR dinner can average about an hour or so.  If we are seated at a 6, 8, or 10 top with other couples, at least an hour and a half, sometimes 2 hrs.

If the OP is concerned about time, perhaps asking those at the table to preview the night's menu on the hub app might shorten the length of the meal.

2 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I totally agree.  With a party that large chances are slim of everyone arriving at the same time,  (won't be seated until everyone is there), being ready to order simultaneously, being ready for dessert at the same time, etc.  I woud say 90 minutes minimum from agreed upon arrival time.

We are talking about serving time, not people showing up a 1/2 hour late

We are tal

2 hours ago, Love Cruising With My Hon said:

The servers take the complete order including desert at the very start when you arrive

We refused to order dessert. we told him if we are hungry after dinner we would order dessert. He said that's fine and completely understood.  Why would we order food we might not eat, makes no sense. This is similar to day or evening cabin service. If they can they will, you are the customer.

4 hours ago, Love Cruising With My Hon said:

Noticed a change in dining from February  2019 to February 2nd 2020. Supposedly the change happened about a month ago. The servers take the complete order including desert at the very start when you arrive (they didn't wait for your diner mates to get there) . I noticed that this cut down our dining time from 2 hours down to 1 1/2 hours.

Yep. Same thing happened to us in January.  We think it quickened the pace some.  On some prior cruises, the biggest delay ended up being asked your dessert choice.

• Like 1

It really depends on you. Some people love to space out dinner. If you go in there and start with a round of drinks, then an appetizer, then your meal, then more drinks, then a dessert, expect 1-2 hours.

We usually go in and order our stuff at once. I usually skip the dessert too. Never more than 45 min-1 hour

• Like 1

Generally, about one hour and 15 minutes.  Though I have had some cruises where the staff was incredibly on the ball and we were in and out in one hour or less.  And I have also had cruises where we were in there for and hour and a half.  But never more than that.  Though truthfully, we are typical Americans and eat fast.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aprilgwynne13 said:

Last June, we had a group of ten.  It usually took an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and forty five minutes for dinner, depending on how the service was that night.

Edited by Cruiseman38