Embarkation Day Timing and Lunch

hylas102

Hi all, I'm excited for my upcoming sailing on the Regal Princess, but it's my first time on a Princess ship and I'm a little confused about how embarkation works with getting lunch on board.  According to the "progressive cruise check-in schedule" in Cruise Planner, my deck isn't scheduled to check in until 2:30, and it says, "Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready."  I used the chat feature on the website, and the person I chatted with told me there is no early embarkation permitted, and when I asked specifically about lunch, he responded that lunch isn't available.  This sounds a little odd.

So is it possible to arrive and board the ship earlier so that we can get lunch?  From reading this forum it sounds like one of the main dining rooms and the buffet are usually open on embarkation day, but I don't see how any of the people on the later-boarding decks would get to eat.  I understand if my room isn't ready and I need to keep my luggage with me--that's not a problem. Also, 2:30 seems a little too close to sailing time, heaven forbid there are any delays.  I would also note that I'm in a suite, in case that makes a difference.  I'd appreciate hearing from seasoned Princess cruisers about what to do.  Thank you!

Edited by hylas102

The time is only a suggestion, and there are lots of places to have lunch including the dining room (probably only open until 1:30)….you can board usually as early at 11:30 or thereabout, but if your cabin is not ready, you will have to take your carryon luggage with you.

2 minutes ago, hylas102 said:

Hi all, I'm excited for my upcoming sailing on the Regal Princess, but it's my first time on a Princess ship and I'm a little confused about how embarkation works with getting lunch on board.  According to the "progressive cruise check-in schedule" in Cruise Planner, my deck isn't scheduled to check in until 2:30, and it says, "Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready."  Unless there is a Coast Guard or other inspection scheduled boarding will start around 11.

I used the chat feature on the website, and the person I chatted with told me there is no early embarkation permitted, and when I asked specifically about lunch, he responded that lunch isn't available.  This sounds a little odd.Both of these "facts" are incorrect.

So is it possible to arrive and board the ship earlier so that we can get lunch?  Yes

From reading this forum it sounds like one of the main dining rooms Usually between 11-1:30. Check the back page of the Patter (ship newspaper in your cabin or at Pax Svcs) and the buffet are usually open on embarkation day, but I don't see how any of the people on the later-boarding decks would get to eat.

So much misinformation from that chat...see above.

16 minutes ago, hylas102 said:

Hi all, I'm excited for my upcoming sailing on the Regal Princess, but it's my first time on a Princess ship and I'm a little confused about how embarkation works with getting lunch on board.  According to the "progressive cruise check-in schedule" in Cruise Planner, my deck isn't scheduled to check in until 2:30, and it says, "Please do not arrive prior to the start of cruise check-in as your cabin will not be ready."  I used the chat feature on the website, and the person I chatted with told me there is no early embarkation permitted, and when I asked specifically about lunch, he responded that lunch isn't available.  This sounds a little odd.

So is it possible to arrive and board the ship earlier so that we can get lunch?  From reading this forum it sounds like one of the main dining rooms and the buffet are usually open on embarkation day, but I don't see how any of the people on the later-boarding decks would get to eat.  I understand if my room isn't ready and I need to keep my luggage with me--that's not a problem. Also, 2:30 seems a little too close to sailing time, heaven forbid there are any delays.  I would also note that I'm in a suite, in case that makes a difference.  I'd appreciate hearing from seasoned Princess cruisers about what to do.  Thank you!

You don't mention where you are sailing from.

Usually those boarding times are a suggestion.

For the most part boarding starts around 11:30 and one of the DR's is open from either 11:30 to 1:00 or Noon-1:30.

Buffet is open, Alfredos is open, burgers on deck, pizza on deck.

Lots of options if you miss the DR.

We usually arrive as early as possible, around 10:30.

On the Regal sometimes they have a crew staffed luggage check until cabins are ready if necessary. They will give info upon boarding about that.

Suites board in one of the first groups.

14 minutes ago, hylas102 said:

Hi all, I'm excited for my upcoming sailing on the Regal Princess,

Regal is out of port everglades. 

14 minutes ago, hylas102 said:

I would also note that I'm in a suite, in case that makes a difference.

OP is in a suite so they should have priority boarding

Show up when you want and board the ship.  If you want to be there early you will be one of the first few groups that boards.  I think it's Elites then Suite passengers.

On our last Princess cruise, we received email stating our boarding time was 3:30pm and not to arrive sooner. However, we arrived at 11:00 and we walked right on. They send those out so everyone doesn't arrive at the same time and cause a long wait.

Thanks to all of you for these helpful responses!  This makes a lot more sense.  Not sure why the person I chatted with had such poor information--all my interactions with Princess so far have been great, I guess I just got a bad egg.

We have found that passengers show up when they want to, regardless of

what their instructions say. As far as lunch not being available... there is always

lots of food and drink available we you board.

As far as you getting "a bad egg", unfortunately, this happens often- information

is conflicting and they need to go by what they have been instructed to say.

Previous posts are right on.

11 minutes ago, hylas102 said:

Thanks to all of you for these helpful responses!  This makes a lot more sense.  Not sure why the person I chatted with had such poor information--all my interactions with Princess so far have been great, I guess I just got a bad egg.

Ha! Unfortunately there is a chance they have never seen a Princess ship.

1 hour ago, hylas102 said:

It's a running joke on CC...call Princess 2 times and get 3 different answers (and none of them will be correct). The people who answer the phones are (for the most part) clueless about what goes on on the ship.:classic_wacko:

Edited by JF - retired RRT