Confession time

wowzz

4 hours ago, lujaha said:

Can someone explain the "Saturday evening ITV crowd".  I have just booked Iona for next year.  I don't like Paddy Mcguiness, but quite like Ant & Dec, so don't mind if they are on board!  

Obviously time will tell but personally I feel Paul Ludlow's comment was perhaps more about the direction they are taking P&O in with regard to atmosphere on board and the type of entertainment they are planning to have on the bigger ships.  I used a similar comparison in respect of Marella and P&O when - purely in my opinion - I felt you were more likely to prefer Marella over P&O if you preferred Saturday Night Takeaway to Strictly Come Dancing.  Of course that doesn't mean that people can't like both!

2 minutes ago, silversurf said:

We have been on P and O a few times and really enjoyed them, got two more booked over the next two years, but the price of the travel insurance with our medical conditions is astronomical; then there’s the drinks bill, while not excessive is in the low hundreds over two weeks.

So last year we booked Saga Spirit of Discovery to Norway and loved it. Didn’t find it ‘posh’ at all. Included insurance, car to and from port, three speciality restaurants included and now all inclusive drinks. What’s not to like? Yes, it sounds expensive but when we worked it all out there was very little difference in price. Brand new ship, decor beautiful, all balcony cabins, attentive staff and the food; oh the food was delicious.

Booked again on the new Spirit of Adventure next year to the Canaries.

Did you declare your previous medical conditions to the Saga insurer? If not I imagine you would not be covered for them.

20 minutes ago, silversurf said:

Terrierjohn

yes we declared everything, always do.

the only thing Saga insurance doesn’t cover is cruise extras like missed ports and cabin confinement.

I wonder to what extent they’ll accept pre-existing conditions without supplements or exclusions?  There must be limits on this.

So confused at the class c1,c2 etc 

seems rather stupid to me. Someone who has a manual job is classed lower that someone who is managerial? 

I earn the same per hour as my manager.
we work in a call centre. 

But she would be classed high Than me or my husband who has a manual job even though he earns over 3x per hour what we do. 

in my head there’s only three classes. Upper. Middle. Bottom. 
if I was bottom I wouldn’t be on holiday let alone a cruise. 
I feel we are middle. Normal income. 
upper would be the people in the suites on p&o or probably going to a different cruise line. 

so looks like hubby is c2 and I’m de. 
shall I turn up in my trackie bottoms too? 

Also don’t watch itv. Don’t bother with live tv at all. Just Netflix. 

• Like 2

It's not a matter of higher or lower, it's merely a way of identifying particular socio economic groupings, albeit in relatively large tranches.

The traditional upper, middle and working class groupings are far too broad and generalised to be useful in anything but  for macro categorisation purposes.

The blog linked to earlier is itself now 6 years old and the descriptions of each category much more out of date.  Life has changed and is now much broader than suggested by these categories.  Everyone has their own priorities in life and these too have probably changed dramatically over the years since this classification was devised.

At the end of the day, you are you and I am me - full stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

So confused at the class c1,c2 etc......

So are loads of people. There’s an assumption that somehow class (if it still exists) is related to income, which would put Philip Green and his ilk into Upper Class!

I rather like Alan Clark’s comment on Michael Heseltine, which says it all:

"An arriviste, certainly, who can't shoot straight and in Jopling's damning phrase 'bought all his own furniture', but who at any rate seeks the cachet. All the nouves in the party think he is the real thing."