Confession time

wowzz

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Wow, really?? Unbelievable in this day and age. Just shows how blinkered I am. My class? British citizen, end of.

It's a categorisation that has been around for years, and is basic marketing 101 .

A very easy method of determing a target socio economic market.

Edited by wowzz

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Can someone please explain all this to me. I am TOTALLY confused. I've tried looking on Google but all that comes up with is the vertebrae and I know its definitely not that.😕

I know exactly what it means...

I have stayed in a C2, they are coloured pink on the deck plans, I think a DE is mid ship and costs more, often coloured grey... 😊

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I know exactly what it means...

I have stayed in a C2, they are coloured pink on the deck plans, I think a DE is mid ship and costs more, often coloured grey... 😊

Andy 

Good one Andy.  I think the CEO, whoever he is, has opened a can of worms with his "Saturday night ITV audience".  To me he is saying this ship will attract a more downmarket passenger than the usual upmarket passengers on the other ships.  Not so.  I think it will attract a younger passenger, and as a 70 something myself, I don't think that will be a bad thing.  We had a great cruise on Oceana and met some lovely people, but a mix of ages would give a more diverse aspect to conversations with other passengers.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It's well out date now though when you have self employed  plasterers and electricians earning close on £100,000pa.

But the classification was never meant to reflect incomes, merely occupations.  Sociologists would however try and ascribe certain characteristics to each socio demographic class,  hence the different marketing strategies you get for brands that  are trying to attract a particular type of consumer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But the classification was never meant to reflect incomes, merely occupations.  Sociologists would however try and ascribe certain characteristics to each socio demographic class,  hence the different marketing strategies you get for brands that  are trying to attract a particular type of consumer.

I think that disposable income is a much more reliable indicator of people's spending habits.

I think our problem would be the price!  Saga cruises are way more expensive than P&O.  totally understand that you have booked it for a special birthday.  I have looked at them a couple of times and just won't pay that when I don't have to.

14 night cruise - £2841 pp

We have paid £1359 pp for a 19 night cruise.

Saga 19 night Med - £2832 - just doesn't compare.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

No it's not,  it's just a way of categorising people by their employment. It is not judgemental. 

Absolutely. And if anyone objects to being categorised I do hope they’re blocking all cookies, not using Facebook, Google, Amazon etc, and not venturing outside. It’s a fact of life, and we’re all categorised on countless databases.

ABC1/C2DE goes back a long time and is positively benign by comparison with newer categorisations, but it’s an effective marketing tool and clearly demonstrates the new P&O market.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think our problem would be the price!  Saga cruises are way more expensive than P&O.  totally understand that you have booked it for a special birthday.  I have looked at them a couple of times and just won't pay that when I don't have to.

Quite agree.  P&O isn't as luxurious as Saga. but it's not exactly roughing it, and compared to a land based holiday offers generally better food and certainly better evening entertainment.  All round good value.  You are well looked after by the cabin staff and staff in general around the ship greet you and are helpful, especially to disabled in the buffet etc.  Unlike other lines you can take a couple of litres of your favourite spirit for a drink in your cabin.  We avoided P&O for several years, but now after 2 cruises have 2 more booked.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Jean,  I'm certainly not disputing the extra cost.  In the example you give, is the P&O price for a large balcony cabin?  And over a 19 night cruise,  we would expect to spend £400 or so each on drink on P&O,  but no charge on Saga, no charge either for speciality dining, and obviously no costs on getting to Southampton or car parking (another large saving) 

Saga is still dear, but not as much as it appears at first sight.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Jean,  I'm certainly not disputing the extra cost.  In the example you give, is the P&O price for a large balcony cabin?  And over a 19 night cruise,  we would expect to spend £400 or so each on drink on P&O,  but no charge on Saga, no charge either for speciality dining, and obviously no costs on getting to Southampton or car parking (another large saving) 

Saga is still dear, but not as much as it appears at first sight.

I think it probably depends on the extras each individual spends. We personally couldn't possibly spend £800 on our 19 nights cruise. All in all after looking at Saga's prices in comparison with P&O I would be able to have almost two cruises to one Saga.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I think it probably depends on the extras each individual spends. We personally couldn't possibly spend £800 on our 19 nights cruise. All in all after looking at Saga's prices in comparison with P&O I would be able to have almost two cruises to one Saga.

That's only 3 drinks per night each. Hardly excessive.

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's only 3 drinks per night each. Hardly excessive.

I just nipped away to do my maths. A glass of wine each at dinner. One or maybe sometimes two drinks in Andersons depending on if we go to the theatre or not. Me JD, Frank draft Peroni. Total bar bill 19 night cruise £475/£500 max, and thats before deducting our loyalty discount.  The drink prices are more expensive on other cruise lines.

Edited by Adawn47

Yes my spend in 19 nights would be approx £200 just for me, so my £1349 is £1549, plus add £50 for parking at Southampton.   £1600.  However, I have £270 OBC, so that brings it back down again.  No Balcony, it's an inside cabin, but we don't mind that. 

Edited by jeanlyon

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes my spend in 19 nights would be approx £200 just for me, so my £1349 is £1549, plus add £500 for parking at Southampton.   £1600.  However, I have £270 OBC, so that brings it back down again.  No Balcony, it's an inside cabin, but we don't mind that. 

I think that is why Saga seem so expensive to us Jean - like you, I normally have an Inside Cabin (when travelling solo - and maybe an outside when with a cruise buddy) and of course the new Saga ships are all-balcony ships.  Those that normally have a balcony (especially if on Aurora) would not find the price hike for Saga quite so excessive.

• Like 1

We have been on P and O a few times and really enjoyed them, got two more booked over the next two years, but the price of the travel insurance with our medical conditions is astronomical; then there’s the drinks bill, while not excessive is in the low hundreds over two weeks.

So last year we booked Saga Spirit of Discovery to Norway and loved it. Didn’t find it ‘posh’ at all. Included insurance, car to and from port, three speciality restaurants included and now all inclusive drinks. What’s not to like? Yes, it sounds expensive but when we worked it all out there was very little difference in price. Brand new ship, decor beautiful, all balcony cabins, attentive staff and the food; oh the food was delicious.

Booked again on the new Spirit of Adventure next year to the Canaries.