Thinking of Cancelling European Cruise June 2020 - Am I the only one?

GatorMomInNC

7 hours ago, plimouth pilgrims said:

Final Payment for our cruise out of Germany was due today. We canceled, Too much going on worldwide not enough assurance from MSC to go any further.

Did they tell you how long until you would get your deposit back? I'm curious because I cancelled before paid in full date, but had already paid in full, and was told 1-2 mos. which seemed kind of a long time to me.

We cancelled a cruise because we found an itinerary we liked better several months back. We were told 1-2 months for the credit of our deposit on our card, but we received it in a couple of days. I hope this is the same for you!

42 minutes ago, L2float said:

We cancelled a cruise because we found an itinerary we liked better several months back. We were told 1-2 months for the credit of our deposit on our card, but we received it in a couple of days. I hope this is the same for you!

Oh thank you that is somewhat encouraging.  Although it has been 8 days and so far nothing...

On 2/26/2020 at 3:41 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

I have had a cruise on MSC Orchestra booked for almost a year for my family of four (2 children in their teens).    We also have plans to spend a week in Paris before hand.  The cruise leaves out of Venice on June 20th and goes to Italy, Greece, Albania and Dubrovnik.  I've been so excited and have loved planning it and looking forward to it.

I started to get worried a few days ago due to the spread of COVID-19 to Italy, and specifically Venice.   I am concerned that at some point I will be unable to travel to (or from) Venice or maybe even Europe, if the virus spreads and travel bans are put in place.   So worried that I woke up thinking about this and can't get back to sleep.

I went online and cancelled most of the excursions I pre-booked. I figure that if I go I can always re-book and likely there would be availability.  But in case there is a lot of cancellations I would like the money back now.

I have about 3 more weeks to cancel the cruise and get a refund. 

I bought insurance for the package I bought for Disneyland Paris, but I don't know if it would cover cancellations unless we actually got sick.

Stupidly, I didn't buy insurance for my flights to/from US/Paris, or to and from Paris to Venice, so without those being cancelled by the airlines, I would be out about $3,000.

If there are no travel bans I would like to go, but I would feel bad possibly exposing my kids to the virus.

I would also be afraid I would not be allowed back in the US.

Is anyone else booked for European cruises this summer thinking about this, or am I just panicking/over-reacting??

You have to do what is right for you but being quarantined in your cabin especially an inside cabin....it's virtually like you are in prison. I always say you got to do what you got to do. Money or your health....I think I would prefer to lose my money and be home in my familiar surroundings. At least you will be home and if you should you get ill then you have family around you. I have cancelled my cruise as well but not only the virus, also my husband is fragile and has been ill off and on and I am not going to leave him knowing perfectly well that he isn't in good health. I just can't or won't go at this time. Then the virus has turned me off seeing my Canadian friends stuck on cruise ships for weeks; it just does not sit well with me. Sorry Administration that there will be a loss but Health comes first. I have been on a few cruises and got sick every time because one is bound to come in contact with passengers with colds etc. My immune system sucks now and I am not going to gamble on my health. You are not overreacting it is a smart move to avoid cruise ships for now.

• Like 2

Since the entire country of Italy is now in quarantine.  I don't think the cruise ship will be leaving Venice.  The flights also might not happen as I don't think many people want to travel to Venice with what is going on.  Most likely everything will get cancelled.

• Like 1

We notified our TA this morning to cancel our June Preziosa cruise. We will take the FCC and wait to see what looks good for next year.  Since we are from Seattle, could see scenario where we would be denied boarding because we from hot zone. Also, we are older and not worth the gamble to our health.  Also, the chance of quarantine did not sound appealing. 

Had great flights in first class that we booked with miles. Sad to give those up but, there will be other trips in our future.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, phissy said:

We notified our TA this morning to cancel our June Preziosa cruise. We will take the FCC and wait to see what looks good for next year.  Since we are from Seattle, could see scenario where we would be denied boarding because we from hot zone. Also, we are older and not worth the gamble to our health.  Also, the chance of quarantine did not sound appealing. 

Had great flights in first class that we booked with miles. Sad to give those up but, there will be other trips in our future.

Was it too late to cancel for you and get your money refunded?

Hi, as promised, I'm back for updates: during last days, things changed a lot in Italy, as virus has spread in more regions. The rules that were valid only for some regions in Italy, are now extended countrywide: schools are closed until 4/3, people who can work from home are invited to do so, it is recommended to stay at home, and go out just to work, to see a doctor, or to buy food and what is necessary for normal life. Bars and restaurants are closed from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., and during the day people must keep a distance of 1 meter from other persons. In supermarkets people are allowed to enter in groups of about 20/30 persons to avoid crowds. Every sport event is cancelled, no mass in churches, no museums, cinemas, swimming pools, nothing.

My opinion is that we have been optimist, and I was one of them, but now we have all realized that this disease is spreading more than we could imagine: I hope every country worldwide will soon adopt strict measures, or the situation is not going to improve soon. I heard that in Spain they are allowing big fiestas (Las Fallas in Valencia, for example), so I'm afraid that soon they'll have to face a worsening...of course I hope this will not be true, but in Italy after some weeks of weak measures, we have all understood that it is serious...the good news is that we have an excellent public health care, I don't want to think what could happen in poor countries, or where you can have good assistance only if you can pay...

For the ones who have travel plans for next two months in Italy, I'm so sorry to say that you'd be better canceling...hope to see you in my Country this summer, anyway, when hopefully we would have put all this behind us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ela05 said:

Hi, as promised, I'm back for updates: during last days, things changed a lot in Italy, as virus has spread in more regions. The rules that were valid only for some regions in Italy, are now extended countrywide: schools are closed until 4/3, people who can work from home are invited to do so, it is recommended to stay at home, and go out just to work, to see a doctor, or to buy food and what is necessary for normal life. Bars and restaurants are closed from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., and during the day people must keep a distance of 1 meter from other persons. In supermarkets people are allowed to enter in groups of about 20/30 persons to avoid crowds. Every sport event is cancelled, no mass in churches, no museums, cinemas, swimming pools, nothing.

My opinion is that we have been optimist, and I was one of them, but now we have all realized that this disease is spreading more than we could imagine: I hope every country worldwide will soon adopt strict measures, or the situation is not going to improve soon. I heard that in Spain they are allowing big fiestas (Las Fallas in Valencia, for example), so I'm afraid that soon they'll have to face a worsening...of course I hope this will not be true, but in Italy after some weeks of weak measures, we have all understood that it is serious...the good news is that we have an excellent public health care, I don't want to think what could happen in poor countries, or where you can have good assistance only if you can pay...

For the ones who have travel plans for next two months in Italy, I'm so sorry to say that you'd be better canceling...hope to see you in my Country this summer, anyway, when hopefully we would have put all this behind us.

Thank you so much for this update. 

My neighbor's son is in Madrid for a semester abroad. I noted that yesterday their numbers skyrocketed. They are in the same place Italy was only 10 days ago.  He is not concerned but I hope he comes home.  Not that I think things won't be as bad here eventually, but I am afraid at some point he won't be allowed back in the US.

Let's hope things get better for you in Italy and life can return to normal.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Thank you so much for this update. 

My neighbor's son is in Madrid for a semester abroad. I noted that yesterday their numbers skyrocketed. They are in the same place Italy was only 10 days ago.  He is not concerned but I hope he comes home.  Not that I think things won't be as bad here eventually, but I am afraid at some point he won't be allowed back in the US.

Let's hope things get better for you in Italy and life can return to normal.

Madrid is closing tomorrow all schools and universities for 2 weeks

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lasnev said:

Decided to keep ours...It was either cancel or pay today. After their 48 hours cancellation policy announcement, decided to keep our plans/airfares...If it gets really bad in the next month we will be still be able to cancel for full refund up to April 7th with just a penalty of original deposit amount. ($200.00).

Or get full credit for use till December 2021.

Did you get an extension on your final payment?  How can you be able to cancel and get a refund instead of a FCC?

13 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Was it too late to cancel for you and get your money refunded?

We had already made final payment.  I guess in YC, final payment is due much sooner . Have not had a reply from TA yet, I am sure he is swamped as is MSC.

1 hour ago, phissy said:

We had already made final payment.  I guess in YC, final payment is due much sooner . Have not had a reply from TA yet, I am sure he is swamped as is MSC.

Received email today from TA. He said he submitted the form .MSC will send written confirmation and FCC within 14 days.

7 hours ago, MANDMTRAVEL said:

Did you get an extension on your final payment?  How can you be able to cancel and get a refund instead of a FCC?

MSCs Us policy states that between 89 and 61 days before sailing you can cancel your cruise with a penalty of whatever the deposit was. In our case it was $99.00 per person up to 2 people. ( $198.00)

So the refund would be whatever the price was minus the deposit. 

On 3/9/2020 at 10:47 PM, cscurlock said:

Since the entire country of Italy is now in quarantine.  I don't think the cruise ship will be leaving Venice.  The flights also might not happen as I don't think many people want to travel to Venice with what is going on.  Most likely everything will get cancelled.

I think you are absolutely right that by the time that this virus is completely shut down it will be in the Fall and my cruise was scheduled for early September. Sometimes one has to weigh the pros and cons and if it doesn't sit right with you in the end, then cancel for peace of mind. I haven't really lost much money only Administration fees and certainly I can live with that. Maybe one day I will take a similar cruise but definitely 2020 is out. Take care friend.

• Like 1

We decided to make the final payment for our 2 cruises out of Venice in June because of the new cancellation policy. We are currently having a "staycation" at our home as we cancelled our Divina trip out of Miami for this week. We couldn't take the risk due to health issues. I'm cautiously optimistic and know we're probably in for another staycation in June. I'm losing my love of cruising. It has become too exhausting to plan and reschedule. Things will look better down the road.

I wish everyone the best as you navigate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, L2float said:

We decided to make the final payment for our 2 cruises out of Venice in June because of the new cancellation policy. We are currently having a "staycation" at our home as we cancelled our Divina trip out of Miami for this week. We couldn't take the risk due to health issues. I'm cautiously optimistic and know we're probably in for another staycation in June. I'm losing my love of cruising. It has become too exhausting to plan and reschedule. Things will look better down the road.

I wish everyone the best as you navigate.

I really hope that we can re-book our cruise and join  you in June!!

I cancelled yesterday, 3 cabins for a July cruise out of Venice.  Final payment was due on April 4th.  MSC said they would send a confirmation email showing all 3 deposits refunded but I have not received that yet.  Anyone who cancelled get an email from them?  Thanks

My understanding is that MSC will respond within 14 days with confirmation . It has been 7 days for us , not too worried about getting email. They are over whelmed right now. Just make sure you maintain a “paper trail” of information.

4 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I cancelled through my TA 15 days ago.  Never got an email from anyone and was told 2 billing cycles (months) to get a refund.  I had paid in full already, but cancelled before the final payment was actually due. 

I made my cancellation call this morning.  As a reminder I was past PIF but still in the deposit loss only phase for my 5/20 Seaview cruise.  I couldnt get Expedia to even put me on hold and I was getting no where with on line chat help, you dont actually get to a person its basically a search engine.  My email from days ago has not been answered.  So I tried MSC.  Got through right away.  Expected to be told to call Expedia but I wasnt.  I didnt mention it to the rep so hopefully that wont bit me in the booty.  Anyway I was told Id get a cancellation email (I havent yet 3 hours later) and that the refund would hit my card in 14 business days.  I have a reference number if that doesnt happen.  I wasnt given a reference number when I have cancelled in the past so I dont know if that means I should expect trouble. 

I hope the 14 days I was quoted means that you will be getting your refund in just a few days and that what you were told was wrong.  Please let us know when the refund hits your card.

8 hours ago, aprilF said:

I made my cancellation call this morning.  As a reminder I was past PIF but still in the deposit loss only phase for my 5/20 Seaview cruise.  I couldnt get Expedia to even put me on hold and I was getting no where with on line chat help, you dont actually get to a person its basically a search engine.  My email from days ago has not been answered.  So I tried MSC.  Got through right away.  Expected to be told to call Expedia but I wasnt.  I didnt mention it to the rep so hopefully that wont bit me in the booty.  Anyway I was told Id get a cancellation email (I havent yet 3 hours later) and that the refund would hit my card in 14 business days.  I have a reference number if that doesnt happen.  I wasnt given a reference number when I have cancelled in the past so I dont know if that means I should expect trouble. 

I hope the 14 days I was quoted means that you will be getting your refund in just a few days and that what you were told was wrong.  Please let us know when the refund hits your card.

I looked on MSC website early this AM and they still had me down to cruise, so I called my TA today to follow up.  They said that they can see on the MSC site (I guess something I can't) that MSC has me as cancelled and they are working on the refund.  So right now I am going on 16 days, and keep in mind 16 days ago things were not nearly as bad as TODAY...but I know things are crazy so I will just continue to wait and see....

3 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I looked on MSC website early this AM and they still had me down to cruise, so I called my TA today to follow up.  They said that they can see on the MSC site (I guess something I can't) that MSC has me as cancelled and they are working on the refund.  So right now I am going on 16 days, and keep in mind 16 days ago things were not nearly as bad as TODAY...but I know things are crazy so I will just continue to wait and see....

I have the same situation with Celebrity.  My B2B was canceled by X so I called to get a refund. I did not want the FCC. I can still see my two bookings on their website  but when I called back I was told both were showing as canceled but that it had to go through a review step before the funds would be issued. 

By the way, here in Palm Springs, CA we start a “shelter in place” effective at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning. All non essential businesses must close. Definitely a new way of life. I applaud our city council for the action.

• Like 1