Thinking of Cancelling European Cruise June 2020 - Am I the only one?

GatorMomInNC

9 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I looked on MSC website early this AM and they still had me down to cruise, so I called my TA today to follow up.  They said that they can see on the MSC site (I guess something I can't) that MSC has me as cancelled and they are working on the refund.  So right now I am going on 16 days, and keep in mind 16 days ago things were not nearly as bad as TODAY...but I know things are crazy so I will just continue to wait and see....

Wow.  I checked about an hour after I canceled and MSC had my cruise reservation marked as canceled and I could have booked my room again so it was back in the system already.  I'd say the difference is due to me canceling direct with MSC but Ive canceled via Expedia before with a similar experience as what I had yesterday.  The only difference yesterday was they didnt ask me why I was canceling.  Your experience seems really strange to me and I am sorry you are going through it.

We cancelled our cruise March 10. Yesterday received offer to upgrade our cruise. On MSC, our cruise date still shows our cabin as not available. I guess there will be some lag  time for requests to cancel. We were told within 14 days, confirmation email to be sent.

• 1 month later...

Not a refund, but got my FCC today for our March 27 Grandiosa out of Marseille. I had canceled all onboard bookings (laundry, internet, etc.) and received those refunds to my CC in March. Cancelled my cruise online and just kept my fingers crossed. Keep the faith...you will get your money!!!! Stay well! 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So here is the update to my story.  June 20th Venice Cruise.  Prepaid in full in July 2019. 

Late February began to get nervous about cruising, cancelled all onboard prepaid activities and was refunded automatically.

March 2nd, called TA and cancelled my cruise well within time frame to receive full refund.  Was told "up to 2 billing cycles" for refund. 

Called a couple times to check in and was told by TA that they can see on MSC site that my refund was being processed. 

4/20 MSC told my TA they had processed refund, it would be 12 more days (I thought my TA told me 10 days, but they keep notes of all our conversations and their notes said 12 days).  

Called at 12 days and they said it should be anytime now. 

Called today.  75 days and counting since I cancelled.  26 days since MSC said 12 days. 

MSC has now told my TA they will not BEGIN my refund until my sail date and then it will take 2 billing cycles.  My TA argued with them, pointed out that I had cancelled within my time frame to get a full refund, no reason needed, that they had told us repeatedly they were processing and she went over all the different calls and different stories we were told.  MSC says they don't care that is what they are doing. 

So MSC is totally just lying to everyone and changing their story on a daily basis.  They have spent my money and don't have it to give back to me.   Given their dishonesty and incompetence, I fully expect they are going to declare bankruptcy and keep my money.  I have no faith in them whatsoever.

I want to book a cruise next summer before prices go up (obviously not with MSC) but they have all my money - and to be clear, by money I mean my actual cash deposit, and my reward points which have cash value. 

17 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

So here is the update to my story.  June 20th Venice Cruise.  Prepaid in full in July 2019. 

Late February began to get nervous about cruising, cancelled all onboard prepaid activities and was refunded automatically.

March 2nd, called TA and cancelled my cruise well within time frame to receive full refund.  Was told "up to 2 billing cycles" for refund. 

Called a couple times to check in and was told by TA that they can see on MSC site that my refund was being processed. 

4/20 MSC told my TA they had processed refund, it would be 12 more days (I thought my TA told me 10 days, but they keep notes of all our conversations and their notes said 12 days).  

Called at 12 days and they said it should be anytime now. 

Called today.  75 days and counting since I cancelled.  26 days since MSC said 12 days. 

MSC has now told my TA they will not BEGIN my refund until my sail date and then it will take 2 billing cycles.  My TA argued with them, pointed out that I had cancelled within my time frame to get a full refund, no reason needed, that they had told us repeatedly they were processing and she went over all the different calls and different stories we were told.  MSC says they don't care that is what they are doing. 

So MSC is totally just lying to everyone and changing their story on a daily basis.  They have spent my money and don't have it to give back to me.   Given their dishonesty and incompetence, I fully expect they are going to declare bankruptcy and keep my money.  I have no faith in them whatsoever.

I want to book a cruise next summer before prices go up (obviously not with MSC) but they have all my money - and to be clear, by money I mean my actual cash deposit, and my reward points which have cash value. 

All cruise lines & airlines are exactly the same and taking same time for refunds, read any board and you will see same stories.

i am awaiting £3k back from Emirates for flights cancelled 21st March, i have been advised that refund approved since 16th April 

On 5/16/2020 at 9:15 AM, cruiser man 60 said:

All cruise lines & airlines are exactly the same and taking same time for refunds, read any board and you will see same stories.

i am awaiting £3k back from Emirates for flights cancelled 21st March, i have been advised that refund approved since 16th April 

THis is 100% false.  If you read about the other lines you will see some disgruntled people but you will also see that other lines (air and cruise) are refunding some (dare i say most) in a timely fashion.  Only MSC is screwing everyone.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 9:15 AM, cruiser man 60 said:

Southwest airlines has already refunded me for several trips I cancelled last week.  They actually called me to see if I was still planning on flying and then processed my refund.  With SWA, you can cancel and get a credit to use on a flight within a year of when you initially booked.  I had used points or pre-existing credits for  my flights.  They rebanked the credits and points, refunded me the extra money I had paid for early bird check in (which is normally non-refundable and I saw it immediately go on my CC) and gave me additional time to use those credits so they won't expire.   

I cancelled with Delta and American and Air France last week.  I was warned it could take a month or 2.  But I have seen a partial refund so far with Delta, American just sent an email that the refund has been processed and should appear on our CC within 2 weeks.  I have not heard from Air France yet.