RCL Stock

heidikay

My specialty is catching falling knives. I bought enough UPS at the bottom of the sell off, low on cash so as I posted above only bought 100 more rcl. UPS showed a 5.15% dividend so a safety pick which I doubt goes lower. Same for RCL. It hurt to pay over 152.xx a share, but I pulled cash to close on my new condo. So far I called the bottom on rcl too. 16 pe, and even if earnings arent 27% yoy still up. Pe will drop as earnings are increased. Imo. ..still hard to buy even this high, but I bet it goes higher not lower. 50 years trading and chart experience. Each of us brings different skills to the table I know. I catch falling knives. Imo there wasnt a reason for rcl to sell off like it did on earnings, just nervous nellies sold.

20240729_094502477.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My specialty is catching falling knives. I bought enough UPS at the bottom of the sell off, low on cash so as I posted above only bought 100 more rcl. UPS showed a 5.15% dividend so a safety pick which I doubt goes lower. Same for RCL. It hurt to pay over 152.xx a share, but I pulled cash to close on my new condo. So far I called the bottom on rcl too. 16 pe, and even if earnings arent 27% yoy still up. Pe will drop as earnings are increased. Imo. ..still hard to buy even this high, but I bet it goes higher not lower. 50 years trading and chart experience. Each of us brings different skills to the table I know. I catch falling knives. Imo there wasnt a reason for rcl to sell off like it did on earnings, just nervous nellies sold.

20240729_094502477.jpeg

Knife catcher too. Nice to see a real trader--knew I liked you. 

5 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Knife catcher too. Nice to see a real trader--knew I liked you. 

Lol it seems to be retesting support. Dropped a few cents below 152, but only quick and back over. So far holding support. 

I obviously liked ups better at 125 than rcl... bought more. Rcl just fun to trade such low float. It bounces around so much.

12 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I like how you turn a 110 million dollar event into a 450 million dollar event.  Kind of a convenient way to make a non factual fact even more non factual.  I don’t believe they have declared this dividend for the other 3/4 of a year yet.  

How much does one new build cost?  How does that compare to a 110 million dollar event.  O, I know it is a very small event comparatively.  

Why does someone who made great money never buying this particular stock enjoy so much talking about this stock?  Thinks that make one go hmmm, and wonder what is wrong with some people.  🤪

jc

This is almost too easy. It’s a $450,000,000 event because I know how to read and interpret what I read. It said $.40 per share “quarterly”, which means four times a year.

I didn’t and won’t by this stock for several reason. 15-20 years ago when we were head RCL and Celebrity cheerleaders there were two many better options to invest my money, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, and Alphabet (Google) to name a few.

I put a lot of time and effort in picking stocks, it reminds me of a phrase, “the harder you work the luckier you get.”. The first two questions I ask myself is 1) is it a product I believe in and 2) has it got a good track record and the management team to keep it headed in the right direction? By the way the shutdown, and startup was handled by all the cruise lines it’s a resounding no.

Posted (edited)

"By the way the shutdown, and startup was handled by all the cruise lines it’s a resounding no"

We can second guess how certain aspects were handled but faced with the blackest of black swan events most doubted the cruise lines ability to survive, yet they did, and without government support.  Hats off to John Fain and management for that.  And now in only a couple of years the industry is thriving and RCL stock is trading above pre-covid high.  

Edited by Baron Barracuda

57 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

This is almost too easy. It’s a $450,000,000 event because I know how to read and interpret what I read. It said $.40 per share “quarterly”, which means four times a year.

I didn’t and won’t by this stock for several reason. 15-20 years ago when we were head RCL and Celebrity cheerleaders there were two many better options to invest my money, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, and Alphabet (Google) to name a few.

I put a lot of time and effort in picking stocks, it reminds me of a phrase, “the harder you work the luckier you get.”. The first two questions I ask myself is 1) is it a product I believe in and 2) has it got a good track record and the management team to keep it headed in the right direction? By the way the shutdown, and startup was handled by all the cruise lines it’s a resounding no.

Is RCI not a product you believe in? Do you still use it?

As for the shutdown, RCI managed to take care of their assets (ships), pay employees that were needed to look after those assets, deal with refunds of customer money, and managed to come out alive on the other side. It doesn't seem to me that management did all that badly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

As for the shutdown, RCI managed to take care of their assets (ships), pay employees that were needed to look after those assets, deal with refunds of customer money, and managed to come out alive on the other side. It doesn't seem to me that management did all that badly.

Facts don’t matter to him.  He has a hankering and he must scratch that itch.  What is Carnival trading at?  Which management team did/doing better?  Hmm???  We purchased about $5000 of each about 20 to 25 years ago over 100 shares of each.  My Shareholder credits have on their own have repaid the initial investment of the RCI a few times over.  We have only taken a couple of CCG since, so very little in the way of that has been repaid.  I am the unfortunate owner of the Carnival stock which is worth about 1/3 what I paid for it.  Royal is trading at 4 times the purchase price.  I will give GG credit.  I am not a huge fan of stocks like a cruise line or airline or hotel brand or travel industry in general, because they are subject to directly to the headwinds of the economy, and it is hard to plan for events like Covid or Crowdstrike, etc.  That said, trying to justify repeatedly here why Royal is a bad investment is just beyond silly/foolish.  If you choose to not buy it, good for you, if you tell people who made money buying it they are wrong, that seems to me to be over the edge into crazy.  JMHO and YMMV

jc

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Thanks, OB.  I hope I never actually infer my Net Worth in this forum, if I ever do, please spank me, that is not only inappropriate it is not smart.  🤣

jc

I agree dont say private financials. I use yahoo because its public. I have more than one financial account where I could see charts and analysis but post a public version.

I just wanted those who say I'm too rich to care where I buy, I tell my guy when to buy, what difference does it make long term. I just had this conversation with a cousin who thinks my bottom fishing is stupid. Called 152 support this morning, during the dip this afternoon told people not to worry it was retesting support and after showed the very pretty bounce. Short term charts work. If there was a world event of course bets are off. Charts show you what's happening  now. Computers are watching the charts, if you arent you are leaving money on the table. Off my soap box now. 

Just showing those who say I called my guy and said buy, dont care at what price, makes no difference long term how computers see it.

Posted (edited)

FF, you seem like a really knowledgeable investor to me.  What do I know?  I am just a dumb economist.  I am too lazy to work as hard as you do with this stuff. 🤣

I have spent the last 5 days playing on my boat spending too much money on gas, food, and drink, but having a fabulous time.  That is how I spend my time, or playing golf, or traveling, or just about anything that doesn’t resemble work any more!  😉

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Thanks, OB.  I hope I never actually infer my Net Worth in this forum, if I ever do, please spank me, that is not only inappropriate it is not smart.  🤣

jc

jc's net worth ... don't tell anyone.  🤫

Dr Evil Austin Powers GIF

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

They hired a “blue chip panel” to tell them what to do and just sat back and watched. If it wasn’t for Florida, Texas, and Alaska later, complaining and keeping the shutdown in the public eye, god knows how long it would have gone on.

What about the start up and what followed? What about the staffing shortage as well as the food and beverage shortage? When they saw it would be a problem, why didn’t they cutback on passengers until it got caught up? Final payment is due some ninety days before sailing so they had time to react, a company that truly cared about their customers would have done something.

No, we don’t go on any cruises. Since December 2016, we’ve done 14 days on Celebrity Equinox in a Sky Suite, 14 days on RCL Allure in a Grand Suite, and at the time, our new favorite MSC Seaside 28 days in a Yacht Club Suite. Due to the cutbacks across the board we see no value in any of them. Life goes on.

Life has never been better, we spend much more time with our family and friends and do whatever we want whenever we want.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

They hired a “blue chip panel” to tell them what to do and just sat back and watched. If it wasn’t for Florida, Texas, and Alaska later, complaining and keeping the shutdown in the public eye, god knows how long it would have gone on.

What about the start up and what followed? What about the staffing shortage as well as the food and beverage shortage? When they saw it would be a problem, why didn’t they cutback on passengers until it got caught up? Final payment is due some ninety days before sailing so they had time to react, a company that truly cared about their customers would have done something.

No, we don’t go on any cruises. Since December 2016, we’ve done 14 days on Celebrity Equinox in a Sky Suite, 14 days on RCL Allure in a Grand Suite, and at the time, our new favorite MSC Seaside 28 days in a Yacht Club Suite. Due to the cutbacks across the board we see no value in any of them. Life goes on.

Life has never been better, we spend much more time with our family and friends and do whatever we want whenever we want.

No offense but who cares, things have moved on. There are stock boards for whatever YOU like which isnt here. I cruise royal and watch it. Its light float and moves a lot more than big name stocks. I watch it trade and "both my palms start to itch" (gotta pick a pocket or two) to steal a line from a musical. It's hard not to trade and make a few bucks and pay for a treat. 

The past is the past. Charts are what is NOW. Time for you to get over your grudges. 

Edited by firefly333

27 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The startup did have some issues with procurement of supplies as well as beefing up labor. Was RCI supposed to wait for covid to disappear, supply chains to resolve, fully staff ships, and then restart at 100%? How much longer would that have extended the shutdown? I think RCI did the best they could. In return I got to do a couple of cruises relatively inexpensively, received double C&A points, and got to experience an Oasis class ship at 50% occupancy and Odyssey at a little over 60%. Both were very, very enjoyable cruises.

I'm glad you are happy with your decision to move on from cruising. I'm still very much enjoying it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The startup did have some issues with procurement of supplies as well as beefing up labor. Was RCI supposed to wait for covid to disappear, supply chains to resolve, fully staff ships, and then restart at 100%? How much longer would that have extended the shutdown? I think RCI did the best they could. In return I got to do a couple of cruises relatively inexpensively, received double C&A points, and got to experience an Oasis class ship at 50% occupancy and Odyssey at a little over 60%. Both were very, very enjoyable cruises.

I'm glad you are happy with your decision to move on from cruising. I'm still very much enjoying it.

Yeah, wouldn’t we all pay more to go back to the brilliant post covid moments.  Now we pay more for piles of people and limited menus.  Back post covid, we were just happy to be on a vacation, and the 60 % occupancy was like a sweet little chocolate on our pillow.  

Funny how bad some people’s memories are of that time.  🤪

No company is permanent.  Nothing is ever without changing.  Life goes on and it is always different than our memory.  Get out there and live what you have left is my motto.

jc

• Like 2

Got notified a few weeks ago, for the second time our mule ride and overnight at the Phantom Ranch got cancelled.  I can’t seem to catch a break.  I am pretty certain, RCI and Carnival are both better at providing a good vacation than the US Government!😆

jc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

PS, we head off in the Airstream on 8/15 for 2-1/2 months out west and into Canada, hope the fires end.  

JC

Safe travels. 

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

How's the rooftop Flowrider?  😉

AC and Solar on the roof, unfortunately, not quite enough room for the FlowRider.  Still waiting for Andrew’s unveiling of his personal FlowRider.  Hopefully, summer/fall of 2025!

jc

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

For those of you feeling like you are no longer royals target pax, its probably true. They are trying to attract newbies to cruises who spend more $$$. 

20240730_102559875.jpeg

I have had that feeling for awhile.

Sales cannot go on indefinitely beyond the grave.

Imagine how many cruise days for the newbies before they reach higher level of Crown & Anchor Status. (Money saved on perks).

It was a good run while it lasted.