No win situation

Mrs Soap

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Seriously people?

What difference does it make if the officers are from Italy if the officers have not been in the quarantined areas or in contact with anyone from those areas.

It is like saying I should avoid the family owned Chinese restaurant down the street because the family are immigrants from China.

The problem is passengers but also crew rotations and the unknown incubation period of the virus.  It would make sense that a shipping line that is Italian might indeed have people who have been to Italy recently or been in contact with people from Italy.  The Chinese restaurant is domestic, MSC is an international cruise line, there is no valid comparison here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Seriously people?

What difference does it make if the officers are from Italy if the officers have not been in the quarantined areas or in contact with anyone from those areas.

It is like saying I should avoid the family owned Chinese restaurant down the street because the family are immigrants from China.

I think you jump to conclusions.  I was just looking at the situation from the company's point of view. Many of their incoming staff would be coming from Italy and possibly need to adhere to a quarantine period.  I wouldn't be afraid to be around these Italian crew members. I would hope they would enact the same policies they used for Chinese crew members. who were not allowed to embark on their crew ships when the outbreak began. That was stated in their policy.

2 hours ago, resistk said:

The problem is passengers but also crew rotations and the unknown incubation period of the virus.  It would make sense that a shipping line that is Italian might indeed have people who have been to Italy recently or been in contact with people from Italy.  The Chinese restaurant is domestic, MSC is an international cruise line, there is no valid comparison here.

Sure it is a valid comparison.

I am leaving on a MSC cruise from Miami in a week. That is a domestic cruise on a line that has a ship based in Miami.  

It doesn't matter what the ship registry is or where the officers are from.

By the way, how many people realize that NCL is Chinese owned? Same (il)logical thought about avoiding NCL could apply.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:06 PM, Mrs Soap said:

I’ve put this on another thread but am kind of answering my own question here and thought it required a separate discussion...

so we depart marseille April 18th, prior to that we are traveling thru Croatia and France.

obviously we wouldn’t knowingly travel through quarantined area, but just say they were quarantined after we left and then MSC denies us boarding?

spoke to MSc they don’t as yet have a policy on refunds for this. We can’t cancel without losing our money, can only postpone trip to a later date. That doesn’t work for us due to flights accommodation etc that can’t be canceled.

spoke to travel insurance and although I paid for full comprehensive with cruise pack insurance 9months ago, any claims arising from an epidemic aren’t covered....

seriously have no idea what we would do??

has anybody heard of people being denied boarding? Or are people just not admitting to having been through certain areas?

Just seen this posted on another CC MSC board:

jimmyjackson

• Cool Cruiser
  • April 23, 2015
  •  
  • 26 posts
  • United States

We got to the port around 11am. We are staying in an inside YC room, the process was great getting on the ship. I thought it might be delayed or take longer with everything going on but we were in the waiting area for maybe 15 minutes before boarding the ship. 

They are checking passports along with the thermal scan and a health form to fill out. There was an Italian couple that came to the YC tent right after us and I heard the attendant tell a coworker that they weren’t allowing people with an Italian passport to board the ship due to the Coronavirus outbreak in Italy. They sent them to a different area, I haven’t seen them onboard yet so not sure what happened to them. 

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

By the way, how many people realize that NCL is Chinese owned? Same (il)logical thought about avoiding NCL could apply.

Not true at all, NCL are owned by shareholder and while it is true Genting Hong Kong own 27.7% it hardly makes them Chinese owned, as a shareholder I own NCL too.

Star Cruises acquired Norwegian in 2000 and at that point it was Chinese owned but NCL was floated into public ownership in 2013 and Star sold all its remaining shares in 2018.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Not true at all, NCL are owned by shareholder and while it is true Genting Hong Kong own 27.7% it hardly makes them Chinese owned, as a shareholder I own NCL too.

Star Cruises acquired Norwegian in 2000 and at that point it was Chinese owned but NCL was floated into public ownership in 2013 and Star sold all its remaining shares in 2018.

I did not know that Genting Hongkong was a shareholder from NCL. I have thought Genting was only involved, in terms of cruise lines, with Crystal Cruises and Dream Cruises.

I agree it is great MSC are allowing changes without penalty for passengers coming through a quarantine area. However the decision to deny boarding to those thru Singapore is their choice not one govt issued. Singapore has no travel restrictions atm....

in that case it is MSc who is not allowing us on their ship and therefore feel a full refund should be available 

just my opinion 

16 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I did not know that Genting Hongkong was a shareholder from NCL. I have thought Genting was only involved, in terms of cruise lines, with Crystal Cruises and Dream Cruises.

Genting and Apollo sold huge shareholding in NCL in 2018 when NCL did a big share buyback.

To be honest It's hard to find hard details of the current Genting shareholding, Wikipedia claim Genting and Apollo sold all remaining shares in 2018.

EDIT:

Actually, you are correct since 2018 these are the biggest shareholders (nothing Cinese to be seen! )

https://money.cnn.com/quote/shareholders/shareholders.html?symb=NCLH&subView=institutional

Edited by ziggyuk

Just an update from us.

so school canceled trip as directed by the department of education in Australia, actually they are just postponing it to next year as insurance company won’t cover the cancellation.....so next April for the girls 

with us it’s more messy.....trying to cancel all our flights, accomodation, car hire etc.....

some companies have been excellent, others not so much....

in in terms of the cruise, MSc allowing us to move to another date without penalty but it has to be the same value. The cruise we could possibly do is out of Dubai in January, of course it’s $700 cheaper and no they won’t put that as on board credit.

if I just cancel the cruise we would lose $1400.

if I cancel and rebook , with the cruise being $700 cheaper and them offering $600 on board credit....I’m really only $100 down and also have the time to look around.

i explained all this to MSc, you would think they would want to keep a customer and the very nice TA is looking into for me....she understood that we would be probably better just canceling and rebooking (would also then be a new booking with the normal cancellation rules) where as moving the booking, there would be no ability to cancel if say travel was restricted even in January.

will wait and see.....

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 8:56 PM, Mrs Soap said:

Yes for a cruise to the same value within the next 12 months. No penalty.

unfortunately that doesn’t work for us at this time.

i really think MSc need a policy with regards to this. They would be aware that most insurance companies don’t cover claims due to an epidemic or pandemic. If they people are aware they wouldn’t be covered, they will just omit information from where they have travelled. I know that’s not the “right” thing to do but understandable in certain situations.

1 hour ago, Mrs Soap said:

Just an update from us.

so school canceled trip as directed by the department of education in Australia, actually they are just postponing it to next year as insurance company won’t cover the cancellation.....so next April for the girls 

I suspected that the school may cancel. That makes things a bit easier for you. Give MSC a chance, they may still come through. Things are so dynamic I don't think cruise lines can keep up. Wishing you all the best! 

I am on Divina right now. When I checked in, each traveller’s passport was verified page by page to see if they had travelled to one of the countries that they have singled out for restriction. They also have some sort of imaging technology to scan your body / temperature one by one as you walk through a hallway in the cruise terminal. There are 3 lines setup for this. If you have a fever it will likely be caught.

41 minutes ago, Carribean Cruiser George said:

I am on Divina right now. When I checked in, each traveller’s passport was verified page by page to see if they had travelled to one of the countries that they have singled out for restriction. They also have some sort of imaging technology to scan your body / temperature one by one as you walk through a hallway in the cruise terminal. There are 3 lines setup for this. If you have a fever it will likely be caught.

Unless the flew into Italy , how would they know if they had only traveled thru? 

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I suspected that the school may cancel. That makes things a bit easier for you. Give MSC a chance, they may still come through. Things are so dynamic I don't think cruise lines can keep up. Wishing you all the best! 

Thankyou, yes I’m really hoping they do, we’ve already lost a few thousand in other costs

• Like 1