Cruise Ship Denied in Caribbean Ports Coronavirus

tx121

The MSC Mergavilia was denied to port in Jamaica and Grand Caymen. This is very worrisome for anyone with a upcoming cruise. I'm not sure if the ports are worried because MSC caters to the European passengers and the recent spike in numbers of the Coronavirus in Italy. They will be allowed to port in Cozumel.

This will be very interesting to see what happens to the cruise industry if the Coronavirus effects the Caribbean ports and ships are not allowed to dock. Smh. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5790955/cruise-ship-coronavirus-jamaica-cayman-islands/%3famp=true

Edited by tx121
  • Like 2

Just an update on this story. Meraviglia is docked in Cozumel but authorities will not let anyone off the ship. They are apparently testing the crew member for Covid-19. Most people believe the ship will leave before the testing is complete in order to get to the next port (MSC’s private island). The captain announced that everyone will be getting a 100% refund. 

Edited by gmbhardy
Spelling
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Just an update on this story. Meraviglia is docked in Cozumel but authorities will not let anyone off the ship. They are apparently testing the crew member for Covid-19. Most people believe the ship will leave before the testing is complete in order to get to the next port (MSC’s private island). The captain announced that everyone will be getting a 100% refund. 

Good deal on the refund. I have a feeling a lot of people will be canceling their cruises over the next few months

2 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

100% refund for the entire cruise?  I thought the crew member had tested positive for the flu.  Can you post a link to the story please?  Thank you.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Yes, I'd like to see that particular update as well, please.  It wouldn't surprise though. MSC, being family owned and very independent, means it can tow the line easily when attempting to pacify it's customers.  I guess having a huge haulage company as back-up helps a lot. 

Cruised on Divina for New Years -2016-17 and loved our cruise.  

20 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

100% refund for the entire cruise?  I thought the crew member had tested positive for the flu.  Can you post a link to the story please?  Thank you.

Considering they didnt let them dock on 2 ports and in mexico they could but no going down the ship, 100% refund seems reasonable. Speaks well of MSC

2 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

Considering they didnt let them dock on 2 ports and in mexico they could but no going down the ship, 100% refund seems reasonable. Speaks well of MSC

Agree...quite a different approach to customer service than what NCL seems to be offering.  May cause me to take another look at MSC when all this mess passes over.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agree...quite a different approach to customer service than what NCL seems to be offering.  May cause me to take another look at MSC when all this mess passes over.

I had a cruise booked with MSC for the end of April. I cancelled due to virus and various scenarios/concerns.

MSC gave me my deposit back with no questions! They rock!

NCL has Customer Service issues./greedy terms.

JMO

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

Way to bury the lede. 🙂

They are docked in Cozumel right now according to marinetraffic. 

Cozumel is waiting for tests results to determine whether the ship will be allowed to disembark.  Will possibly take 12 hours.  So far MSC has been denied entry to Grand Cayman, Jamaica and now possibly Cozumel.