Virgin Voyages- No threat to Oceania

floridatravelersforlife

Had a chance to look at media  video reviews of the Scarlet Lady.  I have absolutely no interest in taking a cruise with them. It seems Virgin's airline management has taken an Airline approach to cruise travel.  Small everything, minimal space, basic comfort,  expensive.

The veranda cabin has no drawers or space for longer voyages,  just shelves.  Can't store stuff for longer cruises. No clearance for luggage under the bed.  The bed is basically a futon that converts to a bed at night.  The bathroom is tiny.  The veranda furniture consists of two chairs and a hammock.

I would rename the ship the MS IKIA.   The furniture in all public spaces is the spindly leggy pieces with little support or comfort.  I'll be happy to let the 18-50 year olds have the ship.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Had a chance to look at media  video reviews of the Scarlet Lady.  I have absolutely no interest in taking a cruise with them. It seems Virgin's airline management has taken an Airline approach to cruise travel.  Small everything, minimal space, basic comfort,  expensive.

The veranda cabin has no drawers or space for longer voyages,  just shelves.  Can't store stuff for longer cruises. No clearance for luggage under the bed.  The bed is basically a futon that converts to a bed at night.  The bathroom is tiny.  The veranda furniture consists of two chairs and a hammock.

I would rename the ship the MS IKIA.   The furniture in all public spaces is the spindly leggy pieces with little support or comfort.  I'll be happy to let the 18-50 year olds have the ship.  

Is there a link you can post?

I don't consider myself an 'older demographic'.   (will admit that the experience/vibe on Oceania might not be my first pick)

I was interested to see what Branson came up with.

A lot of epic misses!!!!  Ugggghhhh.

From what I have seen, I agree with the post above.

I would agree that they are no threat, since they are two very very different products/markets.

I just looked at a couple of their ads and think it looks fantastic. I'm too old for it but I'm betting it will be a success.

ETA: our daughters and their mates are in their early 40s. I'm guessing one couple would loathe cruising but the other would probably like it. Dump the kids and go have a great time.

Edited by clo

5 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

+1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

CC  has a review

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5124/

The the get go most people could see it was aimed at young   people with $$

I noticed a lot of older people booked thinking it will be great NO KIDS

Time will tell LOL

Thanks for the review. I still think it looks great! There are a heckuva lot of young people making a heckuva lot of money. (As just a little point of reference: our old house in SF with two bedrooms and two baths is realistically worth $2million.)

LTH28 thanks for posting the CC review.

Any of the premium lines are not a comparable to V - different customer focus.

Thought the tiny pool was strange, given V has many Caribbean itineraries.  It does look like an afterthought.

The variety of eating venues is appealing.

But no, not interested.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Might it likewise be said that many of the cruisers liking Virgin would have little interest in Oceania? Therefore:

Oceania Cruises: No treat to Virgin 

Completely two different markets.

A ship for  millennial's ....who have different values

• Like 1