Traveling with Meds

dwlmg

We were filling our prescriptions and asked if we could get them in smaller containers for travel. The answer was a better suggestion. Ask your pharmacist for a second set of labels when you fill a prescription. You can then affix that label to a small baggie and carry your pills that way. You can leave your pill bottles at home and still have the prescription label with you.

• Like 4

I posted the tip on another board and a nurse responded to some comments.  People say they put their meds in a weekly pill caddie and off they go.  The nurse pointed out that if you do that, in an emergency, there is no way for anyone to tell what you are taking. She went on that if you do use a pill caddie, tape a listing of what meds are in there to the lid of the caddie so someone can tell what you are taking if you are unable to tell them.

Also suggest using an app on your phone such as ColorNote to store a list of your meds on your phone.  That can be shared with medical personnel and comes in handy at Dr's office when having to fill out forms, etc.

I would just suggest that you check the regulations that any country you are travelling into has regarding bringing medicines into that country .

We are flying into New Zealand later in the year and they have very strict rules.

I will need either copies of my drug prescriptions  or dr's letter listing the drugs.

I also understand that each medication has to be in its original container with the chemist's label attached showing relevant details.

And take a picture of all meds with your phone.  You may well be away from the ship when an emergency comes up.

I would also have at least a week (or more) of medications with you. You just never know when you might be delayed.

And... I hate to even think I have to say this, but it does happen way too often... KEEP MEDS IN YOUR CARRYON and not your checked bags.

Not saying it could not be a problem, but New Zealand even though they sound quite restricted, it's very easy as long as you follow instructions and go to the desk where they simply ask you a question and send you on your way.  We even had a narcotic (my dentist sent it with me in the even a questionable tooth decided to cause me agony in the middle of the south pacific) and it was not an issue.  They did not ask us, nor did they look at any meds or proofs.  However, we were prepared. We had printouts from our doctors office, and pharmacy, as well as labels.  We took meds in daily pill boxes, and it was not an issue. I had a letter from the dentist explaining the narcotic.  Overkill we know, but we felt more secure, and I'd always recommend being over prepared.  

On 2/29/2020 at 9:58 AM, garycarla said:

And take a picture of all meds with your phone.  You may well be away from the ship when an emergency comes up.

Great tip! 

I keep a list on Google Drive, but easy-to-reach printed-out label pics can be much more informative.

Edited by SempreMare

Related question:  

I had my thyroid gland removed eons ago, and need a Synthroid pill daily. 

How could I find out who are the major manufacturers of Synthroid in England and Norway? 

When I was in Singapore last year, I tried to purchase a backup supply, but the pharmacist said they could only give it to me: 

1) The day before I traveled back to the US

2) With a script

He also said that he wouldn't recommend trying to get it because it's from a different manufacturer than that of the US and people react differently to synthroid from different manufacturers.

I have notebook APP on my iphone where I place all the important information. I even have all my illnesses and the ways to cure them lol. So I an ready for any incident. Coronavirus is not there yet but it wont be long before I also make a list of meds in my app to keep track of all the necessities. I wonder what medical cabs on board keep in case of such break outs on board

3 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Related question:  

I had my thyroid gland removed eons ago, and need a Synthroid pill daily. 

How could I find out who are the major manufacturers of Synthroid in England and Norway? 

When I was in Singapore last year, I tried to purchase a backup supply, but the pharmacist said they could only give it to me: 

1) The day before I traveled back to the US

2) With a script

He also said that he wouldn't recommend trying to get it because it's from a different manufacturer than that of the US and people react differently to synthroid from different manufacturers.

Two thoughts.  I would be less concerned with the manufacturers in a particular country as they may well import it from somewhere anyways.

And - though I know NOTHING about your medicine - my first thought is why not take at least a months supply more than the time you will be away from home.?

On 2/29/2020 at 7:58 AM, garycarla said:

I would also have at least a week (or more) of medications with you. You just never know when you might be delayed.

And... I hate to even think I have to say this, but it does happen way too often... KEEP MEDS IN YOUR CARRYON and not your checked bags.

We learned this from experience.  We did a Sydney to New Zealand cruise in 2016.  We stayed at the Holiday across the street from the ship.  We walked our luggage right up to the ship and watched a crew attach a luggage tag to the bag.  Needless to say we got on the ship and started to enjoy life.  We noticed no luggage in our room and the ship started to sail away.  We were starting to panic as my wife is a kidney transplant patient and the meds are her life.  We had to gone down to customer relations and there was a lot of luggage there but not ours.  Finally I noticed off in the corner our bags completely separated from all the others.  Needless to say were panicking.  My wife always brings double meds now.  Half in her luggage and half in her carryon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

My wife always brings double meds now.  Half in her luggage and half in her carryon.

My worry about keeping meds in checked luggage: 

What is the effect on the meds of high heat exposure that would occur while traveling? 

( I live in TX.  How hot does the luggage area get in spring - summer - fall? )  

Despite this worry, for the "if I lose my carry-on where my 'fresh' meds are" scenario:

I still keep

- Old thyroid meds in my suitcase as a hopefully BTN solution (Better Than Nothing),  fully realizing that they might be barely BTN.

- OTC meds like Advil in caplet form not liquid form since I perceive this would be more stable in extreme temps

On 3/5/2020 at 8:20 AM, garycarla said:

my first thought is why not take at least a months supply more than the time you will be away from home.?

100% agree with the 1 month supply.  That's exactly what I am trying to do.