We just boarded the Seaside

jimmyjackson

We got to the port around 11am. We are staying in an inside YC room, the process was great getting on the ship. I thought it might be delayed or take longer with everything going on but we were in the waiting area for maybe 15 minutes before boarding the ship. 

They are checking passports along with the thermal scan and a health form to fill out. There was an Italian couple that came to the YC tent right after us and I heard the attendant tell a coworker that they weren’t allowing people with an Italian passport to board the ship due to the Coronavirus outbreak in Italy. They sent them to a different area, I haven’t seen them onboard yet so not sure what happened to them. 

I can also confirm chocolate martinis and gelato at Venchi are still included with YC. Mini bar is also fully stocked. This is my first time with MSC and an experience like YC. Great initial impressions and experience. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jimmyjackson said:

We got to the port around 11am. We are staying in an inside YC room, the process was great getting on the ship. I thought it might be delayed or take longer with everything going on but we were in the waiting area for maybe 15 minutes before boarding the ship. 

They are checking passports along with the thermal scan and a health form to fill out. There was an Italian couple that came to the YC tent right after us and I heard the attendant tell a coworker that they weren’t allowing people with an Italian passport to board the ship due to the Coronavirus outbreak in Italy. They sent them to a different area, I haven’t seen them onboard yet so not sure what happened to them. 

I can also confirm chocolate martinis and gelato at Venchi are still included with YC. Mini bar is also fully stocked. This is my first time with MSC and an experience like YC. Great initial impressions and experience. 

Dear Jimmyjackson,

Please let us know how your week progresses.  We are booked to leave 3 weeks from today, and are anxious about the entire cruising situation in the news.  We love the YC and you will enjoy it tremendously.  Please keep all of us informed when you have time.🙂

13 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Also in the YC on the Seaside

Was told 300+ people from Italy were not permitted to board today due to new restrictions in place

That would totally suck feel bad for them

Someone on another board was wondering what happens if you are on not allowed to embark.  Were these 300 people refunded their money, helped with hotels, etc?  I believe the new MSC policy is to not allow Italians from some of regions in Italy and it stated that on their new restrictions, so I guess the Italian passengers should have known.  I believe I saw something from the US state department cautioning Americans who go to Italy to not count on the US government's assistance if they are quarantined in Italy.

4 minutes ago, lottsomom said:

We are at a hotel right now looking at the seaside and wondering why it's still docked. We are heading out on the Meraviglia tomorrow. Is it due to extra screening of passengers?

I think it sails at 7 PM out of Miami, our cruise does anyway

1 hour ago, lottsomom said:

We are at a hotel right now looking at the seaside and wondering why it's still docked. We are heading out on the Meraviglia tomorrow. Is it due to extra screening of passengers?

The sailing time does seem to vary from 5:00 to 7:00.  No idea why.  When I sailed on Meraviglia on January 5th, the all aboard time was 4:30.  The daily program stated a sailaway party at 7:00.  That's when we sailed.  So, obviously, the sailing time had been decided by the Captain prior to the printing of the daily program.

I would have preferred to sail from Miami in daylight for sightseeing purposes.  Sailing after dark still was interesting to see the lights of the Port and the city.  

5 hours ago, jimmyjackson said:

On Mera in Venchi no drinks were ncluded with our Premium Plus Package. Staff said it was because they were franchised. 

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The sailing time does seem to vary from 5:00 to 7:00.  No idea why.  When I sailed on Meraviglia on January 5th, the all aboard time was 4:30.  The daily program stated a sailaway party at 7:00.  That's when we sailed.  So, obviously, the sailing time had been decided by the Captain prior to the printing of the daily program.

I would have preferred to sail from Miami in daylight for sightseeing purposes.  Sailing after dark still was interesting to see the lights of the Port and the city.  

I would guess the Port Authority has a lot to do with the times ships are set to depart. Miami is so busy, I'm sure it takes a while to get all of those ships out on really busy turnover days.

11 minutes ago, puglady12 said:

I’ll be boarding the Seaside March 7 with my hubby and two kids. Hubby is using his birth certificate and not a passport. We did that in May with no problem. Hope it’s ok this time! 

May I suggest that you be a bit proactive and make certain that it is this time before you arrive at the Port?

1 hour ago, Talex831 said:

I would guess the Port Authority has a lot to do with the times ships are set to depart. Miami is so busy, I'm sure it takes a while to get all of those ships out on really busy turnover days.

I remember that we left around 7:00 when we sailed last year.

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Where are you sailing? MSC is not letting Italians on board? 300 plus people are too many to come from those quarantined towns in Italy. It would be nice if you could post anything you learn about this situation. Thank you!

The itinerary is Caribbean for one week.

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Someone on another board was wondering what happens if you are on not allowed to embark.  Were these 300 people refunded their money, helped with hotels, etc?  I believe the new MSC policy is to not allow Italians from some of regions in Italy and it stated that on their new restrictions, so I guess the Italian passengers should have known.  I believe I saw something from the US state department cautioning Americans who go to Italy to not count on the US government's assistance if they are quarantined in Italy.

On another board one of the denied passengers said they were refunded only costs related to the cruise. Their airfare was booked on their own and they are stuck with that.

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Where are you sailing? MSC is not letting Italians on board? 300 plus people are too many to come from those quarantined towns in Italy. It would be nice if you could post anything you learn about this situation. Thank you!

It’s more than those select towns. On another board a passenger from Sardinia reported being  denied boarding. I think it might be all of Italy. I’m seeing a rumor posted that islands in the Caribbean will not let a ship dock if there are Italian (and I assume Chinese) passengers on board.