Oysters

Christine4

I can't speak to the Splendor, but to my knowledge, Regent ships don't serve uncooked shellfish. I know you can get steamed mussels and the Chipino (sp?) in Sette Mari has small clams, mussels, etc., but I don't ever recall seeing oysters, either cooked like Rockefeller or on the half shell. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, I'd LOVE some oysters on the half shell, but I haven't run across that yet.

I saw oysters on Explorer in January in the Caribbean.  They were part of the Sunday brunch.  They were on the half shell on top of the seafood buffet.  

I love oysters.  But, I resisted.  I like to know exactly where they were harvested and how they were handled.  There is lots of good food aboard.  Sometimes it's best to keep moving past the display.

I love Oysters my self, but they really have to be fresh (which I'm sure Regent wouldn't service anything otherwise).  Oysters however if you get a bad one (WOW) and they carry more bad things than other food.  If you had a liver transplant your doctor will tell you never eat them ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christine4 said:

You guys are saying all these bad things about oysters, I think you just want to scare people away..so you have them all your self

(That was a joke) 😏😁😉

I agree!!  We were on the Explorer last Spring and they had oysters on the half shell at the brunch.  They were fabulous, as was the caviar.

17 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yeah, but they're cooked, aren't they?

Yes, of course. The OP asked a generic question about availability of oysters. She didn’t specify raw or cooked. 

I just reviewed my photos of the Explorer sea day brunch last April and didn’t find any oysters. That doesn’t mean much considering I didn’t take pictures of all service stations. 

They were on the half shell.  Thinking about it, they had a solid pale color to them.  I would have bet that they had been steamed.  They didn't have that translucent look of a freshly shucked raw oyster.  I didn't take one down to examine it closely because I wouldn't have eaten it anyway.

It was served on day 8 of a 10 day cruise.  If they were boarded fresh, I think they were a little long in the tooth to eat raw.  I've lived in New Orleans.  I know what a high quality, fresh oyster should taste and look like.  This has made me a picky oyster consumer.  When I mean fresh, I mean they came out of the water the afternoon they were being eaten.  I will state that the month had an "R" in it.  They passed that test.