Venice is an issue this coming summer?

3 hours ago, DaiC01 said:

Last I saw there were about 260 case in Singapore, and the first one was not long after the story broke  out of China.

It seems the cases here are either people travelling in from affected are or direct contact with those travelling in.

6 weeks and only 260 cases doesn't represent the rapid spread as for example in Northern Italy.

But I could be wrong but I would rather listen to an expert.

singapore is very small.   It also has a highly compliant population in terms of laws.   The ability to border control along with the small size makes it easier to contain.  Also, I am not sure how agressive there testing is.   The US has very few cases (70 and a big chunk of those are repatriation or Diamond Princess).  We have only started uncovering more cases when we expanded our screening of corona.   

I sincerely hope that it is due to the heat that HK and Singapore numbers are lower than south Korea’s or China’s, but I somehow doubt that,  but we can hope.  HK and Singapore have a much smaller area and border to control and that can make all the difference in containment.

4 hours ago, kernow said:

Singapore has 106 cases. We were supposed to be on the cancelled 15/02 Quantum cruise so I was closely following the situation there since late Jan. I think it  is generally agreed that the reason there has not been such a rapid spread there is because of the strict measures the government has put in place and the generally compliant nature of their citizens. This article gives a good explanation.

https://fortune.com/2020/02/28/singapore-coronavirus-contained-response/

So you choose to accept  a financial web site with no self interest  (really) over a scientist who specializes in this type of out break.  I predict due to the financial impact that every (commercially aware)  country will start to down play the severity of this. 

It was politically convenient to attack China over this but I think it has backfired and every one will role back.

Edited by DaiC01

On 2/29/2020 at 1:13 PM, sunbrookgal said:

With  travel restrictions now expanding to the Italian regions of Emilia-Romagna, Lombardy and Veneto. As documented on the RCL web page. Will RCL be looking to move Venice off the port list and redirect? 

What month is your cruise to Italy?

Edited by Justalone

15 hours ago, mek said:

Curious about heat killing the virus - 28 in celsius is like 82 fahrenheit.  So wondering how will air conditioning impact that?  Around here most people keep their houses and businesses around 70 or below in the summer.

Many European countries hardly ever get up to 28 degrees, so it could possibly continue through summer?

My apologies, I miss quoted the article it actually states 26/27 degrees and yes its Celsius, I live in Europe and most countries in Southern Europe are usually in the 30's in the summer {Venice is defiantly.)

I accept your point about aircon etc.

13 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

My apologies, I miss quoted the article it actually states 26/27 degrees and yes its Celsius, I live in Europe and most countries in Southern Europe are usually in the 30's in the summer {Venice is defiantly.)

I accept your point about aircon etc.

I wasn't trying to debate your points.  At this time nobody seems to know if it will die off in the summer.  I was just curious about the affects of air conditioning on this particular virus.  It doesn't seem to matter with regular flu/colds - they tend to die off in the warmer months but this one may be different.

• Like 1

Dunno, the article's advice seems incredibly specific when the rest of the world's scientists are scratching their heads.  Personally, I'd wait for more of a consensus to come out from several scientists.

Edited by mpk

36 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Probably a stupid questions, but does a Level 4 mean no travel is allowed to the area or just a big warning to avoid the area.

it’s just an advisory, so travel still allowed, but a very strong warning:

Level 4: This is the most severe travel advisory. Travelers are advised not to go to countries that fall under this advisory. This is due to the greater chance of life-threatening risks, the State Department said. The U.S. government also warns that during an emergency, its capacity to help citizens abroad could be severely limited

15 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Mark-UK,Thanks for the info. But I see you are from the UK. So is this a Level 4  as determined by the UK government? Does it also apply to citizens of other countries? 

hey, that’s actually from the US state department so is for US citizens . The UK advice at the moment is less stringent:

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to 10 small towns in Lombardy (Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano) and one in Veneto (Vo’ Euganeo), which have been isolated by the Italian authorities due to an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19).

• Like 1

So not just Venice but all of Italy now.

Until further notice, ships in the Royal Caribbean International fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols:

1. Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to:

a. Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Macau, China, Iran, South Korea, and Italy in the past 15 days

Edited by TRUEBLUE66
spelling

On 3/1/2020 at 11:36 PM, rimmit said:

singapore is very small.   It also has a highly compliant population in terms of laws.   The ability to border control along with the small size makes it easier to contain.  Also, I am not sure how agressive there testing is.   The US has very few cases (70 and a big chunk of those are repatriation or Diamond Princess).  We have only started uncovering more cases when we expanded our screening of corona.   

I sincerely hope that it is due to the heat that HK and Singapore numbers are lower than south Korea’s or China’s, but I somehow doubt that,  but we can hope.  HK and Singapore have a much smaller area and border to control and that can make all the difference in containment.

Guys, that the US supposedly has only a few cases I hope no one really is that naive to belive that. Rest assured that the US has several 1000 cases. Same as any other country where the cases are significantly higher than shown on all these statistics. We also do know to little really about this virus and the whole counting methods which are applied differently by countries. Every year approximately 1 Million peope are dying from the "Influenza" (Flu) worldwide, this whole panic about Corona which is causing such a chaos worldwide has to be taken very serious, especially as it spreads very fast, but at the end it is a comination of a flu and a indivual with a healthy immune system might even barely feel any symptoms.

By end of April this virus will likely be under control simmilar to the "Flu" and things will hopefully go back to normal and by latest in May/ June there should be no reason why cruises cannot operate safely from Italy.

Edited by LXA350

12 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

By end of April this virus will likely be under control simmilar to the "Flu" and things will hopefully go back to normal and by latest in May/ June there should be no reason why cruises cannot operate safely from Italy.

I would love if you were correct but the numbers infected in Europe are climbing each day. How do you expect it to be ‘under control’ in weeks?

12 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

This is complete speculation.  We can only hope that is the case but there is no data to refute or confirm this will disappear when it is warmer at this time.  I truly hope that is the case though.  

Eventually when this is a pandemic cruises will have to cruise regardless of viral load in a country otherwise they won’t cruise at all.

On 3/1/2020 at 4:25 PM, DaiC01 said:

Extract from the article:

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!
THE SYMPTOMS
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention."

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/03/05/uncle-coronavirus/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Guys, that the US supposedly has only a few cases I hope no one really is that naive to belive that. Rest assured that the US has several 1000 cases. Same as any other country where the cases are significantly higher than shown on all these statistics. We also do know to little really about this virus and the whole counting methods which are applied differently by countries. Every year approximately 1 Million peope are dying from the "Influenza" (Flu) worldwide, this whole panic about Corona which is causing such a chaos worldwide has to be taken very serious, especially as it spreads very fast, but at the end it is a comination of a flu and a indivual with a healthy immune system might even barely feel any symptoms.

Not being funny, however, what are your qualifications, expertise, hunches, to make such statements? LOL

I only know of one man who is such a know-it-all. LOL

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Not being funny, however, what are your qualifications, expertise, hunches, to make such statements? LOL

I only know of one man who is such a know-it-all. LOL

What I said above has more to do with common sense and general knowledge, unless somoeone in Washington who tries to hide the fact this is just reality. Look at the size of Italy compared to the US, if they have so many cases you really believe that there are almost no cases there. Same if you look at the cases in Russia, of course the reality is much higer.

So Italy announcing a lockdown in Northern region of Lombardy and Veneto (Venice) until at least April 3. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/italy-quarantine-lombardy-coronavirus-a4381301.html%3famp

"In all the areas covered by the decree, including towns in the northern regions of Emilia-Romagna, Veneto and Piedmont, schools will be closed at least until April 3, all museums, gyms and swimming pools will be also shut and leave is cancelled for all health care workers"

Edited by Mark_UK

I'd be shocked if things are back to normal in time for our Rhapsody cruise from Venice on May 9.  We planned it a year ago to celebrate our daughter graduating from college.  Bummer, but praying the folks in Italy recover and the cases start to decline soon.