Embark and disembark on a Royal Princess and seasickness in Pacific?

jp2746

This is our first Princess cruise and I have a couple of questions. 

This is our first cruise going to the Mexican Riviera.  We have gone to the Caribbean many times and I have never had seasickness issues.  I was wondering if that may be an issue in the Pacific?  I have patches but I have never had to use them in the Atlantic or Caribbean.  Our cabin is on Deck 8, midship.  

My other question is about embarking and disembarking.

On our cruise documents, it says that embarking starts at 12:30 and we leave around 4:00.  Is 12:30 the time that we are to board the ship or is that the time at everyone starts to board the ship?  If we show up at 11:00, will we be able to board or will we just be sitting and waiting until 12:30?  We are "ocean ready" and have our medallions. 

Finally, what time do we have to leave the ship when we return?  I was thinking about leaving about 9:00 so that we can have a nice breakfast and not feel rushed.  Is this acceptable? 

TIA! 

21 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

This is our first cruise going to the Mexican Riviera.  We have gone to the Caribbean many times and I have never had seasickness issues.  I was wondering if that may be an issue in the Pacific?  I have patches but I have never had to use them in the Atlantic or Caribbean.  Our cabin is on Deck 8, midship.  

On our cruise documents, it says that embarking starts at 12:30 and we leave around 4:00.  Is 12:30 the time that we are to board the ship or is that the time at everyone starts to board the ship?  If we show up at 11:00, will we be able to board or will we just be sitting and waiting until 12:30?  We are "ocean ready" and have our medallions. 

Finally, what time do we have to leave the ship when we return?  I was thinking about leaving about 9:00 so that we can have a nice breakfast and not feel rushed.  Is this acceptable? 

TIA! 

Have sailed the Royal/Regal multiple times.

They are the biggest for Princess.

They are pretty stable for the mot part but they can move around pretty good depending on the seas which there is no way to predict.

The 12:30 time is a suggestion unless you had specific information on drills/inspections/ NORO cleaning etc.

We always arrive around 10:30. Boarding usually starts by Noon but can start around 11:00.

The earlier you arrive the earlier group you will be in.

We are just off the Emerald Princess from to LA to Hawaii and French Polynesia, this was our first time in the Pacific. For us the seas did not feel too bad, although we had up to force 9 some days. We found compared to smaller ships we had sailed on in other areas, there was not a huge amount of movement. However, we overheard another passenger saying they were glad we were passed the terrible rough weather & it was the first time they had been sea sick in over 50 cruises, so it's really an individual thing. The promenade deck and the pools were closed a few times. 

44 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

TIA! 

We just did this cruise on the Royal and the seas were very calm. We did have a little movement the evening after Puerto Vallarta but it was very subtle, nothing you would need patches for. Boarding started at about 11:30, it was super easy with the medallion. 

The last group to disembark I think was around 9:30 so 9:00 should be no problem. Both the dining room and Horizon court will be open. Self walk off started at 7:20 and there were a lot of people doing it. This was by far the best crew we have ever had on a Princess cruise. Enjoy! 

I've done the Mexico several times and have felt motion once the ship heads north back up to San Pedro.  Some times worse than others.  You have chosen a good cabin location and should be okay.  Last year I was on Emerald deck midship and was fine.

Thanks! Now all I have to worry about is that I just heard on the news that the government may restrict travel between Mexico and US because of Covid-19.  If they divert and go to Hawaii instead I would be okay with that.  😉 

34 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Thanks! Now all I have to worry about is that I just heard on the news that the government may restrict travel between Mexico and US because of Covid-19.  If they divert and go to Hawaii instead I would be okay with that.  😉 

They might just go out really far and make a great big circle for a cruise to nowhere. :classic_biggrin::classic_tongue:

19 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

They might just go out really far and make a great big circle for a cruise to nowhere. :classic_biggrin::classic_tongue:

I understood that humor was intended, but used to be that cruise ships would head out for a 3-4 night and circle around Guadalupe Island, then come back to L. A.  Just saying I hope this is not the future of cruise travel.

As to OP's post, not possible to make Hawaii/LA RT in a week's time at cruise ship speed.

Generally, you will have calmer seas than the Atlantic. Though we have run into weather and high seas, LA to Hawaii and no joke there, I assure you! Bring your patches or OTC antihistamine if you can tolerate them.  The ship's store sells them, but pricey. Always best to anticipate and have a plan.

You mention Royal so presume you are embarking from San Pedro. Traffic can be horrible.  Best to arrive early and avoid stress.

Disembarkation?  Princess will give you a disembarkation time based on your connections mid-cruise.  These can be adjusted at the business desk on the ship.  Disembarkation is a well-oiled machine on Princess.

23 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I've done the Mexico several times and have felt motion once the ship heads north back up to San Pedro.  Some times worse than others.  You have chosen a good cabin location and should be okay.  Last year I was on Emerald deck midship and was fine.

We sailed to and from Mexico a couple dozen times, including sailings on the Crown class ships (such as the Emerald), Grand Class ships and Royal Class ships, as well as on other cruise lines.  I can tell you that we never even felt as though we were on a ship when on the Royal Princess.  She is as stable as they come!!  I can't say the same for the Grand and Crown class ships.  

To the OP, we also book midship on deck 8 ... love the location and the lack of any movement.  I'm not saying it is impossible ... but, that is a perfect location for less movement.  

Seas should be fine heading south. The return trip can occasionally be a bit more bumpy, but not horrible. 

In November, we arrived at the port at around 10:45, and were sitting in the atrium sipping drinks by 11:30. Smoothest embarkation ever.

Kayla

Having sailed this route many times, on the return to San Pedro, it can get quite bouncy.

Last April while onboard the motion was awful, but we were in the 100 section in the bow.  However,  when in the same cabin in October, same route, no motion at all, but 90% of the time it’s been rough for at least a day or two over the last dozen or so cruises we’ve taken.   Definitely rougher than in the Caribbean.     

On 3/3/2020 at 8:14 AM, mtnesterz said:

I understood that humor was intended, but used to be that cruise ships would head out for a 3-4 night and circle around Guadalupe Island, then come back to L. A.  Just saying I hope this is not the future of cruise travel.

As to OP's post, not possible to make Hawaii/LA RT in a week's time at cruise ship speed.

Generally, you will have calmer seas than the Atlantic. Though we have run into weather and high seas, LA to Hawaii and no joke there, I assure you! Bring your patches or OTC antihistamine if you can tolerate them.  The ship's store sells them, but pricey. Always best to anticipate and have a plan.

You mention Royal so presume you are embarking from San Pedro. Traffic can be horrible.  Best to arrive early and avoid stress.

Disembarkation?  Princess will give you a disembarkation time based on your connections mid-cruise.  These can be adjusted at the business desk on the ship.  Disembarkation is a well-oiled machine on Princess.

Can you recommend an alternate place to park at San Pedro? We've a large group with a lot of vehicles and would prefer to avoid the ridiculous parking fees.

3 hours ago, Remus said:

Can you recommend an alternate place to park at San Pedro? We've a large group with a lot of vehicles and would prefer to avoid the ridiculous parking fees.

I do not know of any alternative parking and I wouldn't leave my car in that neighborhood for days anyway. Nor do I know of a park and ride service. We take a van shuttle.  I believe each van seats eight, but they might offer a bus too. The two main shuttle companies serving the World Cruise Terminal are the red and blue color vans. We prefer the blue. Search Cruise Port Transportation or World Cruise Terminal Shuttle for their numbers.  Hope that helps.

Edited by mtnesterz

I live in Southern California and have been on at least a dozen Mexican Rivera cruises on multiple lines. I have never experienced any rough seas in either direction. I find that cruises from Florida, where you have to cross the currents of the gulf stream, are much more rough. You'll be fine. 

We’ve done 5 MR cruises and for the most, they have been very smooth sailings. The one exception was on the Ruby after departing Cabo for the long run back to San Pedro. It was a little windy that afternoon and we were in the 10 block on Caribe deck. 

It does tend to be a lot calmer Southbound as you follow the current as it moves down the coast from Alaska and slightly less calm on the return North as you sail against the current.