Best way to sight see Bermuda...

CRocks

We have 2 days in Bermuda late May. We'd like to spend the first sight seeing the entire area + the next at a beach. Prefer not to book an excursion, any suggestions for getting around the first day? TIA

4 minutes ago, CRocks said:

We have 2 days in Bermuda late May. We'd like to spend the first sight seeing the entire area + the next at a beach. Prefer not to book an excursion, any suggestions for getting around the first day? TIA

If you want to get a good overview of Bermuda in comfort of a private vehicle I'd suggest a Blue Flag taxi tour. Blue Flag drivers are certified tour guides. For 1-4 passengers the hourly rate per vehicle  (not per passenger) is $50, with a minimum of three hours. Probably 4 hours is the minimum I would do for a reasonable full island tour.  For 5 - 7 passengers in the taxi the hourly rate. is $70. There's a long thread on this board where people give recommendations of drivers . As the thread was started years ago it's best to only read the last year or two's posts. Many of the drivers in the older posts are no longer working.

An alternative is using the public bus and ferry system, but no one will be telling you what you're looking at. Where will your ship be docked and on what dates? The availability of public transit is less on weekends than on weekdays, with one major ferry route not running at all on weekends and other ferry and bus routes having less frequent service.

Check out some Bermuda guide books, determine what you want to see and where you wan to go and get a 2 day bus/ferry pass for about $30 and go to "where ever" and stay as long as you'd like.  The bus system in Bermuda is very easy to use and routes will take you to just about everywhere. We've done that and left fairly early in the AM, had lunch somewhere on the island and returned to the ship in time for dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

I can recommend calling Arthur Wade, the Calypso Cowboy.  (441-300-8290} .  His phone number is on his website.

We met him last summer on the pier, after disembarking from the Gem, and he gave the 4 of us a wonderful tour of places where many locals go.  Not necessarily tourist trap places.

I don't remember how much we paid for a two hour tour, but it was reasonable.  Arthur's narration was amazing.  When we return, we'll probable contact him again.  You can tell him that Nahoumi & Jones from Massachusetts recommend him.  He may remember us.

• 4 months later...

renting a scooter for your stay is a GREAT* way to explore/get around.

I flew in a couple of years ago and rented a scooter for my 4 day stay. it was a lot of fun*.

*be aware it can be very dangerous. Bermuda is left side drive and roads are narrow with limited lines of sight. I came within 2 seconds of death by cement truck; within 10 minutes. 

Edited by MSUjohn

renting a scooter for your stay is a GREAT* way to explore/get around.

I flew in a couple of years ago and rented a scooter for my 4 day stay. it was a lot of fun*.

*be aware it can be very dangerous. Bermuda is left side drive and roads are narrow with limited lines of sight. I came within 2 seconds of death by cement truck; within 10 minutes. 

Other tourists have not been as lucky as you. They have died or hurt themselves badly. There is now a safer alternative that is less dangerous for getting around for those who don’t want to use public transportation, taxis or minibuses. Two seater electric mini cars have become available for rent. There are several types and some have airbags. While I have read about tourists getting killed on scooters almost every year... so far I have not read about deaths or serious injuries to mini car renters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Other tourists have not been as lucky as you. They have died or hurt themselves badly. There is now a safer alternative that is less dangerous for getting around for those who don’t want to use public transportation, taxis or minibuses. Two seater electric mini cars have become available for rent. There are several types and some have airbags. While I have read about tourists getting killed on scooters almost every year... so far I have not read about deaths or serious injuries to mini car renters.

the deaths on scooters (and my almost death) are probably all  from collisions with (normal sized) motor vehicles,  as a result of said left hand side drive, short lines of sight and narrow roads.

I doubt the twizzy electric carts offer anymore protection than the scooter. I don't think there has been a lot of electric car deaths because they (the twizzys) are probably still fairly rare.

that said the scooter is a fun way to see the island...risk and all.

My only comment on scooters: On my last Bermuda cruise, there were more crutches and wheelchairs returning from Bermuda, then there were going. 

Also noticed quite a few ambulance visits to the ship while we were docked.

My only comment on scooters: On my last Bermuda cruise, there were more crutches and wheelchairs returning from Bermuda, then there were going. 

Also noticed quite a few ambulance visits to the ship while we were docked.

I saw the same on my 15 or so visits. I also have a friend who broke her pelvis in a Bermuda scooter fiasco.

like I said, it is dangerous, but riding a scooter is fun, and the mobility they offer is hard to match. to me, life swaddled  in bubble wrap is not life lived. 

broken pelvis.....ouch.

like I said, it is dangerous, but riding a scooter is fun, and the mobility they offer is hard to match. to me, life swaddled  in bubble wrap is not life lived. 

broken pelvis.....ouch.

You mentioned collisions but most of the scooter accidents are not striking other vehicles. So I don’t agree that the same outcome would happen renting Twizzys. That said I personally won’t rent the Twizzys either. Driving on Bermuda roads is not something I desire to do on vacation when Bermuda has a pretty good transportation system. Last year in August when we docked in St. George’s and Hamilton we took taxis everywhere. Could have done the bus but I am not in saving pennies mode anymore. That reminds me a lady on the sailing broke her hip. She didn’t have a collision.

On 7/28/2020 at 6:59 PM, Charles4515 said:

Driving on Bermuda roads is not something I desire to do on vacation when Bermuda has a pretty good transportation system. Last year in August when we docked in St. George’s and Hamilton we took taxis everywhere.

Makes having that extra last swizzle a little more fun too. 

I agree wholeheartedly with you-- we spend a a lot of time on the island and the rental scooters are just bad news. They might be better if they didn't have their speeds limited but the ones a tourist can get their hands on barely go half the speed of a similar scooter thats owned by a resident. Everyone and everything is just blowing by you-- nothing enjoyable about it. We just stick to taxis as well. 

I've rented scooters and the Twizy. While pricey--the twizy is hands down the better bet for a tourist in my opinion.

Locals do not treat tourists on scooters particularly well on the roads. They pass you, honk at you, and in general make an already nervous driver worse!!

Driving the Twizy is very easy--it works much like a golf cart. It is a vehicle on the road, and it treated as such. In addition, it can go off road (some beaches are off the beaten path and the Twizy travels well to these locations). I found driving the Twizy to be a much better driving experience as a tourist. You can easily have a passenger as well--making it more reasonable. The staff at Twizy are careful and diligent to ensure each driver knows fully how to safely operate the vehicle. They book up fast, so if you are interested, book early!! There are tons of charging sites throughout the island, and the gauges clearly monitor the charge. You can easily travel all day on one charge.

I highly recommend the Twizy. They are great fun to drive. That said, I'd rent a scooter again, but I have many, many years experience and fully understand and agree with most people's hesitancy to rent them!