Cruise in 2 weeks - Family pressuring me to cancel due to COVID-19

Kulaid05

16 minutes ago, Loreni said:

19 crew!  I read an article about the Diamond quarantine that said sick crew were sharing cabins with healthy crew DURING the quarantine.  What?  I hope this in not happening on the Grand.

On CNN now.

Dr.Faci warned  elderly, and those with underlying health conditions to avoid crowds, that also includes cruises. High fatality risk..

Passenger and crew to be quarantined at military bases.

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Justalone said:

V.P. Pence just announced so far, 2 passengers and 19 crew members tested positive for Civid 19.  Does not look like the Grand will be allowed to dock in San Francisco anytime soon.

Not good. It needs to find a port and all passengers will need to be tested. This could take days.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Justalone said:

On CNN now.

Dr.Faci warned  elderly, and those with underlying health conditions to avoid crowds, that also includes cruises. High fatality risk..

Passenger and crew to be quarantined at military bases.

The other cruise lines need to follow Princess' lead and stop this nonsense....these ships are floating incubators for COVID19 according to experts.

Two words to consider......Grand Princess.

Latest news is that a total 21 crew and passengers tested positive for the Corona virus. 

Question remains as to what will happen to the 3000+ passengers on the ship. Will they be quarantined at a nearby military base ? No info on that issue yet.

You, your mother or daughter may not become ill on the cruise you have planned. But, would you want to be quarantined in an area away from home because others on the ship are infected?

Perhaps your ex husband is considering the ramifications of taking a cruise at this time. Particularly, a situation for your daughter that could be less than ideal if she is kept away from school for at least two weeks.

Of course, you will make the final decision. Considering all factors involved, I hope you make the decision that is right for you.

4 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

IMHO one cannot live one's life catering to other's fears.  The Coronavirus is generally not fatal.  I  personally would go.

Well said but a real pain would be being quarantined in your cabin for 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, Sunwanabe said:

Not good. It needs to find a port and all passengers will need to be tested. This could take days.

Heard on the ABC News tonight that it will dock at an unspecified non-commercial port and all the passengers will head off to a military base for quarantine. Don't recall any mention of what is going to happen to the crew.  

2 hours ago, CelticMCO said:

Mere minutes or days away from the US Government shutting the whole industry down for at least a month...

It would be a positive move in my opinion.  So many countries refusing port entry to cruise ships.

11 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Heard on the ABC News tonight that it will dock at an unspecified non-commercial port and all the passengers will head off to a military base for quarantine. Don't recall any mention of what is going to happen to the crew.  

Point Magu in Ventura County?  600 miles (24 hours) by sea from SF.

10 hours ago, Kulaid05 said:

With all the news about the COVID-19 virus, my ex- and his family family is pressuring me to cancel our Princess Cruise in 2 weeks.  I am going with my Mother and my 15yr old daughter.  I have been on 5 cruises and my mother has been on 10 - MOST 10-14 day cruises.  I have never been sick and my mom has only been sick when she returned - Never on the cruise.  I do not want to cancel.  My family - including my EX-mother in law is calling to see if we are going to cancel.  My ex-husband doesn't think its a good idea.  I just don't know what to do.  We are going to the Caribbean and I have been planning this for over a year.   - Thanks BAK

Based on today's Grand Princess news and the new cancellation policy I would not go.  Just my two cents worth.

• Like 1

Wow, this thread has spun out of control. The world has gone crazy. This is not ebola. There are.certain demo groups that should be more concerned but for the vast majority of people, the risk is very low. If every ship was tested for the flu, norovirus, or some other disease you'd probably get 21 out of 2500 on any given ship. 

In 2009 and 2010, over 61 MILLION people got H1N1 in the US. Over 21, 000 died. I don't remember this kind of hysteria. They weren't testing cruisers then but if they had, they probably would have found cases.

Everyone can do what they are comfortable with, but use common sense, facts, and stop the wild speculations. Just my two cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Point Magu in Ventura County?  600 miles (24 hours) by sea from SF.

Looks like Grand is heading east into San Francisco Bay area.  Time will tell.

26 minutes ago, travelhound said:

In 2009 and 2010, over 61 MILLION people got H1N1 in the US. Over 21, 000 died. I don't remember this kind of hysteria. They weren't testing cruisers then but if they had, they probably would have found cases.

Everyone can do what they are comfortable with, but use common sense, facts, and stop the wild speculations. Just my two cents.

To inject some facts, those numbers give a mortality rate of .0344%. As of today there were about 100K known cases of cornavirus from which there has been 3100 fatalities which is a 3.4% mortality rate.  Thats a 100x difference in mortality, which in my opinion is significant.

If I was cruising soon, I would be concerned too. My major fear would not be actually contracting the virus, but the fall out if an outbreak occurred on the ship I was on. Being turned away from ports, potential ship quarantine and then a potential additional quarantine before I could return home after being able to leave the ship. 

According to the special I saw tonight, this virus has can live from 2 hours to 9 days on open surfaces, which means it can be active for quite a while after an infected person has passed through an area. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, drowelf said:

To inject some facts, those numbers give a mortality rate of .0344%. As of today there were about 100K known cases of cornavirus from which there has been 3100 fatalities which is a 3.4% mortality rate.  Thats a 100x difference in mortality, which in my opinion is significant.

If I was cruising soon, I would be concerned too. My major fear would not be actually contracting the virus, but the fall out if an outbreak occurred on the ship I was on. Being turned away from ports, potential ship quarantine and then a potential additional quarantine before I could return home after being able to leave the ship. 

According to the special I saw tonight, this virus has can live from 2 hours to 9 days on open surfaces, which means it can be active for quite a while after an infected person has passed through an area. 

It's like playing Russian Roulette on the high seas. 

• Like 1

I’m curious if your ex had an issue with the cruise before all of this COVID19 stuff began? If he has been reasonable up to this point, you may consider how you would feel if the tables were turned and you had concerns about a trip he was planning with your daughter and he still took her against your wishes. I personally would have a very hard time keeping an amicable coparenting relationship if my child’s other parent disregarded me and took them into a situation where I was worried they may get sick or quarantined.

Whether or not to cancel a trip you’ve been excited about is a tough decision and I wish you the best whatever you decide. 

Edited by BballinQT24
  • Like 3

I saw a doctor talk about the mortality rate and he said very few people have been tested at this point so the mortality rate is much higher in the early stages of an outbreak. That makes sense. Only the sickest people, the ones more prone to death, are being tested and the people with very mild symptoms aren't even tested (unless they are forced to from a cruise). Some locations like South Korea have a very low death rate, all based on tested people.

I'm not explaining it very well, but this info from Business Insider explains it better.

"The death rate from the new coronavirus is higher in the US so far than anywhere else in the world. The rate, a basic calculation that divides the number of known deaths by the total number of confirmed cases, was about 6% in the US as of Friday morning. Fourteen Americans have died out of less than 250 confirmed cases.

South Korea, which has the second-highest number of cases outside China, has a death rate that's one-tenth of that. Out of 6,593 cases, 42 people have died: o.6%.

While this variation between countries may sound concerning, the rate strongly depends on how many people get tested for the virus. In countries like South Korea and China, which have tested hundreds of thousands of people, the death rate is lower than in, say, the US, which has tested less than 2,000"

• Thanks 1

I’m curious if your ex had an issue with the cruise before all of this COVID19 stuff began? If he has been reasonable up to this point, you may consider how you would feel if the tables were turned and you had concerns about a trip he was planning with your daughter and he still took her against your wishes. I personally would have a very hard time keeping an amicable coparenting relationship if my child’s other parent disregarded me and took them into a situation where I was worried they may get sick or quarantined.

Whether or not to cancel a trip you’ve been excited about is a tough decision and I wish you the best whatever you decide. 

We are long time cruisers and love being on a ship at sea We have some cruises booked for the future but I would not be cruising now. Too risky and we do not want to be in a quarantine situation far away from home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is a very serious disease, especially for people 60 and over.   We don't really have a great understanding of it yet (it has only been three months!) so personally I wouldn't take the risk.  It appears to spread quite well in cruise ships.

The CDC is recommending older people avoid areas of known outbreaks (they have relaxed a bit from what they had posted this afternoon for, um, some reason.)   Children are not immune, they just have a better chance of surviving the virus -- and other types of pneumonia can cause permanent lung damage.   One "asymptomatic" case in a young child showed that he had abnormalities in his lungs caused by the virus.    How his lungs recover after this is anybody's guess.  We don't know the long term effects but you are surely  better off not getting the virus than getting it, and if you can avoid it until we have a vaccine you will be glad that you missed a potentially very unpleasant medical experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Two words to consider......Grand Princess.

Latest news is that a total 21 crew and passengers tested positive for the Corona virus. 

Question remains as to what will happen to the 3000+ passengers on the ship. Will they be quarantined at a nearby military base ? No info on that issue yet.

You, your mother or daughter may not become ill on the cruise you have planned. But, would you want to be quarantined in an area away from home because others on the ship are infected?

Perhaps your ex husband is considering the ramifications of taking a cruise at this time. Particularly, a situation for your daughter that could be less than ideal if she is kept away from school for at least two weeks.

Of course, you will make the final decision. Considering all factors involved, I hope you make the decision that is right for you.

Memory goes fast you forget the grand adventure of the Diamond Princess?

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

I saw a doctor talk about the mortality rate and he said very few people have been tested at this point so the mortality rate is much higher in the early stages of an outbreak. That makes sense. Only the sickest people, the ones more prone to death, are being tested and the people with very mild symptoms aren't even tested (unless they are forced to from a cruise). Some locations like South Korea have a very low death rate, all based on tested people.

I'm not explaining it very well, but this info from Business Insider explains it better.

"The death rate from the new coronavirus is higher in the US so far than anywhere else in the world. The rate, a basic calculation that divides the number of known deaths by the total number of confirmed cases, was about 6% in the US as of Friday morning. Fourteen Americans have died out of less than 250 confirmed cases.

South Korea, which has the second-highest number of cases outside China, has a death rate that's one-tenth of that. Out of 6,593 cases, 42 people have died: o.6%.

While this variation between countries may sound concerning, the rate strongly depends on how many people get tested for the virus. In countries like South Korea and China, which have tested hundreds of thousands of people, the death rate is lower than in, say, the US, which has tested less than 2,000"

The reason the total number of cases are so low in the US is the absolute screw up of the government and the CDC in getting tests in place.  If you don't test then you won't have many will you.   You really think there are hundreds of more healthy spreaders that think they have a mild cold?   Sadly the US didn't do the China thing and shut everyone down.  

Take a look cases are popping up everywhere, they couldn't be happening w/o spreaders that don't know they got it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunwanabe said:

It's like playing Russian Roulette on the high seas. 

Everyone is correct but the above persons statement is the best definition I have heard yet.

I live in FTL where between here and Miami most of the ships in the US sail out of and we had 2 deaths today.

Think of your pets if you are in quarantine and funds lost from not being able to work and on and on.

I am anything but a scardy cat but I would not get on a cruise ship now if it were FREE. I would not be worried about me since I am so OCD but I would be worried about what I cannot control and that is a few thousand other people on the ship

Good luck what ever everyone decides. I canceled my March 26 TA

Kathy

• Like 4