New NCL cancellation policy 3/6/2020

justhappy

4 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

If you spend less than your FCC on a future cruise within the timeframe, your FCC balance with will be reduced to the unspent amount and you can use it toward another cruise.  

In the past, the NCL FCC you got on a CFAR claim had to be used for one purchase. Use or lose. We cancelled an Alaskan cruise. We tried to use the FCC on a cheap Caribbean cruise and were told that we would lose the unspent FCC. We ended up booking another Alaskan cruise. 

1 hour ago, Mrworldwide_88 said:

From the FAQ, it takes up to 7 days to get credit, knowing what their pricing structure is like then it could go wrong and the price goes up

Hah? If you paid $3000 for a cruise, you get a $3000 FCC. The price you paid for your cruise months ago is not affected by the current market. 

9 hours ago, julig22 said:

Not a lawyer, just making a guess and pointing out what I think could be an option.

If you bought the NCL insurance and are eligible for a 75% refund on cruise fare and 100% refund on pre-paid stuff and that is the route you want to go, you should be able to do that.  Your insurance policy is from a 3rd party, just sold by NCL.  Contact them to ask.

On the other hand, if you don't have insurance or you want the FCC, realizing that it includes any pre-paid expenses, then you have that option.

The NCL insurance is/was a 75% FCC, not refund.

Since NCL is giving you 100% compensation for your cancellation, no insurance company is going to pay anything (NCL or private,,, even if you get sick). You do not have a cancellation receipt showing that you lost any money. All insurance companies do the Happy Dance. 

13 hours ago, caterpa said:

My concern isn’t about a FCC.  Like many, I paid for a vacation that cost near 10k for my entire family of 6 (3 rooms) and getting a FCC does nothing to help now pay for an alternate vacation over spring break that I may now have to make over all this.  They just hold on to my 10k?  

If we aren’t able to go or ‘travel isn’t advised’ I want 100% refunded within 2 weeks.  

Good luck on that

13 hours ago, caterpa said:

My concern isn’t about a FCC.  Like many, I paid for a vacation that cost near 10k for my entire family of 6 (3 rooms) and getting a FCC does nothing to help now pay for an alternate vacation over spring break that I may now have to make over all this.  They just hold on to my 10k?  

If we aren’t able to go or ‘travel isn’t advised’ I want 100% refunded within 2 weeks.  

You're not the only one having a laugh!....... 🤣🤣

March 8th cruise. Took the two days pre cruise deviation. Even if we cancel now and risk fighting for fcc, we have already used part of our air benefit. How would we get home? No matter how you slice that it's a logistical nightmare. Then if they let us keep the air back home, it's probably going to be the amount we paid for the cruise, our refund would be zero. Ugh. 

For my May cruise my fare was $1,349 but I paid ($200) less due to credit from NCL Mastercard World points.

Would my FCC be based on the $1,349 or $1,149? When I did an upgrade last year the spread was based on my pre-discount price. So does the FCC really just cover the Fare + Port Fees

Also, is the $195 I paid for  Booksafe protection excluded? 

In that instance I could be better of  taking a chance of filing a claim? If it is refused, I would get 90% credit but even that is ambiguous- what is it exactly 90% of? What you paid or the original fare before discounts?

Also, they need to consider not everyone goes on a cruise ever year or even every 2 years. 

Once you cancel you have a year to rebook and there are no 2022 routes announced

1 hour ago, coolhandjiohnson said:

My guess is to wait it out  and see if the cruise line will be forced to offer real time refunds in cash to people who want to opt to cancel.  I do not want all of my money sitting on a future cruise credit, in my case about 3k.  

If I were on a ship and I purchased a future cruise credit it would only cost about $100 per person and final payments would be at my discretion.  I like to be in control of my own destiny.

Remember this, If the cruise lines cancels the cruise you should get all your money back in cash.  If you (the traveler) cancels the cruise you will lose money.  This Future Cruise Credit is BS.  They could have offered it earlier.  They want to stay in control of YOUR MONEY.  They act like they are doing you a favor (or are they?)

NOW THAT  THE GOVERNMENT IS INQUIRING AND GETTING INVOLVED AND NOW THAT THE CORONA VIRUS CONTINUES T0 ESCALATE WE MAY SEE SOME ACTION.  I SUGGEST WAITING IT OUT....what do you think?

Thats what Im doing. We are first time cruisers and really dont want to go anymore. We are going to Bermuda in May from NY. When pricing my same cruise later in the year its going to cost me 1000.00 more that what Im paying  now. I dont want them to be able to hold 4500.00 of my money for a year or more. My daughter is on immune surpressing medicine and my  80 year old mother lives with me. No vacation is worth either of them getting sick. Im hoping for a refund. Theyre not doing us any favors. My particular cruises prices are jacked up in the future so theyll still make money off of me. 

13 hours ago, Mrworldwide_88 said:

So, in theory, my price has dropped. I could cancel then rebook the same cruise with credit. What happens to the credit that I dont use?

We did that, but used the difference to book a higher class room. If you don't want a better room, they will give you 25% of the difference in onboard credit. IDK if their policy has changed on this with the virus, but this is their standard. 

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

My July cruise final payment date was changed from 120 days to 90 days.  I hope they are not going to change if back to 120 days based on their payment/deposit schedule.

YES, they changed it back to 120 days!  That pisses me off!

Edited by disneylover89

21 minutes ago, msmaetravels said:

We did that, but used the difference to book a higher class room. If you don't want a better room, they will give you 25% of the difference in onboard credit. IDK if their policy has changed on this with the virus, but this is their standard. 

To clarify, we actually did this the day before the new policy was announced.  We are still hoping to sail. If NCL cancels, we would hope to get a refund, not FCC.

3 hours ago, Nn2036 said:

So you are still going tomorrow. I will cancel my tomorrow cruise today. I will fight them for FCC later. The risk is too much for me to get on the cruise this point.

Very very reluctantly. I dont want to have a stroke fighting with NCL over this. Rest assured if anything goes south i will ***** from my hospital bed.

It floors me the people not caught in this sail date of march 7 and march 8th is trying to figure out how to cancel and get a rebooking at cheaper price.  All we want is the same mercy as everyone booked march 10th and forward.

i have a December cruise booked (using 2 cruise next). I may cancel that one and say keep your cruise next .

i am platinum with NCL and have enjoyed every cruise but i am still allowed to get pissed.

i will send an email but it is going to be a waste of my time.

5 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Very very reluctantly. I dont want to have a stroke fighting with NCL over this. Rest assured if anything goes south i will ***** from my hospital bed.

It floors me the people not caught in this sail date of march 7 and march 8th is trying to figure out how to cancel and get a rebooking at cheaper price.  All we want is the same mercy as everyone booked march 10th and forward.

i have a December cruise booked (using 2 cruise next). I may cancel that one and say keep your cruise next .

i am platinum with NCL and have enjoyed every cruise but i am still allowed to get pissed.

i will send an email but it is going to be a waste of my time.

Relax...do you get this bent out of shape prior to every cruise?  I mean you could always pick up norovirus on a cruise....fearmongering!

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

In the past, the NCL FCC you got on a CFAR claim had to be used for one purchase. Use or lose. We cancelled an Alaskan cruise. We tried to use the FCC on a cheap Caribbean cruise and were told that we would lose the unspent FCC. We ended up booking another Alaskan cruise. 

That's not the case here. You will not lose the unspent FCC.

Please read the FAQs about the new policy https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence?intcmp=pro_hp_PEACEOFMIND

If the cruise fare for the new booking exceeds the FCC’s value, guests will be responsible for the difference. Alternatively, if the new cruise fare is lower than the FCC’s value, a new FCC will be issued for the remaining balance.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bbixler18 said:

Relax...do you get this bent out of shape prior to every cruise?  I mean you could always pick up norovirus on a cruise....fearmongering!

I don’t think they are overreacting one bit.  It’s easy for those of us booked after March 10th -  we actually have a choice. Those booked for the March 8th cruise weren’t even considered which is not fair and my heart goes out to you bbixler18.  Praying you and your fellow travelers are kept safe and still can have a positive experience on your trip.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bbixler18 said:

No i do not (this will be cruise #25). I am smart enough to know how to avoid norm. It is mostly a hygiene thing.  This virus is definitely airborne so a big difference buttercup. Sadly ignorance plays a big roll in a lot of things.

i often wonder if the ones that have such nasty comments were in the case of the person complaining how they would feel.shoe on the other foot so to speak.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

No i do not (this will be cruise #25). I am smart enough to know how to avoid norm. It is mostly a hygiene thing.  This virus is definitely airborne so a big difference buttercup. Sadly ignorance plays a big roll in a lot of things.

i often wonder if the ones that have such nasty comments were in the case of the person complaining how they would feel.shoe on the other foot so to speak.

So if this virus is airborne buttercup then you are staying home, right?  Because you certainly couldn't catch it anywhere else....good lord

20 minutes ago, bbixler18 said:

So if this virus is airborne buttercup then you are staying home, right?  Because you certainly couldn't catch it anywhere else....good lord

You cant control 3000 other people on a ship or in ports. You can choose to stay home and avoid certain places if need be. Just because you dont find it to be a big deal that doesnt mean others dont have hesitations. As far as the whole only older people and people with pre existing conditions thing goes, are their lives not as valuable as some cruise ships bottom line? Some of us have real reasons for wanting to cancel and I feel for that poster. Hopefully you go on your cruise and enjoy and dont come down with coronavirus and spread it to people who cant fight it off as well. Maybe even someone is your own family. Would that be fearmongering then? 

2 minutes ago, fjg473 said:

You cant control 3000 other people on a ship or in ports. You can choose to stay home and avoid certain places if need be. Just because you dont find it to be a big deal that doesnt mean others dont have hesitations. As far as the whole only older people and people with pre existing conditions thing goes, are their lives not as valuable as some cruise ships bottom line? Some of us have real reasons for wanting to cancel and I feel for that poster. Hopefully you go on your cruise and enjoy and dont come down with coronavirus and spread it to people who cant fight it off as well. Maybe even someone is your own family. Would that be fearmongering then? 

You're missing the point.  It's not about avoiding certain places....if you truly are hesitant about this virus you need to avoid EVERYTHING.  And people aren't going to do that.  

Just now, bbixler18 said:

You're missing the point.  It's not about avoiding certain places....if you truly are hesitant about this virus you need to avoid EVERYTHING.  And people aren't going to do that.  

No you are missing the point. Its not possible to avoid EVERYTHING. It is possible to avoid places that may be huge spreaders of an illness and lessen the chances of coming down it. Youre ridiculing someone who has decided cruising is not a great idea right now. Risks going on a cruise right now is not equal to the risks of being in your own town and deciding who youre going to expose yourself to.Theres a reason why airlines and cruise ships are doing what theyre doing.Because its a bigger risk to travel than not travel right now. 

17 hours ago, Lou33 said:

There may be certain cruises where so many people are cancelling that NCL decides to cancel the whole cruise.  So what happens in that case?  Since you no longer have a choice, would NCL be forced to give you a refund?  Will they still try to hold your money hostage?

I expect cruises to be cancelled, so, I am holding off cancelling mine for a while, at least.  I have to think if the cruise line cancels the cruise, we should be getting full refund.

• Like 1