What happens if the bookings are so low Carnival cancels

choppe

My first cruise was shortly after 9/11.  So many people cancelled cruises that Carnival bumped us up to a bigger boat, better itinerary, and compensated us for the different travel costs.  They just combined sailings across the board.  

• Thanks 1

I think most people are more worried about being quarantined than the virus and that's why they are choosing to cancel.
They have never had anyone quarantined for the flu or Noro before.

Being quarantined is absolutely our concern.

Past cruises:
Carnival Pride - Nov 2019 *Plat Cruise
Carnival Paradise - Aug 2018
Carnival Vista - Repo - Nov 2016
Carnival Breeze - Sept 2014 & Feb 2019 
Carnival Conquest - Dec 2015
NCL Epic - Nov 2013 *Review*
Carnival Liberty - Nov 2010 ,Mar 2012 & Dec 2012 
Carnival Valor - Nov 2008

Coming up:
NCL Gem  - June 2020 - Bermuda
Costs Rica - Family Land Vacay - Dec 2020
Carnival Horizon - April 2021 - ABC cruise
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CarolSW said:

I can’t see both Vista and Freedom cruising out of Galveston half empty or less.  I would think they would combine to have one fuller ship.  But I am not in the cruise industry so I don’t know how they think in light of a situation like this. 

I'm cruising out of Galveston only and the cheapest I've seen was a week ago, 299 pp inside and up.

Nothing else so far that cheap, but I'm watching.

Imo at reduced prices, someone will be willing to go, like me lol. I cant cruise yet, stuff to do, but after this I hope to hop some bargain prices. Galveston is probably the safest port, fewer fly in because you cant fly to Galveston so most drive from the middle of the country.

Crossing my fingers ... but I doubt ships are half full. They just offer lower prices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Unless government mandated or so strong a recommendation that basically does the same thing, IMHO, there is almost zero chance of not sailing.   They might have to discount significantly, but there is more at stake than that sailing.  They (and it is a collective they, meaning the industry) have to reestablish their business as soon as they can.  I cannot say this strong enough, it is critical.  

Good post, I'm with you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

i just saw some cruises to the bahamas for 45$ a person. 4 days. i'm trying to convince my husband to skip work and take a quick vacay.

Heck yea.

Best I've seen is the dream, 5 days, less than $200, I'm solo, so x 2, I could do a b2b 5 plus 5 days on dream. Nice ship, surprised it's doing shorter cruises. I'd guess solo, $800 range, taxes for one pax. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Heck yea.

Best I've seen is the dream, 5 days, less than $200, I'm solo, so x 2, I could do a b2b 5 plus 5 days on dream. Nice ship, surprised it's doing shorter cruises. I'd guess solo, $800 range, taxes for one pax. 

i saw suites going for 300$/person. i was trying to convince my husband that for once we could afford a suite!

4 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

i saw suites going for 300$/person. i was trying to convince my husband that for once we could afford a suite!

Suites arent much better than a balcony, dont want a bathtub, but if you are into them, nice.

Wouldnt see better rates like these for many years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topofE said:

My first cruise was shortly after 9/11.  So many people cancelled cruises that Carnival bumped us up to a bigger boat, better itinerary, and compensated us for the different travel costs.  They just combined sailings across the board.  

That is what I think will happen....combined sailings, even more so now that there are so many more ships than there were after 9/11.

48 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

i just saw some cruises to the bahamas for 45$ a person. 4 days. i'm trying to convince my husband to skip work and take a quick vacay.

You can always find prices this low, throughout the year, during non-peak times. Now a 4 day for like $100 or $125 total, that would be a deal/sale. 

2 minutes ago, gtonda said:

You can always find prices this low, throughout the year, during non-peak times. Now a 4 day for like $100 or $125 total, that would be a deal/sale. 

45 a person plus taxes, is about 100, less than 125 I'd guess with taxes.

Maybe you are thinking per day not per cruise? Well I'm solo so taxes for one. Depends how many in cabin for taxes and port fees.

• Like 1

45 a person plus taxes, is about 100, less than 125 I'd guess with taxes.

Maybe you are thinking per day not per cruise? Well I'm solo so taxes for one. Depends how many in cabin for taxes and port fees.

Ah, yes. I read that as $45 per day. If it's $45 total (pre taxes and fees, of course) that's a great deal! 

• Like 1

I saw a post yesterday for a $44 cruise, wish I lived in florida.

Yep, those are the times I feel like it would be nice to live there, but not sure that I could. Lol. I am not far from you. I am in Frisco. 

I've been watching junior suites and suites for a few days.  So far, nothing has opened up on our cruise (next month).  I haven't checked the other rooms, but based on that, I'm wondering how many are actually cancelling. 

• Like 1

This thread is very interesting - 

I think it’s inevitable that this virus will be coming to a ship near you soon. The Princess ships are just the start and there will be many hard decisions for the cruislines to make. How bad will it be and what they will do is unknown as the easy part is getting the passengers off. But they have thousands of staff members on board and they all stay cruise after cruise and so they can constantly infect more people. I don’t care what the symptoms are or want to bet on the severity of the virus for any one individual - healthy of compromised, but this isn’t going away and the cruislines have the most exposure and risk while people are on the ships as there is nowhere to go. 
I would cruise again tomorrow but anyone leaving has to be real and realize their vacation may be delayed, cut short, or changed and then they may need to take 2 weeks off after if there is an outbreak on their ship. I don’t want this to happen but this is the undeniable reality as we know it today. 

8 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

So how old is elderly?????? I cruise at the end of this month. I intend on bring 30 days of medications and plenty to read. Unless they cancel the cruise, or deny me boarding because I am old, I will be there. 

I was on a conference calls with the chief public health officer.  He referred to over 50 as higher risk.  I don't think it is considered elderly but that is what he identified as the higher risk age group. 

1 minute ago, 1kaper said:

I was on a conference calls with the chief public health officer.  He referred to over 50 as higher risk.  I don't think it is considered elderly but that is what he identified as the higher risk age group. 

LOL  i am 52 and i am nowhere near elderly.    We will be cruising april 4th.   Its me 52  my DD 14 and my mom  79.   My mom is completely healthy and so she is going.    I couldnt make her not go if i wanted to  LOL

8 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

The virus isn’t killing anyone that the flu wouldn’t kill. You make it sound like everyone infected is going to die. This unnecessary drama is getting old. Very soon its going to be too late to bother with the quarantine containment and then the real people who need to worry about getting infected will have to deal with this virus like they deal with every other virus they could catch.

I agree.  I think sooner or later, the majority of people who go out in public will be exposed in one way or another just like the flu.  I really don't think quarantines will stop it.  I know doing things like shutting down schools for the flu may work because it will run its course locally.  But shutting down events now won't help in two weeks when even more people are diagnosed.  I think it will run its course whether we have quarantined people or not.  Unless everyone never leaves their homes and nobody travels, it's just going to happen.  My opinion only.  Better to go on living life.  The high risk people for this virus I would bet are also high risk for the flu.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 3

I was in a meeting with our local health officials this week and they said to expect to hear about many, many more confirmed cases, but only because more tests are becoming available and people are being tested. Most people who get it will never be tested because they will only have some sniffles or mild cold symptoms and won't see a doctor. They said that there was no reason to curtail activities unless you are a high-risk, but to just take typical precautions (frequent hand-washing, etc).

• Like 3