What happens if the bookings are so low Carnival cancels

choppe

On 3/7/2020 at 9:39 AM, Brad1185 said:

What’s happened so far to princess ships is the tip of the iceberg. Don’t see how the cruise lines will recover from this. I think your going to see hundreds of ships sitting idle. People are not going to chance going on a cruise only to face a 2 week quarantine. Just wait until  another couple of ships has the infection on board. The cancellations for future cruises will ramp up where they will have no choice and will have to completely shut down.  

They have not started really discounting cruises yet that I could find. Seems like if they were anticipating docking ships they would get right with prices. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:11 AM, CarolSW said:

Here is my original post that I edited because I thought it was off topic of ships cancelling.

But since bury me at sea quoted it faster than I got the edit done, this is what I said, for what it’s worth. :

I have heretofore been in the “this is being blown out of proportion” opinion, until now.

i realize I am in the higher risk group - over 60 - but I do not have underlying medical concerns other than age.  I don’t expect to get sick, but then who really does?  It has been a long time since I have had an illness that knocked me down for more than a day.

That said, even if I did get exposed to covid19, and contracted it with minor symptoms, I have close family members who are even younger than me who DO have compromised immune systems.  They do not need me exposing them to this - or any - virus.  Thinking of those dear to me being put at greater risk because of me is changing my mind about a lot of things.  

Maybe just stay away from those members of your family for two weeks after you get back.

• Like 1

I will repeat what I have said and what Jimbo has said, and what Greg have said....we are sailing in uncharted waters...that is to say, we all have never experienced this kind of nasty bug before....at least not in my lifetime....This is now a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. I'm 72 years old and have NEVER experienced a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. Have you all?? I doubt it. I honestly do not think that TEOTWAWKI.  Folks we have many adjustments to make int the coming weeks, and months...possibly years. Damn. I hate those 'adjustments'. But I am a realist, and an optimist. When we adjust to the new lifestyle, we will survive, and all come out just fine. Hell, I still want to be around to sail when I'm 80 and even 90! 

Fair winds, and following seas. 🥂

https://www.freep.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/12/coronavirus-viking-cruises-suspends-cruise-operations-until-may-1/5030006002/

Well, now Viking is shutting down operations for the next two months. Wonder if anyone else will follow. I didn't think this day would come but apparently I underestimated the response to this virus. In my home city we have had zero cases but every big public event for the next two weeks have been cancelled. 

9 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I will repeat what I have said and what Jimbo has said, and what Greg have said....we are sailing in uncharted waters...that is to say, we all have never experienced this kind of nasty bug before....at least not in my lifetime....This is now a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. I'm 72 years old and have NEVER experienced a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. Have you all?? I doubt it. I honestly do not think that TEOTWAWKI.  Folks we have many adjustments to make int the coming weeks, and months...possibly years. Damn. I hate those 'adjustments'. But I am a realist, and an optimist. When we adjust to the new lifestyle, we will survive, and all come out just fine. Hell, I still want to be around to sail when I'm 80 and even 90! 

Fair winds, and following seas. 🥂

Actually you have.  The swine flu in 2009 / 2010 is classified as a global pandemic.