Carnival Magic denied stop at Grand Turk Fri 3/6/20

mcw331

I just saw a report that the Carnival Magic was denied disembarkation at Grand Turk stop yesterday 3/6/20.  They had several patients with Flu-like symptoms but no CDC of WHO criteria for COVID-19 testing.  They additionally state the Veendam was not allowed to disembark on that same day.

This has to be frustrating for the cruise industry because it is probably impossible for a ship at this time of year to NOT have at least a few passengers or crew develop flu-like symptoms.  We are monitoring closely as we leave on the Nieuw Amsterdam March 14th with a stop on Grand Turk March 18th. With the new updated generous cancellation guidelines we have until Wednesday to make our final go/no go decision.  As of now we are going but this could be the straw the sways us the other way. 

It will be interesting to see if they refuse upcoming stops there in the next few days:

March 9th Carnival Horizon   

March 11th Nieuw Statendam & Carnival Magic

March 12th Nieuw Amsterdam & Carnival Breeze

March 14th Azura

March 16th Carnival Magic & Carnival Sensation

Edited by Host Carolyn
Accuracy

This is so incredibly frustrating.  My family and I are on the Nieuw Statendam on April 12th and want to really go but don't want to go on a half empty ship, miss ports, possibly get quarantined and/or sick... 

just don't know what to do... ugh!!

1 minute ago, Jefflaw77 said:

This is so incredibly frustrating.  My family and I are on the Nieuw Statendam on April 12th and want to really go but don't want to go on a half empty ship, miss ports, possibly get quarantined and/or sick... 

just don't know what to do... ugh!!

True very frustrating.

We would not mind the half empty ship 🙂 BUT missing ports for no vaild reason (out of HAL's control) and possible getting quarantined (missing work) certainly concern me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mcw331 said:

True very frustrating.

We would not mind the half empty ship 🙂 BUT missing ports for no vaild reason (out of HAL's control) and possible getting quarantined (missing work) certainly concern me.

We're going with kids and they loved the HAL kids program last time..  we're going for Easter break so assume there will be more kids than usual.. but, now - who knows.  The quarantine thing is what scares me most- all it takes is one person and it sounds like a nightmare from that point on.... ugh!!!

Edited by Jefflaw77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jefflaw77 said:

We're going with kids and they loved the HAL kids program last time..  we're going for Easter break so assume there will be more kids than usual.. but, now - who knows.  The quarantine thing is what scares me most- all it takes is one person and it sounds like a nightmare from that point on.... ugh!!!

True we are traveling with our kids also 8 years old.  Everybody is healthy so I am less worried if we were to catch something BUT the quarantine is a tough one.  For those of us that choose to keep our booking we better be prepared for it. Like really try and have a balcony.

11 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Don't complain. The Royal Princess has cancelled. Passengers told at the dock. Last heard, Carnival ship delayed sailing. Status unclear.

I’ve been watching their threads-Grand Princess too with issues.  Crazy. 

35 minutes ago, Jefflaw77 said:

Where ?

Long Beach. She shows up docked there on Marine Traffic and the Carnival Panorama is still at the pier next to the Queen Mary. ANd while at it the Grand Princess is still going in circles off of San Francisco. 

We don't cruise again till December for the Holidays but I did say to mom today that depending on where this issue is at come final payment time, were not going and my mom agreed. 

And now Ruby Princess is not allowing passengers to disembark in Sydney.  It is Sunday morning there.

Grand Princess - Cruising in circles for days outside of San Francisco

Royal Princess - Cancelled cruise from San Pedro for undetermined reason today (I've only read theories.)

Ruby Princess - Currently delayed debarkation in Sydney

Carnival Panorama - Waiting for COVID-19 testing results because 1 person got sick and was not allowed to disembark passengers in Long Beach today.

I wonder what other ships have been delayed today.  It's not like there are 400 people on board each ship that are sick.  

Edited by Taters

2 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I’ve been watching their threads-Grand Princess too with issues.  Crazy. 

Actually, I'm encouraged. The governments are really taking it seriously. Just watched the news. Ottawa and Victoria are encouraging people not to cruise. 

Edited by HappyInVan

Carnival Panorama in Long Beach California just reported the person that was removed from the ship this morning has tested negative for COVID-19.  Ship will leave one day late tomorrow.

Edited by oakridger
fixed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are currently on the Veendam.  No problems with getting off the ship in ports.  We were allowed to disembark at Grand Turk on 3/6; San Juan on 3/7; and just cleared to disembark today (3/8) at St Thomas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sohoda said:

We are currently on the Veendam.  No problems with getting off the ship in ports.  We were allowed to disembark at Grand Turk on 3/6; San Juan on 3/7; and just cleared to disembark today (3/8) at St Thomas.

Thank you for posting a FACT as opposed to rumour and speculation. 

Please continue to update us on your situation and the situation of other ships that share the port with you.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Taters said:

And now Ruby Princess is not allowing passengers to disembark in Sydney.  It is Sunday morning there.

======================
Can’t write outside this box for some reason. 

We were in Sydney (Amsterdam world cruise) Saturday and Sunday. Passengers got off yesterday (Sat) and next cruise passengers got on today (Sun) after the ship was cleaned. We ran into several people waiting to get on while we were in The Rocks today that told us that. They are headed to New Zealand. 

Linda R. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, sohoda said:

Great to hear!!!!! 

Do you know if the Carnival Magic was actually refused disembarkation on your day in Grand Turk?

Veendam cruise has been fine.  Nice weather in Grand Turk, San Juan, and St Thomas.  Seas have been smooth until last night/today - but that is not Holland America’s fault.

Ship is lovely; staff are very upbeat and attentive.  Coronavirus was an issue before we boarded but much more concerning to us now.  Dining room first seating is close to half empty.  Lectures are not well attended, but the evening show we attended had a nice crowd.  We ourselves are spending a great deal of time in our room/balcony.

No reports of illness on board that we have heard of.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 9:23 PM, mcw331 said:

I just saw a report that the Carnival Magic was denied disembarkation at Grand Turk stop yesterday 3/6/20.  They had several patients with Flu-like symptoms but no CDC of WHO criteria for COVID-19 testing.  They additionally state the Veendam was not allowed to disembark on that same day.

This has to be frustrating for the cruise industry because it is probably impossible for a ship at this time of year to NOT have at least a few passengers or crew develop flu-like symptoms.  We are monitoring closely as we leave on the Nieuw Amsterdam March 14th with a stop on Grand Turk March 18th. With the new updated generous cancellation guidelines we have until Wednesday to make our final go/no go decision.  As of now we are going but this could be the straw the sways us the other way. 

It will be interesting to see if they refuse upcoming stops there in the next few days:

March 9th Carnival Horizon   

March 11th Nieuw Statendam & Carnival Magic

March 12th Nieuw Amsterdam & Carnival Breeze

March 14th Azura

March 16th Carnival Magic & Carnival Sensation

This will be worth watching.  If all passengers are healthy and all crew is healthy, it should be no problem.  FDR once said " The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. "  There is an inordinate amount of fear these days!  In the States much of it is generated by some with ulterior motives, in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sohoda said:

Veendam cruise has been fine.  Nice weather in Grand Turk, San Juan, and St Thomas.  Seas have been smooth until last night/today - but that is not Holland America’s fault.

Ship is lovely; staff are very upbeat and attentive.  Coronavirus was an issue before we boarded but much more concerning to us now.  Dining room first seating is close to half empty.  Lectures are not well attended, but the evening show we attended had a nice crowd.  We ourselves are spending a great deal of time in our room/balcony.

No reports of illness on board that we have heard of.

Thank you so much!  Safe travels to you and please update if anything changes.